• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Against the Flumpfs

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Tendril trailing bivalves with eye stalks sticking out the top as they float around on air they eject from holes in their bottoms?

Just from an ecological point of view I'd say these are aerial creatures previously at home on atolls, beaches, and other shallow aquatic environments.

But they're also intelligent? So those tendrils have some ability to manipulate their surroundings? Yet each creature is as easily disrupted, even killed, by an action as simple as a cymbal smash?

Now I'm thinking they lair on high, rocky coastal hills most creatures couldn't climb up if they wanted to. And the pelicans, seagulls, and other avians are defended against like any normal bivalve would. Add in some old, naturally water carved cave systems, and a major community of Flumphs might develop unhindered by outside predators. The potential culture and technologies of such creatures would be fantastic indeed.

How do they communicate with each other? Procreate? How long does it take them to carve niches in their cave with those tiny tendrils and exhausting gas spouts to stay aloft?

Personally, I think 2' kobolds have a field day with these guys and kobolds are the lowest of the lowest tier of monsters to challenge the PCs. Maybe in mass like a bat swarm? But otherwise they are at best a kind of civilization of Brains in Jars. Interesting, maybe psionically dangerous, but not otherwise. Their vicious cousin the Grell on the other hand...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The grell/flumpfh thing could be interesting...

Grell could be what happens to Flumph during their version of the Pon Farr.

Grell could be Tulpa created from the collective subconscious of the Flumpfh

Grell and Flumpfh could have been created when some being divided another creature into its good and evil sides...

Essenti

Explorer
Florist Flumph - The Campaign of a Lifetime...

florist_flumph_by_deiterate-d7q9rl9.jpg

Edit* D&D will never be the same once you've seen it through the eyes of Florist Flumph.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When you rub a flumpf against a rakshasa, it creates a xag-ya & a xeg-yi...

Now I can't stop laughing :lol::lol::lol:

Don't lie: you're seeing it like this, aren't you? :D

[video=youtube;TE2r0vjkXK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE2r0vjkXK0&sns=em[/video]

"Now, if everything goes according to my plan..."

*giggle*

"Yesssssss?"

"Forive me, m'lord, but you have a...ummmm..."

"YES, I KNOW I have a flumpfh on my ass! Ignore it!"

*giggle*

Last edited:

Remove ads