Aeson's Music Lesson

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Learn me about music. A local radio station reverted to an old name 99X. In the 99X was an Alternative station. I was not a fan of the genre at the time. My tastes have broadened over the years. I listened to the station for 6 hours straight last night. Normally I flip around to different stations. Many of the songs I knew. Some I didn't but I liked them all. Below is the play list for the last two hours. What genre would you put these songs in? I wanted to splinter off the classic rock discussion from another thread. Would you consider some or all of these classic rock?

• A Long December
    Counting Crows
    9:58 AM
  • About a Girl
    Nirvana
    9:55 AM
  • Shout
    Tears for Fears
    9:49 AM
  • Self Esteem
    The Offspring
    9:39 AM
  • Roxanne
    The Police
    9:36 AM
  • Criminal
    Fiona Apple
    9:30 AM
  • Fix You
    Coldplay
    9:26 AM
  • Hey Jealousy
    Gin Blossoms
    9:22 AM
  • London Calling
    The Clash
    9:19 AM
  • Iris
    The Goo Goo Dolls
    9:14 AM
  • Fell On Black Days
    Soundgarden
    9:10 AM
  • Solsbury Hill
    Peter Gabriel
    9:05 AM
  • Learn to Fly
    Foo Fighters
    9:01 AM
  • Take A Picture
    Filter
    8:57 AM
  • Pictures of You
    The Cure
    8:52 AM
  • Feel the Pain
    Dinosaur Jr.
    8:47 AM
  • No Sleep Till Brooklyn
    Beastie Boys
    8:43 AM
  • Under the Bridge
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    8:39 AM
  • Machinehead
    Bush
    8:33 AM
  • With or Without You
    U2
    8:28 AM
  • Cornflake Girl
    Tori Amos
    8:23 AM
  • Promo DNA 1
    Promo DNA 1
    8:22 AM
  • Are You Gonna Be My Girl
    Jet
    8:19 AM
  • Today
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    8:15 AM
  • Back On the Chain Gang
    Pretenders
    8:12 AM
  • Vasoline
    Stone Temple Pilots
    8:09 AM
  • Selling the Drama
    LIVE
    8:06 AM
  • Satellite
    Dave Matthews

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
That's a nice variety of music from several genres.

Pretenders, U2, Police and a few others would definitely show up on Sirius XMs classic rewind station.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
One thing I liked is, in the 6 hours I listened, there were no repeated songs. Repeated artists though. They even played Long Day by Matchbox 20. 3 a.m. and Push are the most often played songs. I'm not sure, but I think this was the first time I heard Long Day on the radio.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
funny-middle-aged-humor-pics-30.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
“Alternative” has become a pretty broad umbrella term, just like “classic rock” and “oldies”. For example, my favorite classic rock and alternative stations BOTH play music from The Police, Metallica, The Clash, RHCP, U2, and others.

i can say, though, that there’s several on that list I haven’t heard on classic rock stations…yet. Fiona Apple and Tori Amos spring to mind. Gin Blossoms, too. Dave Matthews. Dinosaur Jr.

I’d be surprised if I heard the Beastie Boys on a classic rock station.

Last edited:

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I have heard Matchbox 20 on a classic rock station. RHCP and Nirvana too. Is it just the age of the song? If it's old to be charged as adult for a crime then it's a "classic" song?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Im curious if classic rock is a genre or an age? Like when things go from new to vintage to antique? Going by my rule of thumb and saying classic rock is my Dad's music, I don't consider any of those tracks classic rock. Closest is The Police which was second wave Ska really, and The Clash which was punk/post punk. However, Goggle says that classic rock spans the 60's psychedelia to 70s prog, to 80s post punk/new wave to 90s grunge, so I guess these do count?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I personally do not think there’s any hard & fast rule as to what classic rock is in any meaningfully informative way.

Remove ads