[Adventure] The Darkest Night (DM: johnmeier1, Judge: Ozymandias79)

johnmeier1

Explorer
[sblock=Current situation] Okay, it seems as if we are ready to get going. Just a PC to set the direction/approach/etc and you can start. The path is not clear towards the high ground that you can see in the distance. Sheng saw a bit of the way on his approach so he can direct for a few hundred yards away from the cabin. It is swampy land so the horses are not going to fare well unless you have Nature at a level to guide them and avoid nasty terrain.[/sblock]

DMDanW

First Post
Dextyr shifts in his saddle as he tries to get a good view of where they will be going. He looks over to Sheng "Since you have seen where it is we are headed perhaps you can tell us if these horses will be an asset or a burden for us. If the later then perhaps we can leave them here, if that is alright with you folks" he adds looking over tot he old woman, giving her a charming smile as he does.

He turns back to Sheng. "So Sheng of the Zim clan, do tell, what is your specialty? Do you have any training in wilderness exploration that could be of use? We should be on our way so we can get Isabelle back where she belongs". Dextyr put a little emphasis on the last part and studies Shengs reaction, not sure to trust someone who was sent here by a vampire.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"My speciality is deliver pain, my lord. I can't wait to show you the many ways in which I can do it. I might assist you with the knowledge I've earned in my years as a monk and scholar" Sheng says with a viperous smile on his face. I agree, we shall move out; I might direct you a few yards from this... 'rustic' place."

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
The chuckling woman agrees to keep an eye on the horses and Sheng leads the way as the group moves out into the swamp. The land is treacherous and often each others help keeps you out of the quicksand and bogs. Approaching a small, yet wider bit of water you begin to move alongside it. There are large logs floating in the water and the trees hang with vines and bugs buzz around.

[sblock=map] Okay all the squares are difficult terrain except for the light green ones you are standing near (or any squares that have it) I can't seem to get a easy way to indicate difficult terrain in MapTools (help?)
Feel free to say something and take a move action (just to put yourself where you would rather be in marching order/arrangement)
attachment.php

[/sblock]

[sblock=Janus Murphy Shorrin] There are two figures on the opposite side of the water trying to conceal themselves. They are lizard-like humanoids with spears and bone breastplates.
attachment.php

[sblock=Murphy] The logs in the water are actually Large crocodiles. There is a gigantic bug flying around as well as the normal ones, you may recognize it as a Stirge
attachment.php

[/sblock]

[/sblock]

There are 3 maps here, but you can only see what is in your character's view above. (Everyone the leftmost, 3 of you the middle, and Murphy the rightmost)

Attachments

• swamp.jpg
    swamp.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 81
  • swamp1.jpg
    swamp1.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 78
  • swamp2.jpg
    swamp2.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 105

DMDanW

First Post
Dextyr, blissfully unaware of the danger that surrounds them, will remain where he is. (shield is equipped though as per usual)

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Shorrin quietly taps his warhammer against his shield, "Two up there trying to hide. Be ready, from the looks of em I doubt they are alone." Shorrin begins to survey the area to find an easier way across the muck.

johnmeier1

Explorer
[sblock=Current status] There was no extended rest before this encounter. I am open to PCs doing this at any time by their choice but there was only a short rest.
Name HP HS AP Daily power used
Shorrin 50/50 11/13 0 Villian's Menace
Murphy 45/45 4/8 1 Deathcut Leather Armor
Janus 34/34 3/7 0 Expeditious Retreat, Sleep
Dextyr 43/43 6/10 0 Inspiring Word
Sheng 47/47 8/8 1

After this encounter there will be a milestone for the first 4 of you (which means an AP and recharge of a magic item power)
[/sblock]

[sblock=initiative] I rolled for everybody and it looks like the bad guys go first, so after Murphy and Sheng get a chance to go, I will post round 1.
5 PCs and the NPCs
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Good, I need some warming." statesthe jadite, as he moves in intrincated ways, posing the stance of the snake, his right arm flexed and his finguers outstreched. His eyes turn pale green as the battle is about to begin.

johnmeier1

Explorer
Two lizardmen stand up from the far side of the water. They are wearing bone breastplates and carrying spears. First walks around the side of the water towards you. The second glides along the swamp, half walking half swimming, and barks at the group.

[sblock=Draconic] You will make a tasty meal for our pets and we will keep your possessions![/sblock]

The marshman along the side remains silent and raises his arms. As he does vines from below reach up to grab everyone, though Sheng keeps them from holding him fast. The one in the uneven grass of the water swings his spear and gas spews from the toxic flowers around your feet.

The both cheer happily and that is followed by a roar as three logs nearby reveal themselves to be gigantic crocodiles. They move to bite Sheng and Shorrin, grasping with giant jaws and clamping down on their legs. Dextyr bats away the third and turns just in time to avoid a giant mosquito hovering just behind him.

[sblock=mechanics]
Marsh mystic 1 moves to M7 and throws a Swamp's Grasp area burst 2 at J17, attacking Reflex Sheng 15 MISS, Shorrin 21 HIT, Murphy 20 HIT, Dextyr 20 HIT, Janus 22 HIT are immobilized (save ends) and the area is a zone difficult terrain until the end of the encounter.

Marsh mystic 2 moves to D7 creates a Bog Cloud area burst 2 at J17, attacking Fortitude Sheng 15 MISS, Shorrin 27 HIT, Murphy 28 HIT, Dextyr 16 HIT, Janus 17 HIT for 2d8+4=15 poison damage and dazed TENT

Vicejaw crocodile 1 moves to G18/F19 and bites Sheng 1d20+10=26 vs AC for 1d8+4=11 and he is grabbed

Vicejaw crocodile 2 moves to I15/H16 and bites Shorrin 1d20+10=30 CRIT for 12 damage and he is grabbed

Vicejaw crocodile 3 moves to K16/J17 and bites Dextyr 1d20+10=15 MISS

Vicejaw crocodile 4 moves to Stealth 25

Vicejaw crocodile 5 moves to Stealth 22

Stirge swoops down to L19 and bites at Dextyr 1d20+8=11 MISS
[/sblock]

[sblock=status]
Name Pos HP HS AP
Shorrin I17 23/50 11/13 0 Immobilized (save ends), Dazed, Grabbed, Bloodied
Murphy J18 30/45 4/8 1 Immobilized (save ends), Dazed
Janus L18 19/34 3/7 0 Immobilized (save ends), Dazed
Dextyr K18 28/43 6/10 0 Immobilized (save ends), Dazed
Sheng H17 35/47 8/8 1 Grabbed

Mystic 1 M7 used Swamp's Grasp
Mystic 2 D7 used Bog Cloud
Croc 1 G18/F19
Croc 2 I15/H16
Croc 3 K16/J17
Croc 4 Stealth 25
Croc 5 Stealth 22
Stirge L19
[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
Coming soon, I will indicate difficult terrain as the Zone created more. (maybe I should indicate NON difficult terrain)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads