Adventures Across Khorvaire - Chapter 1: Reflections

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
MistaCollins said:
[sblock=SE'KET]As Se’ket closes the Matron’s door behind her, she lets out a soft sigh. She looks down at the paper in hand that gives her the person to ask around about any other deaths that may have occurred.

After a little over an hour of asking the guards of any other deaths on campus, Se’ket is able to find out that the Morgrave guards found the body of one of the University’s professors this morning. The body belonged to that of Professor Kelmini, the chair of the Antiquities Department.

Following this lead, the young asks around a bit, and after about three hours finds out that there is no tie to the death she was tasked with investigating. It appears Kelmini was having an affair with a young student, who happened to be the daughter of a minor member of the Karnathi embassy. The girl’s father approached Kelmini last night as the professor’s home and after a bitter argument, killed the professor for spoiling the chastity of his daughter. [/sblock]
[sblock=MistaCollins]Se'ket sighs a little when she turns from the last witness' room. She was not precisely frustrated; though she had come no farther to finding Gaunt's killer, she had at least determined the manner of death of another being. And that the death was not related to their own. It would have been too easy to jump to conclusions, to see connections where there were none, if one did not keep a clear mind. Tangentially satisfied, she returned to the Matron's office.

"It seems Professor Kelmini suffered from requited lust, a state far more dangerous than unrequited lust it seems. The Karnathi saw him dead for his daughter's 'dishonor,'" Se'ket explains with a shrug. Why such fuss over a state of being? It was a natural function, why be so hung up on who and when it was first done? Some people were so very strange.

"Matron, I believe widening the range of our search could be valuable. I would like to question the City Watch about recent murders in town, but obviously they will not open their records for a university student. Is there a way that I could openly ask them about such things?" Se'ket asks.[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
[sblock= GM]Sven knew he was out of place in such a fancy neighborhood, and he wasn't terribly inclined to linger. He kept having to fight down the urge to comb his hair and straighten his coat- in fact, he really wished that he had thought to wear his university uniform tabard, which looked at least kind of official. The fact that the search had taken no small amount of time didn't help- but at least it meant he had a reason for not lurking about. He walked slowly past the house one last time, then headed back towards his planned meeting with the others- maybe he could spot some kind of sign about whose house this was...

OOC: Not going to linger, as he is out of place, and not a good enough conversationalist to spoof the local guards. If he can see any hint about whose house this is, then bonus- otherwise he'll just remember the locale and route, and let the more socially adept have that info..."[/sblock]

Mista Collins

First Post
[sblock=Saellin]After he is satisfied with his disguise, Saellin has no problem finding the location of the bar from the information he gathered earlier. Finding the entrance to the basement tavern under the unused warehouse near the Howling River, Saellin opens the door and walks in.

Splinters of light stab through the cracks of shuttered windows and then on through the smoky gloom of this basement tavern. A greasy, fat hobgoblin serves drinks behind the bar. He hardly acknowledges newcomers. A raised lip and a bit of yellow fang are all one gets. Patrons retreat into the shadowy corners of the place, trying hard not to be noticed.

Saellin makes his way up to the bar, and the hobgoblin acknowledges him more. “You’re ugly mug’s lookin’ better than it was last night. Seems ya recover’d from your wounds pretty well.” The barkeep says as he turns his back and grabs a bottle of the shelf behind him and putting it on the counter infront of Saellin. “Here’s the usual for ya. Shyva’s not here right now, but…….”

The hobgoblin trails off and stares at the disguised elf a second and then gets an angry look on his face. “Wait a minute here! You’re not Gaunt.!”

Saellin disguise (-2 for different race) vs. innkeeper's Spot (+6 for familiarity with Gaunt) (1d20+16=20, 1d20+7=21)[/sblock][sblock=SVEN]
Walking by the house once more, Sven searches for anything that might give him a hint of who lives here, but is unavailable to find anything other than a wood plaque with the address 5a King’s Circle on Seccuran elaborately carved into it. The same address that is on the note he holds in his hand. If it weren’t for the address itself, nothing about this house would make it stand out compared to the other ones in the neighborhood.

Unsatisfied, Sven makes his way back to the meeting spot. It doesn’t take him nearly as much time to get back as it did to find the home in the first place.[/sblock][sblock=Se'ket]
‘‘Word of the affairs of our professors with students seem travel faster than anything else around here.” Matra says with a voice of frustration as she is looking over some papers on her desk.

“I guess you could tell them you are working on a paper for the university or some such matter. They won’t care much about the murder of Gaunt as we tend to police or own business on campus.” She says as she sets down the paper was scrutinizing and looks to Se’ket.. “That’s why I tasked the group of you to do it. They might help if you trade some information.”

She turns back to the pile of papers on her desk and grabs another one, crinkling the paper as her frustration is becoming evident. “Now go, I have other business to attend to. It seems you have this matter in hand.”[/sblock][sblock=Tome]
A search for a copy of any work of Belental Heirm’s, almost turns up nothing, but all is not lost. The warforged is able to come across a reference to Belental Heirm’s work in a book entitled, “Tarnished Words; Works from Those Ridiculed”.

The book is a collection of passages from various authors across Khorvaire who have been labeled crazy, controversial, insane, or utterly discredited. Tome is able to find a complete chapter to Heirm’s Deviant Celestia, entitled “Conjunctions to Coterminiousness”.

Reading through the chapter, Tome finds that the writing insists there are more than 13 planes, and that conjunctions of celestial items are harbingers to times when these rogue planes become coterminous with Eberron. One particular paragraph stands out more than the others:

“Such coterminous states with these rogue planes are rare and wonderful events. If my calculations are correct, the next one will occur hundreds of years in the future. What such an event heralds is anyone’s guess, as we have absolutely know idea of what ilk of creature could inhabit the rogue planes. I will say this: Aryth in Tiamat they come. Then we will know for certain if I am correct in my calculations.”
[/sblock][sblock=Drigg & Karmana]Drigg patiently waits for Patron Helcondate or his homunculus to return. Karmana, meanwhile, uses this time as an excuse to further examine the semi-circle on the floor.

Kneeling down, the artificer is shocked. The auras surrounding this semi-circle are similar to auras he has examined before in his classes, but those auras were all individual. The ones surrounding this semi-circle seem to have been bonded together so that their effects are layered.

He has heard rumors that passing this semi-circle without the proper permission would result in the disintegration of those who were so bold to give it a try, and always credited those rumors to collegiate myth or exaggeration. But with the strength and number of these auras, he realizes there might be more truth to those rumors than he is willing to test.

Three hours go by and it is getting closer to the time they are to meet back up with the others. There is still no sign of when Patron Helcondate will return and none of the other patrons and professors passing by are able to help. They have their own matters to tend to.[/sblock]

nick012000

First Post
Mista Collins said:
[sblock=Drigg & Karmana]Drigg patiently waits for Patron Helcondate or his homunculus to return. Karmana, meanwhile, uses this time as an excuse to further examine the semi-circle on the floor.

Kneeling down, the artificer is shocked. The auras surrounding this semi-circle are similar to auras he has examined before in his classes, but those auras were all individual. The ones surrounding this semi-circle seem to have been bonded together so that their effects are layered.

He has heard rumors that passing this semi-circle without the proper permission would result in the disintegration of those who were so bold to give it a try, and always credited those rumors to collegiate myth or exaggeration. But with the strength and number of these auras, he realizes there might be more truth to those rumors than he is willing to test.

Three hours go by and it is getting closer to the time they are to meet back up with the others. There is still no sign of when Patron Helcondate will return and none of the other patrons and professors passing by are able to help. They have their own matters to tend to.[/sblock]

"Huh. That circle must be pretty old; not many people can perform disintegration magics anymore. The Last War killed off most of the powerful magic-users. Wait here a moment, okay? I want to test something."

Going outside, Kamarna grabs a rock, and snaps a small branch off of a tree, with a few green leaves attached.

"Okay, now, let's see..."

He then tosses them both over the semi-circle.

[sblock=OOC]What does he think might happen were the circle to be broken?[/sblock]

Starman

Adventurer
What is he doing? the paladin wonders watching Karmana step outside. When he sees what the artificer is up to, he groans. "I'm not sure that's a good idea..." Drigg says as the rock and branch start to fly through the air.

Mista Collins

First Post
As Karmana tosses both the rock and branch across the semi-circle, he draws a few looks from the professors and other faculty in the area. Both land on the other side of the semi-circle with no ill effects.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," a student near one of the many stands for the homunculus says as she gives Karmana a smirk. “My grandfather once toyed with this same ward when he was in his first year. He thought it just a ploy and decided to cross uninvited. He was stuck down by Aureon himself and nothing but ash remained.”

Both Drigg and Karmana get the feeling that there is some truth to this woman's tale and aren't sure if they want to test it further.

Sense Motive for Drigg and Karmana (1d20+4=5, 1d20-1=8)

Shayuri

First Post
Tome taps the passage with a thick digit, and slips a ribbon in before shutting the book to mark the page. He then carries the book to the front desk to check it out before rejoining the others.

(unless this is not a "you can borrow" sort of library so much as a "a big collection of books" sort of library...in which case he merely reproduces the passage in question, complete with notation of author, original work cited, title, and page number...and then rejoins the others. :))

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Se'ket, female human druid

Mista Collins said:
[sblock=Se'ket]
‘‘Word of the affairs of our professors with students seem travel faster than anything else around here.” Matra says with a voice of frustration as she is looking over some papers on her desk.

“I guess you could tell them you are working on a paper for the university or some such matter. They won’t care much about the murder of Gaunt as we tend to police or own business on campus.” She says as she sets down the paper was scrutinizing and looks to Se’ket.. “That’s why I tasked the group of you to do it. They might help if you trade some information.”

She turns back to the pile of papers on her desk and grabs another one, crinkling the paper as her frustration is becoming evident. “Now go, I have other business to attend to. It seems you have this matter in hand.”[/sblock]
With a nod of her head, Se'ket removes herself from the Matron's office. She strides off towards the Natural Sciences department, trying to find Thevis or Cradok, two students in her department she knew were going to be at that lecture she had unfortunetly missed. She wanted to make a copy of their notes... And if she managed that, then she should have timed it just right to be arriving for dinner with the others of her group. Perhaps they had found something more directly related to Gaunt's death than she.

OOC: Se'ket's ready to meet up with the others when they are. I think it's getting a little late in the day to go pester the City Watch today. If not, she'll head into town, but I thought it was getting relatively late.

nick012000

First Post
Mista Collins said:
As Karmana tosses both the rock and branch across the semi-circle, he draws a few looks from the professors and other faculty in the area. Both land on the other side of the semi-circle with no ill effects.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," a student near one of the many stands for the homunculus says as she gives Karmana a smirk. “My grandfather once toyed with this same ward when he was in his first year. He thought it just a ploy and decided to cross uninvited. He was stuck down by Aureon himself and nothing but ash remained.”

Both Drigg and Karmana get the feeling that there is some truth to this woman's tale and aren't sure if they want to test it further.

Sense Motive for Drigg and Karmana (1d20+4=5, 1d20-1=8)

"I know that there's some sort of disintegration effect going on there, though I doubt that there's any sort of godly intervention going on; just powerful magic. I'm an artificer who specializes in magical traps and locks and stuff like that. I was just trying to figure out how exactly it works, to learn how to disarm it. If it weren't for the fact I'm busy investigating a murder, which is why I'm here in the first place, I'd be tempted to go down to the market and buy myself a few hens to toss over, as well, to determine how much of a creature needs to cross over before it's triggered. I'm rambling, aren't I? I'm Karmarna'darak, of House Tharashk. Nice to meet you. I'd offer to shake your hand, but, well..."

With that, Kamarna gestures at the disintegration circle.

Last edited:

Starman

Adventurer
"Glad to see someone else with some sense around here," Drigg mutters.

Speaking up to the student, he says, "Hey, you wouldn't happen to know where Matron Helcondate is, would you? It's important."

Remove ads