• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Love Bites

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]
Now to the question, would I be able to run towards Woe make an acrobatics check, use him as a stepladder, then jump towards the dragon and be in range to use one of my ranged attacks, executioners noose ( Range 5). Or be able to grab the dragons leg to force it down to the ground?

No need to get frisky with Woe if you want to use executioner's noose. The dragon is 15 ft. = 3 squares up. EN has range 5 squares, so you're fine.

And for those who are stunned: The -2 to attacks is an aftereffect; it's not active until after the dragon's next turn. So no point rolling saves against it.
[/sblock]

Atriden

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Thanks for the quick answer Covaithe :)
[/sblock]

Dragon said:
The dragon spreads its wings, roaring in triumph and flexing its claws, and a wave of magical fear rolls off of it, freezing everyone nearby in place except for Atreus.

" Yes, triumph as much as you can but I am afraid it will be short lived " and the Assassin channels his shadow powers and shoots forth his black tendrils but despite his best efforts the dragon dodges them and is unaffected.

Disappointed the dragon didn't come down to the ground, Atreus tries antagonize the dragon to come down and fight " I do not fear death nor do I fear you! Come down and fight me and prove that you are something else than an large lizard with wings! "

[sblock=Actions]
Free Action: Shrouds the dragon
Move Action: Nothing
Standard: Attacks the dragon with Executioners noose, hits fort 17 and does + 3 times shroud damage, total = does not hit. Looses one shroud on target.... Damn, wanted to pull the dragon down!
Minor: nothing
[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
Kathalia howls pitifully at the dragon, and then transforms back into an elf.

"How am I supposed to get all bitey if you're way up in the air?" she sulks. She picks up her bow and tries another shot, but it falls short again. (Ranged basic attack misses)

"Don't worry Hacker, Kathalia-Walia is coming to help!"

[sblock=Kathalia Stat Block]
Kathalia, Elf Druid 3
Passive Perception 22, Passive Insight 15
AC 19, Fort 14, Reflex 17, Will 17
HP 36/36 Bloodied 18, Surge Value 9, Surges 7/9
Speed 8, Initiative +5
Action Points: 1

Current Effects
Elf Form
Speed 12 while in wolf form till end of encounter

Encounter Resources
Darting Bite
Predator's Flurry
Elven Accuracy (+ feat)
Screaming Hide Armor
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Healing Word
Amulet of Resolution
USED Fleet Pursuit
USED Fires of Life
[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=Tactics]Ok, I'm tempted to use Channel Divinity: Divine Guidance to give someone a double roll on an attack to pull/slide/knock prone the dragon so we can get him on the ground. The attack Atreus just made has the best odds of doing that this round (unless Woe can find a way to use Knockdown Assault while out of reach and stunned).

I'm just wondering if we'd like to save the double roll? Does anyone have any more dailies or enconters that would help us a bunch if they land? I don't see any offhand, but it's late and I'm trying to put this post together quickly so I can sleep. ;) If not, I think getting the dragon on the ground so us melee types can get at it is a priority. Piling on some high-damage turns like Mikara did could end this in a hurry, which is a good thing for us.[/sblock][sblock=DM Questions]Would you allow me to use Divine Guidance to give Atreus a double roll on his attack, even though he's already gone?

Also a question for the future, I've got a couple questions about the effect on Oath of the Final Duel. I could use the effect to teleport to a square within reach of the dragon, even if that square is in the air, right? Would I be able to attack before/while falling after the teleport? The standard Acrobatics check to reduce falling damage would also apply, correct? Just trying to see if it'd be a viable option to get in reach if the dragon's flying. [/sblock]

Atriden

First Post
[sblock=Tactics]
Nice channel divinity power! Well, I am up for it if Covaithe allows it, otherwise I will try use an encounter power next round, so that the dragon gives me combat advantage and then try again with executioners noose.
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]And for those who are stunned: The -2 to attacks is an aftereffect; it's not active until after the dragon's next turn. So no point rolling saves against it.
[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]In that case, can I roll my save vs. stunned again when the time comes? That last one sucked![/sblock][sblock=Tactics]Mikara's all out of Dailies and Encounters, except for Yield Ground (which doesn't help here). All she has left is Twin Strike and Nimble Strike.

Anything that gives double rolls (or attack bonuses for that matter) is welcome since an AC 23 is not exactly easy to hit :erm:.

I think I'm going to find it frustrating that Mik can't get in close to use her prime shot without getting in the way or becoming a target of OAs. She needs a feat that gives an attack bonus if she's furthest away ;). Is there such a thing?[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
//Hacker has Blunder which lets him slide a target 2 squares and provide an ally with a melee attack against that target. That would be a good candidate for the Divine Guidance.//

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=answers]
Would you allow me to use Divine Guidance to give Atreus a double roll on his attack, even though he's already gone?

In general, yes, since it's an immediate interrupt. In this case, no, because you're stunned and can't take actions, including immediate actions.

Also a question for the future, I've got a couple questions about the effect on Oath of the Final Duel. I could use the effect to teleport to a square within reach of the dragon, even if that square is in the air, right? Would I be able to attack before/while falling after the teleport? The standard Acrobatics check to reduce falling damage would also apply, correct? Just trying to see if it'd be a viable option to get in reach if the dragon's flying.

Yes, yes, and yes.

In that case, can I roll my save vs. stunned again when the time comes? That last one sucked!

Gonna go with no, on the grounds that I let you keep your good rolls for Cut and Run earlier. Consistency and all that. You'll be happy to hear, though, that stunned is only tent (dragon); it's the aftereffect of -2 to attacks that needs the save.
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 5

Atreus gestures, trying to pull the dragon to earth with ki alone, but the dragon is too strong. Nevertheless, it is wracked with pain as the dark magic courses exerts its pull.

Kathalia, pouting, transforms back into an elf and looses another arrow, to little effect.

The dragon, still smarting from Mikara's arrows, circles behind the elf and lands. It lashes out with claws and sharp tail, slashing both Mikara and Tristan, who are unable to defend themselves. Both elves are bleeding heavily, ready to drop at any moment.

[sblock=ooc]Atreus shrouds, then invokes his shrouds and misses. By my reading, this still does two shrouds worth of damage. I rolled a 1d3=3 to see which of the d6's you rolled gets dropped, so that's 8 damage to the dragon. But it's not pulled, and now it has no shrouds.

Kathalia transforms back and misses.

Mikara takes 5 ongoing acid, is bloodied, and doesn't save. She's stunned and can't act.

Tristan takes 5 ongoing acid, is bloodied, and owes me a saving throw at -2 (from the aura). He's stunned and can't act.

Woe and Hacker are also stunned.

The dragon recharges breath. It circles behind mikara and tristan and lands, and uses slicing fury to do a claw attack on Mikara and a tail attack on Tristan: 22 vs. AC hits Mikara for 10, and Mikara is immobilized and takes 5 ongoing (untyped) damage (save ends both). 27 vs. AC hits Tristan for 6 damage, and Tristan is immobilized and takes 5 ongoing (untyped) damage (save ends both). Both Mikara and Tristan will drop unconscious at the start of their turns, unless they get some healing. (ETA: Actually, Tristan still needs to make a saving throw for round 5, which if he makes, he'll still be standing for round 6. Barely.)

Dragon's turn ends; nobody is stunned anymore, but Woe, Hacker, Mikara, and Tristan take -2 to attacks (se).

Dragon is on the ground now. Everyone is up.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Initiative and status]

• Atreus 39/39 hp +3 temp, 9/9 surges
  • Woe 45/46 hp, 9/11 surges, -2 to attacks (se)
  • Mikara 6/34 hp, 5/7 surges, 5 ong acid and immobilized (se both), -2 to attacks (se), 5 ong and immobilized (se both), bloodied
  • Dragon 123 damage, mikara's quarry, enemies heal 4 when hitting
  • Kathalia 36/36 hp, 7/9 surges, fleet pursuit
  • Hacker 36/36 hp, 6/9 surges, -2 to attacks (se)
  • Tristan 8/34 hp, 8/9 surges, 5 ong acid and immobilized (se both), -2 to attacks (se), 5 ong and immobilized (se both), bloodied

Resources Used:
  • Kathalia: Fires of Life, Fleet pursuit
  • Atreus: AP
  • Mikara: AP, Hunter's Bear Trap, Evasive Strike, Elven Accuracy, Cut and Run
  • Hacker: AP, Concerted effort, Stirring Shout
  • Tristan: AP, Luckblade, 1 daily magic item power
  • dragon: APx2, frightful presence

[/sblock]

[sblock=enemy stats]Dragon: HP 260, AC 23, Fort 22, Ref 21, Will 21. BMA +10 vs. AC, 1d8+5 damage and the target is immobilized and takes 5 ongoing damage (save ends both)
Aura of Terror: enemies within 5 take -2 on saving throws.
[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
lakebed05.png

The hill near T30 is low, only 5' higher at the top than at the bottom. It could theoretically give cover or possibly improved cover in the right circumstances.

The cactus takes up all of the square that its trunk is in; it can be used for cover or improved cover like any tree.

The rock in M5-N7 is about 3 feet high, and can provide cover.

[/sblock]

Remove ads