Aeson's Music Lesson

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
See, I hear these terms, but I don't really know the meaning. I hear No Doubt is a Ska band, but not really, not true ska. My idea of punk is Billy Idol. How can a band be punk and post punk? Those are two different genres of music? Is post punk for punks that got too old to be punks anymore? Would Sid Vicious be post punk if he were alive?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I wouldn't call any of that "classic rock". That playlist hews pretty closely to what an "alternative" format station would have played in the early 2000's. It skews a little further toward a "retro" mix of songs from the late 70's that might have been considered foundational to the "alternative" format back in the 80's, things like the Police, Clash, and Pretenders, than what was actually played on those stations in the mid-80's, of which I'd say the TfF song is the most exemplary.

EtA: Anyways, radio formats don't define musical genres. If I had to put all these records into a genre, I don't think I could get more specific than Rock/Pop.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
See, I hear these terms, but I don't really know the meaning. I hear No Doubt is a Ska band, but not really, not true ska. My idea of punk is Billy Idol. How can a band be punk and post punk? Those are two different genres of music? Is post punk for punks that got too old to be punks anymore? Would Sid Vicious be post punk if he were alive?
No Doubt would be third wave ska. Post punk is an evolution in punk sound and feel. Punk was crass, simplistic and political as a reaction to the overindulgent progressive rock scene that had taken root out of psychedelic rock. Post punk hung onto the counter culture element, but softened the edge and tried to be more stylish.

Music is always in a state of flux, but there are similarities in every genre and always presence of what came before. Look to what was happening at the time of the popularity and commercialization and will you see the cultural elements that kicked off the new sub-genre.

payn

I’d be surprised if I heard the Beastie Boys on a classic rock station.
Depends on the album. They used a ton of classic rock samples on License to Ill. Check your head, ill communication, and hello nasty would be a surprise.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Depends on the album. They used a ton of classic rock samples on License to Ill. Check your head, ill communication, and hello nasty would be a surprise.
They did, but in the die-hard core of classic rockers, rap isn’t usually held in the highest regard.

payn

They did, but in the die-hard core of classic rockers, rap isn’t usually held in the highest regard.
True, but I think Beasties and Run DMC using a lot of rock licks on their albums went a long ways to bridging the divide. I could easily see the walk this way mix up being played on classic rock station too.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
True, but I think Beasties and Run DMC using a lot of rock licks on their albums went a long ways to bridging the divide. I could easily see the walk this way mix up being played on classic rock station too.
The Aerosmith/Run-DMC version of “Walk This Way” has been played on my favorite local classic rock station, but very rarely. I might hear it a couple of times a year. No Beasties, though.

By way of contrast, a now-defunct metal station here would play “Bring The Noise” by Anthrax & Public Enemy almost monthly. Even so, I can’t recall EVER hearing other rap-rock or rap-metal on that station except the biggest of the nü-metal bands and their offshoots & descendants. So you’d hear RAtM, Deftones, Korn, Limp Bizcuit, Linkin Park, 311, and the like, but not Mordred, Hardcorp, or any of the stuff from the Judgement Night soundtrack. And you definitely didn’t hear any of even the hardest rap performers- even those who were connected to any of the bands I just mentioned.

No lessons, just observations. Could be very different dynamics in a different market.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases