• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Trouble in Moonwatch (Judge: THB) - Part II

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Wow... I just read the suffocation/drowning rules... unless River fails 60 more checks he's in no danger... *sigh*... really... holding your breath for 3 minutes really takes a lot of the bite out of drowning. [/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]I agree, I saw it too and I must tell I wasn't impress or even concerns by being drown... only thing, I cannot do much under water. That effect was just as good as a dazed (as I was able to maintain my power)...I hope I will get out soon, I don't want to spend another combat only maintaining that power.[/SBLOCK]

KarinsDad

Adventurer
[sblock=Drowning]
I think you guys missed some of the drowning rules out of the DMG and only saw the hold breath ones in the PHB.

A character holding his breath during underwater combat, for example, must make a DC 20 Endurance check at the end of his turn in a round where he takes damage.

Each time a character fails, he loses one healing surge. If a character has no healing surges left when he fails a check, he loses hit points equal to his level.

Both Val and River took damage in the round that pushed them into the water, but only River needs to make a DC 20 Endurance check since Val (assuming he uses his same swim actions) is not underwater at the end of his turn.

A PC could theoretically be dead in Surge + a couple of rounds depending on how much damage that PC takes.

Not so deadly in the first encounter, but it could be fairly harsh if the PC has few surges remaining. And even without it being a later encounter, it could still suck up some healing surges.

Also, the failed swim checks result in a PC sinking one square. That's still movement (failed swim movement, no different than purposely swimming down a square) and should result in an Opportunity Attack by the foe (ditto if DB23 fails a swim check and ends up underwater as well, OA by River if River has a weapon out).

Btw, DB23 should be heroic level. He only has one healing surge. If he fails a swim check, he too took damage this round by Sheeva and would need to make an Endurance check. Not so big of a deal this round, but he might start taking more damage by drowning as well in future rounds.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

EvolutionKB

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Valahad will stay with his move, drawing the OA. Instead of Call of challenge, I'll drop my acid longsword once on solid ground and draw the silver longsword.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
"Two can play that game." Sheeva says wryly.

"You may want to move away from me Korthauk if the foe at the window continues to blast areas." Sheeva says as she moves forward, darkens the area, and a blast of thunder rips towards the Dragonborn.

One of the wounded dragonborn foes falls as his armor crumples under the tremendous power of the drow sorcerer. The other is sent flying through the air towards the water, but in desperation the warrior reaches out and manages to grab Korthauk's leg. The goliath throws him off, but the dragonborn manages to stay dry.

River starts to sink into the water and as he tries to swim to the shore, his feet get stuck in the mud of the river bank.

[sblock=River]
Need an Endurance check. DC 20. Failure = 1 lost surge [/sblock]

Valahad struggles against the force of the tieflings words, his arms spinning before he plunges into the water. The kalasthar struggles at first, as his world is turned upside-down. Once righted he moves to shore. Brushing the water from his hair, he calls into the minds of the dragonborn. "Now face me fools, you shall see the light of Il-Yannah!"

Korthauk smiles wide now with all sorts of friends to play with around him, but his excitement overcomes his accuracy and as he swings at the prone enemy, the dragonborn brings up its shield in desperation and deflects the attack.

[sblock=Kal's attack]
Earth Shield Strike - vs ac; dmg (1d20+14=17, 1d8+6=10) miss [/sblock]

OK, I've had about enough of this . . .

Feall sprints up to the window and peeks over, taking a moment to forge a shadowy connection to his target. Quick as a thought, he flickers from sight and reappears inside the building, his great black falchion buried deep in the Herald's back. As the Herald writhes in pain, the young Assassin draws the shadows around the pair, covering them both in Darkness. Twisting his falchion in the wound, he pulls off a little of that shadowy cover and sends it shooting down the blade. As the shadow enters the Tiefling's body he feels it drawing the warmth of Khyber from his soul.

The dragonborn focus their efforts on Korthauk, unable to reach Valahad and the zealots somehow avoid crying out in pain against the burning of Il-Yannah's light.

The Herald curses "Damnable drow, you'll pay for this" as he stands up and just moves away from Feall.

[sblock=Feall]
He's moved to M4 and opened the door, looks like he's planning to get the hell out of dodge [/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
The smoke from the fire creates concealment unless you are west of column 11.

DB18 - attacks Korthauk- vs ac; dmg (1d20+10=26, 1d8+3=6, 1d20+10=23, 1d8+3=6) hits AC 26 for 1 after resist
DB12 - stands & attacks Korthauk (second attack above)- Hits AC 24 for 6 (forgot +1 from bloodied), so a miss

Herald - stands, moves away from Feall (draws OA - can't find your sheet on the wiki Mowgli, please roll MBA) and only Feall can see him.

The water is rough, DC 15 athletics check required.

Feall: 16/37 hp - resist 5, +4 to damage until the end of the encounter, Concealment from All, Invisible to All outside Five Squares TEMNT
Sheeva: 43/43 hp+5thp - resist 5, +4 to damage until the end of the encounter, cloud of darkness
Korthauk: 52/65 hp - resist 5, +4 to damage until the end of the encounter, +2 AC; +2 Reflex (from sword)
Valahad: 49/63 hp - resist 5, +4 to damage until the end of the encounter
River: 34/49 hp - resist 5, sustain minor (Moment of Glory), +4 to damage until the end of the encounter. Cloud of Darkness,

DB12: 52 damage, used Martial Recovery, bloodied, prone, marked (Val)
DB18: 28 damage, marked (Val)
DB23: 64 damage, used Martial Recovery, bloodied, dead
Herald: 66 damage, used Elder Voice, Targeted for Death (Feall)

Initiative:

Feall - 22
Enemies - 11
Sheeva - 10 <- you're up
River - 5
Valahad - 5
Korthauk - 9

[/sblock]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=r1g]Correction and a couple of questions:

Though I didn't specify a square, I did mention teleporting inside (as part of Inescapable Shadow). Feall should be adjacent to Herald inside the building (Q7?).

I think that gives him an Opportunity Attack as Herald stands from prone or moves away . . . (Just in case: OA, Damage (1d20+9=12, 2d4+6=12))

Also, you still have Herald listed as Prone in the Summary.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Where do you think you're going? I'm not done with you yet!"

Feall moves quickly after the departing Herald, casually flicking a couple of shrouds over him as he moves. As he draws near, the young assassin gives a 'come hither' gesture with his black falchion and the Khyber agent feels a terrible tug on his very soul.

[sblock=Actions]Free: Assassin's Shrouds (2) on Herald
Move: to M5
Standard: Shadow Soul (1d20+12=16, 4d4+11+2d6.minroll(2)=31) vs. Herald (16 damage if 16 misses, 31 if it hits).

If the Herald survives and keeps on out the door, Feall will shout "HE'S ON THE RUN OUT THE BACK!"[/sblock]

OOC: I know it's not strictly my turn, but it's also not likely anyone else is going to interrupt . . .

Remove ads