Aeson's Music Lesson

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The Aerosmith/Run-DMC version of “Walk This Way” has been played on my favorite local classic rock station, but very rarely. I might hear it a couple of times a year. No Beasties, though.

By way of contrast, a now-defunct metal station here would play “Bring The Noise” by Anthrax & Public Enemy almost monthly. Even so, I can’t recall EVER hearing other rap-rock or rap-metal on that station except the biggest of the nü-metal bands and their offshoots & descendants. So you’d hear RAtM, Deftones, Korn, Limp Bizcuit, Linkin Park, 311, and the like, but not Mordred, Hardcorp, or any of the stuff from the Judgement Night soundtrack. And you definitely didn’t hear any of even the hardest rap performers- even those who were connected to any of the bands I just mentioned.

No lessons, just observations. Could be very different dynamics in a different market.
For sure its pretty rare. I also think of Ice-T as a rapper, but not really his work with Body Count.

Dioltach

Legend
I just tuned in to The Mix Radio 80s. From 7pm to 11pm, the programming is "Dance Classics". The song that's on now is "Walk of Life" by the Dire Straits. Not sure that I would category it as "dance". (New song on now: "Stand" by REM.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For sure it’s pretty rare. I also think of Ice-T as a rapper, but not really his work with Body Count.
And that metal station definitely played Bodycount, but wouldn’t touch Ice-T’s rap stuff.

Shame, too, because he was always a metalhead, and frequently sampled hard rock and metal music. Check out “Midnight” to see how he melded samples from Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

payn

I just tuned in to The Mix Radio 80s. From 7pm to 11pm, the programming is "Dance Classics". The song that's on now is "Walk of Life" by the Dire Straits. Not sure that I would category it as "dance". (New song on now: "Stand" by REM.)
Sweat head band? Check. Sweat wrist bands? Check.

Ryujin

Legend
There have been many times that a "Classic Rock" station has really confused me. Playing stuff that I would have classified as Ska, Reggae, New Wave, or New Romantic for example. I don't know that I'd refer to Marley's "Jammin" or Ultravox's "The Damned Don't Cry" as Rock, Classic or otherwise.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm not sure what makes classic Rock for sure. These are two of the six stations in my Sirius presets that have been warping me to whatever definition they use for classic Rock over the past few years. As someone noted before on here I think, it's probably whatever definition truckers like.

payn

There have been many times that a "Classic Rock" station has really confused me. Playing stuff that I would have classified as Ska, Reggae, New Wave, or New Romantic for example. I don't know that I'd refer to Marley's "Jammin" or Ultravox's "The Damned Don't Cry" as Rock, Classic or otherwise.

I'm not sure what makes classic Rock for sure. These are two of the six stations in my Sirius presets that have been warping me to whatever definition they use for classic Rock over the past few years. As someone noted before on here I think, it's probably whatever definition truckers like.
I think that classic rock started as a guitar forward style of music out of 60's to 80's. This designation already encompassed a few genres like garage rock, psychedelic, prog, etc.. So, even from the start it was a grab bag of "yesterdays rock". As time goes on, more and more rock genres are fitting into that "yesterdays rock" timeframe and so the classification grows. Really its just a less lame sounding oldies term.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I think that classic rock started as a guitar forward style of music out of 60's to 80's. This designation already encompassed a few genres like garage rock, psychedelic, prog, etc.. So, even from the start it was a grab bag of "yesterdays rock". As time goes on, more and more rock genres are fitting into that "yesterdays rock" timeframe and so the classification grows. Really its just a less lame sounding oldies term.

The more general 60s, 70s, and 80s stations definitely feel like they have a lot of poppy-oldies stuff the Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind would never play.

payn

The more general 60s, 70s, and 80s stations definitely feel like they have a lot of poppy-oldies stuff the Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind would never play.
Yeah, those satellite stations are going to be a bit more specific. They get away with it because there are so many. The over the air sites in local communities are going to have to be a bit more general and poppy by their nature.

I split the difference with my local Minnesota Public Radio station The Current. Its format is college/indie radio about 70% of the time, however, they play all genres regularly. Every artist and song in the OP gets play on 89.3 except not necessarily daily. They do all kinds of fun top 89 song lists and other fun events. Public funded so you can stream anywhere with no commercial interruption. You may want a more specific format, but I really enjoy the combo of curated song lists along with the newest stuff so I'm always getting the best of yesterdays rock and cutting edge.

Playlist from the last few hours.

Remove ads