D&D General Rules Lawyers, Powergamers, and Munchkins: Thoughts on the Origins of Diverse Species

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I think Monty Haul may be even worse than official stuff espicially with magic items. Generally you get a lot of low power through to medium power weapons. You might get sonething like a flametongue level 5 and use it next ten levels.

Think Monty Haul would be more like +3 or better everything (armor, shield, sword), holy avenger handed out etc at reasonably low level.
I have no recollection where my Ranger got the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd - I assume it was semi-legit. I am almost certain we handwaved getting the +whatever plate to cover the parts it didn't ...

It was a long time ago and a good chance of being before I was even in high school. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it .

I also have no idea how the other characters refueled the F-14s or learned how to fly them. Those were magical times.

Don't think any of them were above 14th level iirc.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I think Monty Haul may be even worse than official stuff espicially with magic items. Generally you get a lot of low power through to medium power weapons. You might get sonething like a flametongue level 5 and use it next ten levels.

Think Monty Haul would be more like +3 or better everything (armor, shield, sword), holy avenger handed out etc at reasonably low level.
Hmm. Perhaps. To me that sounds like a difference of degree and not kind; both are Monty Haul, both extravagant. One is just the extravagance of someone on the high end of a six figure income, and the other is the extravagance of someone on the low end of seven figures. Both are pretty far out there for someone who barely makes five.

Reynard

Legend
Hmm. Perhaps. To me that sounds like a difference of degree and not kind; both are Monty Haul, both extravagant. One is just the extravagance of someone on the high end of a six figure income, and the other is the extravagance of someone on the low end of seven figures. Both are pretty far out there for someone who barely makes five.
I guess the difference would be based on what you can do with money in the given campaign. If you can purchase magic items in one and have to pay to train in another, there will be quite a difference in whether 50K gold is "Monty Haul" or not.

Zardnaar

Legend

Back then everyone would have got the 6 figures at least if you played official D&D adventures.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was half of the appeal/fantasy.

Everyone has lots of stuff comparatively then the munchkin/that guy turns up with everything.

Remove ads