• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

4E [Adventure]: Murder at Midnight (DM: renau1g, Judge Ozy)

renau1g

Villager
Murder at Midnight!
Adventure for Levels 6 - 7
Characters:


  • Papolstaanas (Mewness): Male Kobold Battlemind, Level 7
  • Kaeysari (BenBrown): Female Shifter Fighter, Level 7
  • Eloan (Velmont): Male Eladrin Warlord, Level 7
  • 7 Rabbit (JoeNotCharles): Male Dwarf Dwarf Star Pact Sorcerer, Level 6
  • Illarion Merielle (Neurotic): Male Changeling Sorcerer, Level 6
  • Gil (CaBaNa): Male Human Artificer/Wizard, Level 6

I made these rules a long time ago. I'm older and wiser now, but I still think they're good rules ;) <- I stole these from [MENTION=79440]H.M.Gimlord[/MENTION], thanks :D
[sblock=Rules and other fine print]

OK. Sit back, get out your legal dictionary and settle in for a good cure to insomnia.... No. Seriously.

:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S

Player Info:
I encourage you to include mini stat blocks in your posts, or at least a link to your character sheet in your signature. Mini-stat blocks allow you to keep track of your own healing surges, power usages, acquired items, etc... without having to ask the DM all the time (Don't worry. I won't be a jerk if you forget).


[sblock=Example mini-stats]
Arkavas - deva artivicer 4

Initiative: +2, Passive perception: 20, Passive Insight: 15

Defenses:
AC: 21, For: 16, Ref: 18, Will: 17

Vitality:
HP: 41, Surges: 4 AP: 1

Languages:
Common, Goblin, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Supernal

Basic Attacks:
Melee: +11 vs AC, 1d12+6
Ranged: +4 vs AC, 1d8

Powers:
Thundering Armor, Magic Weapon
Scouring Weapon, Force Infusion
Caustic Rampart

Weapons:
Staff of Ruin +1, Vengefull Fullblate +1, Repeating Crossbow, Amulet of Protection +1

Healing Infusions 2:
Choose From:
Curative Admixture,
Resistive Formula,

[/sblock]

Passive checks: I will roll passive checks from time to time.

If these checks result in information (i.e.: there are arrow holes in the walls of this corridor, that dragon has one eye open, etc...), I will reveal the information in a spoiler specifically addressed to one or more characters. If you are not one of the intended characters, please do not read these spoilers. The character, however, is welcome to, in character, reveal the contents of the spoiler to the others. I'm not going to police this or anything, but the story goes more like a story, when it's done this way. Please feel free to get into your character with the information you have (or don’t have).

If the passive check results in a turn of events (i.e.: a trap springing, a monster gaining surprise, failure to realize that the guy was lying all the time) the passive roll will be posted at the time that the event happens.

Combat: Malenkirk Rules! I’m taking on too much already to worry about keeping track of initiative and who got hit when. I’ll post monster stats from either the Compendium or the Adventure Tools offered by D&D Insider. Some of the bad guys have been customized for this adventure.

DM Posts during combat will include:

Status of all players, monsters, NPCs etc... indicating Name, Location, HP/MaxHP, State, Healing Surges Left, Action Points left (i.e.:: Arkavas I6 -1/41 Dying HS 0 AP 1)

Map in the form of a grid with Battleship style coordinates

Enemy Mini Stat Blocks
including HP, AC, Fort, Refl, Will, Immunities, Resistance, and Basic Attack. If there are more specialized powers, I will post them at the time of their use.


Time's Up!: I will give players 48 hours to post, at the end of which time I reserve the right to RP the player's character on his behalf. I will use the most appropriate actions and At-Will powers only.

(this is rule created by Velmont, strict adherence to which ensures a good game pace)

Exceptions: If you will be out for a long time and unable to post, please let the party know and assign responsibility to either myself or another, willing player for RPing your character, or I can write in a scenario that takes you out of the picture until your return (The former is preferred).

OK, so I'm a hypocrite, I've been pretty delinquent lately, so I've no moral right to enforce this, but just saying that if, after two days, I do end up moving on, just be assured that I'm going to do so out of fairness for the others, not out of spite toward any individual.

[sblock= What are Malenkirk Rules?]
Ok, it should be called Malenkirk's rules, but I find it funny that people have called it Malenkirk rules.... ;)

Named after their inventor Mal Malenkirk

In a nutshell:


  • Players roll initiative individually, bad guys roll on initiative roll
  • Players with higher init than bad guys go before bad guys
  • Bad guys go, good guys go, bad guys, good guys, etc...
  • Good guy turns happen in first post - first acted order.
  • Illegal post-overs will be resolved in that round
  • Legal post-overs stand even if each didn't know the other was posting.
[/sblock]


Treasure: If you use wishlists, cool, I'll use them as a guide, but if I think something is more appropriate, then I'll award that. If not, I'll find something cool.

Die Rolling: Roll your dice on Invisible Castle. If invisible castle is down (and it is down a lot), try Dice Room using your character name and the name of this adventure (title above, punctuation and everything) as the room name. In either case highlight the die roll in your post and use the 'Insert Link' button to post a link to your die rolls.

Out of Character Content:
Post out of character content (i.e.: complaints, tactics, mechanics, etc...) in a spoiler with the letters 'OOC' in the title.

:confused:*Whew!*:confused:

I'm sure I missed something, but we'll handle that as it comes up.

[/sblock]

The eladrin sits quietly in the back room of the Hanged Man, waiting for a group to enter.

 

H.M.Gimlord

Villager
OOC: Thanks for the kudos Ren. It's been such a long time since I started an adventure (Land Ho has been going for roughly 2.5 years now) that I'd forgotten how much time I invested in this little rant.
 

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Tristan slips into the room silently and moves to lean in a corner. He makes no move to speak to the eladrin - there are others to do the talking.
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
"Hello. I overheard you talking. I would be your firepower in all that brawn and brains talk. If you'll have me."

OOC: just subscribing, waiting for [MENTION=82643]CaBaNa[/MENTION] to pull Illarion in :)
 

Mewness

Villager
Papolstaanas enters the back room and immediately begins coughing as the smell of the eladrin's "herbal refreshment" reaches his nostrils. "I'm Papolstaanas," he says, between coughs. "I'm--here for the job. But I'm not sure what it's about. Why, um, why all the secrecy? I hope this isn't something--I don't know what you've heard, but just because I'm from Bacarte doesn't mean I'm willing to murder or steal anyone that you--that is, murder anyone or steal anything that--wait, I mean that I won't murder or steal any.... Anyway, some of us have limits."

[sblock=Papolstaanas]Papolstaanas Male Kobold Avenger|Battlemind 7
Initiative: +6, Passive Perception: 24, Passive Insight: 18, Senses: Normal
AC:24 (--), Fort:19 (--), Reflex:21 (--), Will:19 (--)
+2 defenses vs. traps; AC drops to 23 when bloodied
HP:69/69, Bloodied:34, Surge Value:17, Surges left:12/12
Action Points: 1
Power Points: 4
:bmelee: Overwhelming Strike +12 vs. AC; 1d8+5 damage, Papolstaanas shifts 1 square and slides target into the square he just vacated.
Shifty, Battlemind’s Demand, Blurred Step, Overwhelming Strike, Iron Fist, Lightning Rush
[o] Oath of Enmity (regained when target drops to 0 hp)
[o] Guardian’s Counter
[o] Fury’s Advance
[o] Distracting Flare
[o] Wrathful Warrior (feat)
[o] Second Wind

[o] Aspect of Might
[o] Nightmare Vortex
[o] Mental Triumph
[o] Vanguard Weapon daily


Conditions:

Full sheet: Papolstaanas[/sblock]
 

BenBrown

Villager
Kaeysari stands at rest behind some of the others.
"What my friend means." she says, "is that we'd like to know more before agreeing to take on this job."[sblock=Kaeysari stat block]Kaeysari Female Longtooth Shifter Fighter 7
Initiative: +5, Passive Perception: 21, Passive Insight: 18, Senses: Low-light
AC:24, Fort:20, Reflex:17, Will:17
+2 to all defenses against opportunity attacks

:bmelee: +13 vs. AC, 2d4+8 damage
+3 to opportunity attacks.
If any adjacent enemy marked by Kayesari shifts or makes an attack that does not include her, she may make a melee basic attack against that enemy.

HP:64/64, Bloodied:32, Surge Value:16, Surges left:10/10
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: unused
Powers: Cleave, Footwork Lure
Covering Attack, Dance of Steel, Longtooth Shifting, Healer's Gift, Smiting Symbol
Villain's Menace, Crashing Assault, Defensive Training, Healing Word

Conditions:
[/sblock]
 

Mewness

Villager
"Right!" says Papolstaanas. "I mean, you have no idea what some people ask us to do. There was this fellow not too long ago who wanted us to help his cows, and he seemed like a nice enough chap actually, but then it turned out that, that the entire thing was a horrible trap, and he didn't care about the cows at all--" Papolstaanas breaks off, clenching his fists in speechless fury. Apparently he is still upset about the cows.
 
7 Rabbit bustles in, still chatting with Gil about the power of the stars. As he sees the others introducing themselves he falls silent.

Hearing Papo's question, he looks at him speculatively. "An innocent from Bacarte," he mutters to himself. "The Trickster? Unconventional..."

[sblock=OOC]
Which I've totally lost track of - lots of characters I recognize but I honestly can't remember if Rabbit knows them. Definitely Gil, Eloan and Illarion - has he ever adventured with Kaeysari or Papo?[/sblock]

[sblock=7 Rabbit]
Init: +2 Speed: 5 Perception:14 Insight: 19
AC: 19 Fort: 18 Ref: 18 Will: 17
HP: 56/56 Surges: 10/10 Surge Value: 14 AP: 1
Str:10 Con:19 Dex:8 Int:17 Wis:12 Cha:15

Powers:
Eldritch Blast
Dire Radiance
Fate of the Void
Warlock's Curse
Second Wind
Vampiric Embrace
Frigid Darkness
Racing Fire of Ulban
Boots of the Fencing Master
Blackleaf Gloves
Armor of Agathys
Hunger of Hadar
Fevered Certainty of Caiphon
Brooch of Shielding +1
Leather Armour of Dark Majesty +1
Talent Shard
Talent Shard
Ghoststrike Oil
Whetstone of Venom
Glowstone
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Tristan nods in agreement with the others. "I'm Tristan. It would be nice to get some more details - generally makes it easier to avoid dying." The elf adds very quietly under his breath, "Really don't want to do that again."
[Sblock=OOC]It is kind of interesting playing with 7 Rabbit with Tristan, since Rabbit and Raiyek had a few adventures together. :)[/sblock]
[sblock=Tristan stats]Tristan Moonblade - Male Elf Avenger (Dayna) 4
Passive Perception: 23, Passive Insight: 16; Low-light vision
AC:20(22), Fort:16, Reflex:18, Will:18 -- Speed:7
HP:46/46, Bloodied:23, Surge Value:11, Surges Left:9/9
+2 item bonus to saves vs. poison keyword, weakened, slowed, immobilized.
Action Points: 1, Second Wind
Powers
Bond of Pursuit
Radiant Vengeance

Angelic Alacrity
Sequestering Strike
Avenger's Resolve
Channel Divinity
Elven Accuracy
Oath of Enmity

Oath of the Final Duel
Luckblade

* Group Awareness: All non-elf allies within 5 squares of Tristan gain a +1 bonus to Perception.
* +2 item bonus to AC vs. first attack on me each encounter
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

CaBaNa

Villager
Gil enters along with 7 Rabbit and Illarion, I think this is everyone, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... and me... yeah. Gil nods to himself, Sir? asks the student of the master.
 

renau1g

Villager
Gil enters along with 7 Rabbit and Illarion, I think this is everyone, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... and me... yeah. Gil nods to himself, Sir? asks the student of the master.
"Ah yes, well first, good job Gil, looks like you have chosen well... no bugbears, good mix... yes, you hold promise yet" Veruzak says, before training his attention to the shifter and kobold.

"Well you can assuage your concerns Papolstaanas, I would not plan to hire a group of skilled adventurers such as yourselves if it was a problem with common livestock. Nor do I have any desire for you to murder.... or steal, quite the contrary actually. As you may have read in the Screamer there have been a series of murders occurring there. You also noted that there was little details in the paper, we've been fairly successful at least on that front..." the eladrin states, looking off at something nobody sees.

"This is a sensitive situation and one that is too much for the local constabulary, a very complicated situation. The paper failed to make any mention of the timing of the murders, they have occurred each of the past three full moons. The bodies were found mutilated as if by animals and lupine footprints left the scenes. As you probably have surmised.... the most likely murderer is a, or group of, lycanthropes, is our best guess. Now you probably are wondering just what does this eladrin care about murders over on another island.

Well, the truth is that I believe I know the perpetrator of these crimes and I feel responsible to stop him. Unfortunately, our wonderful government has decided to prevent me from leaving the city so I cannot do it myself, so I need a group to go and complete this in my stead"
Veruzak states, then takes a moment to breath after his long-winded speech.
 

Velmont

Villager
"An investigation... at least I won't feel out of place. I've work over ten years on the Watch of Daunton, and leaving for Bacarte will be most welcome at this moment." tells Eloan.

"By the way, I was an officer. I understand mercenaries have seldom hard time to take order, but I have more than my lot of fight in here and I am use to see the big picture in a fight, so I suggest you follow my order at first and if you are displease with them, tell me and I'll adjust or even shut my mouth."

OOC: To all players, please read the Player SBLOCK below. To DM, look at both Player and Immediate Interrupt. I hope that will help to make game go smoothly.


[SBLOCK=To Players]@.Players: When you use an Action Point:
Insigthful Presence: When any ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action, that ally gains +2 to all defenses until the start of his or her next turn.

@.Players: Anyone who want can use this power on initiative.
Battlefront Shift (No Action * Close Burst 3)
Target: You or one ally in the burst
Effect: The target shifts half his or her speed.

@.Players: Anyone who make a basic attack can declare he use this power. It can be use only once per encounter. First come first serve.
Overwhelming Force Trap
(Immediate Intterupt * Close Burst 3)
Target: The triggering ally
Trigger: An ally in the burst makes a melee basic attack
Effect: The target uses one of his or her melee at-will attack powers instead of making a melee basic attack. If the attack hits, the subject of the target’s attack is also dazed until the end of the target’s next turn.
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Immediate Interrupt]
@.DM: Also, during the monster turn, Eloan might use one of these interrupt. If more than one trigger is valid at the same time, use the first in list. Please note I might change the Triggering conditions.

Powerful Warning
(Immediate Interrupt * Close Burst 5)
Target: The triggering ally in the burst
Trigger:
1) An ally is hit by an attack within 5 feet.
2) The ally is hit by less than 5 over the attacked defense.
3) The enemy that hit is not a minion
4) The ally have a good melee basic attack and is within melee reach of the attacker
OR the ally is bloodied
OR the attack stun (assuming Eloan is aware of the effect).
Effect: The target gains a +5 power bonus to all defenses against the attack. The target can make a melee basic attack against the enemy as a free action. If the target of the melee basic attack is standing next to Eloan, the ally get +1 to hit and +2 to damage.

Friendly Fire
(Immediate Reaction * Close Burst 10)
Target: The triggering enemy in the burst
Trigger:
1) An enemy misses you or an ally you can see with a melee or ranged attack.
2) The enemy that miss is not a minion
3) The enemy has a valid enemy target within 2 square of the missed ally.
4) The new target is not a minion.

Effect: The target repeats the attack as a free action against a creature you choose within 2 squares of the target of its original attack. The new target must still be legal for the attack.

Longsword of Defense (Immediate Interrupt)
Trigger:
1) Eloan takes damage from a melee attack that hits him.
2) Eloan takes 20 or more damages.
Effect: You take only half of the damage.
[/SBLOCK]


[SBLOCK=Eloan's Stats]Eloan
Initiative +4
Passive Insight 13 Passive Perception 20; Low-light Vision
HP 56/56; 0 THP; Bloodied 28; Surge Value 14; Surges Per-Day 10/10
AC 25 Fortitude 17 Reflex 20 Will 20
Defenses: +2 defenses vs AoO
Saving Throw Bonuses: +5 vs. Charm
Resitance: Resist All 1
Speed 5
Action Point: 1

Current Effects: None

Basic Attack Longsword of Defense +7 vs AC 1d8 damage

Skills: Arcana +9, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +14, Heal +8, History +14, Intimidate +12, Perception +10, Streetwise +9
Languages Common, Elven

Powers

[ ]Commander's Strike
[ ]Direct the Strike

[ ]Second Wind
[ ]Fey Step
[ ]Dirty Dead
[ ]Battlefront Shift
[2]Inspiring Word
[ ]Powerful Warning
[ ]Overwhelming Force Trap
[ ]Friendly Fire

[ ]Bastion of Defense
[ ]Destructive Surprise
[ ]Heroic Effort (Warlord)
[ ]Stand Tough

[ ]Bracers of Mental Might [E]
[ ]Bastion Drakscale Armor [E]
[ ]Amulet of Seduction [D]
[ ]Battleforged Shield [D]
[ ]Longsword of Defense [D]
[/SBLOCK]
 
Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
"It seems it is a hunt indeed. In that case, I am at your disposal, eladrin."

At Eloan's comments, Tristan answers, "Fine, as long as you know what you're doing." The elf breaks out another grin and jokingly adds, "And also as long as you're not the type to give suicide orders."
[sblock=OOC]I see Illarion and Tristan are both using teal text - is anyone bothered by that? I can find a different colour for the adventure if you guys rather we all had unique colours.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Mewness

Villager
"Murdered? By a--by a werewolf? Who is it? And how do you know who it is?" asks Papolstaanas.

[sblock=ooc]I suppose I'd prefer it if everyone had a different color. As long as nobody's color is dark blue, which is horrible to read. But it's not a big deal.[/sblock]
 

renau1g

Villager
"An investigation... at least I won't feel out of place. I've work over ten years on the Watch of Daunton, and leaving for Bacarte will be most welcome at this moment." tells Eloan.

"By the way, I was an officer. I understand mercenaries have seldom hard time to take order, but I have more than my lot of fight in here and I am use to see the big picture in a fight, so I suggest you follow my order at first and if you are displease with them, tell me and I'll adjust or even shut my mouth."
"Very good, you will be quite useful indeed. I will note though that the trouble is not in Bacarte, but rather in Fulcrum on the Island of Opposition." Veruzak says

"It seems it is a hunt indeed. In that case, I am at your disposal, eladrin."
"Yes indeed, it will be a hunt. Although I must ask a favour of you all, if it is possible to subdue the murderer, that would be preferable, but if you are unable, the safety of those in Fulcrum is worth more than one person's life." the eladrin replies

[sblock=Insight DC 25] Veruzak appears to be holding something back here, the statement appears truthful, just perhaps not telling the whole story [/sblock]

"Murdered? By a--by a werewolf? Who is it? And how do you know who it is?" asks Papolstaanas.
"Yes, murdered. The facts seem to lend themselves to a member of the lycanthrope family, only occuring on full moon nghts, brutal, savage murders as if by an animal, tufts of black fur, large paw prints. Of which genus it originates, that is unknown, perhaps a werebear, wererat, or even wereboar are all possibilities, in addition to the aforementioned werewolf. As for the identity of the perpetrator, well it is but a deduction of reason that I bring this up. An old friend of mine, Vilk is his name, informed me he intended to return to his home on the Isle after retirement to settle some business of his. This was about a month before the murders began. Since then I've been unable to contact him and as his name is not on the list of deceased, and based on my inability to reach him, my supposition is that Vilk may have some involvement in said murders. As for surety? I will need your help for that" the arcanist replies.
 

Mewness

Villager
"Fulcrum?" says Papolstaanas, sounding excited and pleased. "I know some people in Fulcrum. Only--oh dear. I hope they're all right."
 

Velmont

Villager
"Fulcrum... He had me confused for a moment." Elaon tells, pointing Papolstaanas. "That's just as good for me. What teh backstory of Vilk?"
 

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
"What, you don't want to pay us to kill your old friend?" Tristan says with a smile and a short chuckle.
[sblock=Insight]Insight (1d20+6=8)[/sblock]
"Though if our quarry were a wereboar, would it not have left hoof prints instead of paw prints?"
[sblock=OOC]Nature for lycanthropes, righ?
Nature (1d20+8=24)

Also, I'll use this blue for the duration of the adventure so we don't get Tristan and Illarion mixed up. :)[/sblock]
 

Advertisement

Top