• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Aerial Combat - a little more depth (pardon the pun)

DJINNIMAN

First Post
I am looking at an encounter between a Roc and my PCs, some of whom will be riding atop pterodactyls. I'd like to really jazz this one up with minis and such, probably will make a 3 or 4 platform "map" of some sort. I am looking for something a little deeper than the rather sparse rules in the DMG and PHB about flying combat. What are some rules for prior editions or supplements that work well, or even homebrew rules that you like?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
You might convert the Stormwrack narrative combat rules for ships into aerial rules. I remember those being pretty cool.

Or you could run combat more or less normally if all combatants are flying in the same direction. If they're flying toward each other, joust-style (the pterodactyls made me say it), then you should allow both attackers to make attacks at the same time. Give bonuses or advantage for greater altitude, speed, and/or manueverability.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads