Adventure Time TTRPG Drops "Yes And" System, Switches To 5E

Changed made based on feedback from fans.

IMG_7692.jpeg

When the Adventure Time roleplaying game was announced back in June, it was going to be using a brand new RPG system called the "Yes And" system, which involved dice which had Yes and No on one die, and things like And or But on the other.

However, publisher Cryptozoic Entertainment has recently indicated that, following fan feedback, the upcoming Kickstarter will now be powered by 5E instead. The update was included last week as part of the FAQ in its current Adventure Time card game Kickstarter.

Has Adventure Time: The Roleplaying Game changed since you announced it a few months ago?

Yes, we made the decision to make it a 5e experience, based on feedback from fans. That doesn’t mean the game shown at Gen Con earlier this year won’t be released too, but the main offering in the upcoming Kickstarter will be the 5e RPG.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I hope they change their tune by the time they get around to the Yes, And version of the game otherwise that'll be an automatic pass from me. Or just collate the info Matt dropped and use that. Where'd I put my notes on that...
In 2024, it's super-weird that rights-holders don't realize that not letting a licensee produce a PDF doesn't mean that PDFs won't be out there, just that your fans won't be able to give you money for them. The music industry figured this out almost 20 years ago.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
In 2024, it's super-weird that rights-holders don't realize that not letting a licensee produce a PDF doesn't mean that PDFs won't be out there, just that your fans won't be able to give you money for them. It's weird to see industries be further behind the curve than the music industry is, especially since the music industry figured this out almost 20 years ago.
Yep. Them taking a "physical only" stance will, at best, ever so slightly delay the digital release of the game. Not stop it. The only choice they have is if they'll get some money from digital sales or not. Choosing to make less money over an artistic choice, sure...makes sense. Choosing to make less money while simultaneously angering and inconveniencing a lot of your fans, is nonsensical.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Even if it were 5RD-based?

Oddly, this is my reaction when hearing about brand-new games:

"Our cool, new game is Kickstarting soon. And it's 5e-based!"

Me: "yes, and?"
I consume 5e material as fodder for my Level Up campaigns. And I live Adventure Time. I likely would never play it straight, and that's why I wouldn't buy a physical copy, but I could easily buy a pdf of either version of the game.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads