• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

After Waterdeep what should be the next FR adventure?

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Sembia, Cormyr and Sea of Fallen Stars Pirates adventure OR
Lantan Gond-stravaganza leading to the discovery/invention of a spelljamming helm. The first foray into Realmspace or the Astral Sea whichever way they go

Oh, man, I'm not even going to try to guess at their actual publication schedule...
It’s tricky but not impossible.
Two adventures in a row is bound to be taxing Perkins. Three might be super hard.
So the spring might easily be another sourcebook. I can see them doing two splatbooks next year and one adventure in the summer. To allow them to get back to a Sping/Summer adventure schedule for 2020.

Or more heavy reliance on freelancers/ updated reprints of old classics. Either would work.

But, I’ve been wrong more than I’ve been right (although for a time I was expecting a city focused adventure). So who knows?

That could be a fun idea, but if it's Pirates themed I hope it's in the Sea of Fallen Stars and not the Swordcoast, with a nice, detailed map of the Sea of Fallen Stars and it's surrounding nations akin to the map of the North and Sword Coast that SKT got.
Maybe. But it would be a lot of territory to cover. Not impossible I suppose; couldn’t be worse than Storm King’s Thunder...

I believe the Lantan connection is the Lantese sub found in Waterdeep.

When talking about Lantan being shown on the map in ToA, it was the fact that Lantan was actually being mapped out which was important. So it sounds to me that we'll be visiting Lantan in some sort of future adventure; and as it would be a great place to link the setting to a Spelljammer adventure, that would seem to me a logical reason for an adventure to be set there. In fact, the sub in W: DH and the Spellhammer helm in W: DotMM seem to me almost teasers for such an adventure.

Beyond that, they recently did a Know Your Lore on Cormyr, so I wouldn't be surprised if we were to visit the area in the near future, especially as it'a always been a popular region of the setting...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It’s tricky but not impossible.
Two adventures in a row is bound to be taxing Perkins. Three might be super hard.
So the spring might easily be another sourcebook. I can see them doing two splatbooks next year and one adventure in the summer. To allow them to get back to a Sping/Summer adventure schedule for 2020.

Or more heavy reliance on freelancers/ updated reprints of old classics. Either would work.

But, I’ve been wrong more than I’ve been right (although for a time I was expecting a city focused adventure). So who knows?

Maybe. But it would be a lot of territory to cover. Not impossible I suppose; couldn’t be worse than Storm King’s Thunder...

They might not do two adventure books again next year: if they do, I'd wager one follows the TftYP format. One AL season only seems probable, or one per Setting in play, however many that makes get be.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
When talking about Lantan being shown on the map in ToA, it was the fact that Lantan was actually being mapped out which was important. So it sounds to me that we'll be visiting Lantan in some sort of future adventure; and as it would be a great place to link the setting to a Spelljammer adventure, that would seem to me a logical reason for an adventure to be set there. In fact, the sub in W: DH and the Spellhammer helm in W: DotMM seem to me almost teasers for such an adventure.

Beyond that, they recently did a Know Your Lore on Cormyr, so I wouldn't be surprised if we were to visit the area in the near future, especially as it'a always been a popular region of the setting...

Mearls and Perkins we're working on the Waterdeep books in 2015, apparently, at least the concept stages. They are playing the long game with refences: Perkins has said on occasion, and recently, that the core three books contain Easter Eggs for years worth of plans.

A follow up to Out of the Abyss involving the undead mindflayers invading the surface. Based on the Monster Manual (gnolls and chimera, specifically), it seems like when demon lords wander around the material plane, new monsters seem to pop up, so it could involve more than just mindflayers.

I don't really care where the deadflayers show up, but maybe someplace we haven't had an adventure set in the FR in 5e yet....

Derren

Hero
Personally I don't think it will either be Lantan or pirates, simply because the D&D system doesn't work very well for either ship battles or advanced technology.

Staffan

Legend
That could be a fun idea, but if it's Pirates themed I hope it's in the Sea of Fallen Stars and not the Swordcoast, with a nice, detailed map of the Sea of Fallen Stars and it's surrounding nations akin to the map of the North and Sword Coast that SKT got.

I agree that the Sea of Fallen Stars would work better for a sea-faring/pirate-themed campaign than the Sea of Swords, because seafaring works best when there's plenty of back-and-forth sea travel across the actual sea. On the Sea of Swords, you're mainly traveling up and down the coastline whereas on the Sea of Fallen Stars you'd be going more all over the place.

Plus, it'd be somewhere new and offer the opportunity to explore Cormyr, Sembia, the Dragon Coast, as well as a bunch of other nations around the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Remove ads