• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventurer's Vault - What do you think?

Obryn

Hero
I absolutely love it, although to be honest, the extra weapon types (especially the Superior weapons) are the biggest draw for me. No longer is the bastard sword the cream of the crop; other things can keep up with it, and you're not an idiot for specializing in axes, hammers, or spears.

I've already added an item from it to my game - the Shimmering robe. The party's Wizard thought it was Christmas.

-O

Is this more of a player's book or a DM's book?

I'm guessing player's, since magic items are now under their domain. But is there any information that should be withheld from them?

It's all appropriate for players. You may want to houserule some things, but there are no artifacts or major cursed items (there are a couple with minor curse effects.)

It's all appropriate for players. You may want to houserule some things, but there are no artifacts or major cursed items (there are a couple with minor curse effects.)
I reckon it's an option though to keep the MIs from Adventurer's Vault up the sleeve so to speak - but that's coming from a DM who was aghast at there being MIs in the 4E PHB.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Irda Ranger

First Post
I was a little disappointed that so much of the stuff was +x orientated. I would have loved to have seen more "magical" items that did not specifically buff something or have some powerful daily effect.

As someone who is still deciding whether or not to get AV, can someone opine on whether AV is a good buy even after stripping out all the +x items? I have the house rule that PCs automatically get +1 to attacks, damage and defenses at levels 3, 8, 13, ..., specifically to put "the magic" in magical items, and I wanted to know if AV is still a good buy.

Thanks.

Stalker0

Legend
As someone who is still deciding whether or not to get AV, can someone opine on whether AV is a good buy even after stripping out all the +x items? I have the house rule that PCs automatically get +1 to attacks, damage and defenses at levels 3, 8, 13, ..., specifically to put "the magic" in magical items, and I wanted to know if AV is still a good buy.

Thanks.

I'm assuming even with the stripping of +X's, you are still using the properties of those items in the core phb?

If so, I think you will still like this book. Even the +X items have some cool properties, and interesting daily effects. Further, you see a lot more items with at-will and encounter based powers, which allows you more variety. Finally since your campaign seems more "class" oriented instead of "magic item" oriented, there are several items in the book that let you recharge powers...which will give your players the ability to convert magic items into another expression of their innate awesome.

I will echo others, I think this is exactly the kind of book 4e needed, and it was done very well. Now I just need a splat to give me a whole bunch of new feats, paragon paths, and epic destinies and I think the system will start to have that "finished" look to it.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I enjoy reading it just for fun. That is a good sign of keeper. I love it as much as the magical item compendium from 3.5e.

As far as content is concerned:

lots of good material....a few broken items but nothing egregious. I hope one of my fellow players, a rogue, takes the alchemy feat....good assassin tools, fits the flavor of his character nicely. There are a few items I am going to have to request (or make myself).....especially hedge wizard gloves, nice flavor for my swordmage.

TheWinslow

First Post
Meh

This book is SOS: Short On Sauce.

I looked at a friend's copy and decided to invest in Encyclopedia Magica instead. Now I've got 5 versions of the rod of wonder, 2 versions of that 7 parts thingamabob, and more weapons, potions, etc. than I could ever need.

To be honest, it was a little more expensive than AV, but I think I'm going to get a lot more bang for my buck. Plus, now I can introduce the Sword of Sharpness (heretofore unknown to me) into my playgroup.

Look, you can view magic items as essentially stat boosters: they make your character better at doing things your character needs to do. Or, you can look at them as an opportunity to inject a bit of chaos and humor into your game.

I doubt I'm alone in saying most of my group loves wacky random effects and improvised rulings more than they love a balanced system. Statboosting is boring to me, and while not every item in AV is guilty of this, the majority are. Another healing surge. A reroll. +2 on endurance. Whoop de doo! How about a sword that can cut somebody's arm off? How about a Rod of wonder that might summon an attack t-rex!

Stalker0

Legend
Does the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide count?

I have hoping it would, but it doesn't have enough for me. All of the stuff is mainly geared towards the swordmage and races in the book. Nothing wrong with that, I have the book and I think it good, but not enough to finish it off for me.

Irda Ranger

First Post
I'm assuming even with the stripping of +X's, you are still using the properties of those items in the core phb?
Yes, a flamesword is still a flamesword. It's just not a +x flamesword.

If so, I think you will still like this book. Even the +X items have some cool properties, and interesting daily effects. Further, you see a lot more items with at-will and encounter based powers, which allows you more variety.
Cool, thanks.

Finally since your campaign seems more "class" oriented instead of "magic item" oriented, there are several items in the book that let you recharge powers...which will give your players the ability to convert magic items into another expression of their innate awesome.
I think of it as "PC oriented" (as opposed to "gear oriented"), but I take your point. Sounds good.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads