• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AI is stealing writers’ words and jobs…

They don't even need to be acquiring future content, a one-time deal to get the rights to the existing catalog of data would already be helpful. Given the size of the investments in AI companies, large corporations have the means to get ethically-sourced large-scale, badly captionned/raw data.

Last edited:

who am i supposed to cheer for in this?

Elon Musk Sues OpenAI and Sam Altman for Violating the Company’s Principles​

Musk said the prominent A.I. start-up had put profits and commercial interests ahead of seeking to benefit humanity.

seems knowing how to use AI is now a job requirement

hwm9s2tbj5mc1.jpeg

and the companies response to the backlash is basically doubling down

"Guys, we would like to clarify this issue. We use AI as a working tool for our future project, which is in the early stages of production right now.AI will be used exclusively for additional work with concepts and speeding up some internal processes (for example, for creative search, inspiration, or vision coordination before starting conceptualization itself).The final version of the game will not have any art generated by the neural networks. The same goes for the final concepts. Everything will be original and drawn by professional artists.On our current projects, Rogue Trader and Pathfinder, AI was not used at all.We are very sorry that we confused you with the information about AI in the job description. We understand that without further explanation this may be misinterpreted, so we have removed this information."

I haven't kept current. What is the backlash status right now, with them requiring to use reference board software, that will threaten the livelihood of drawing boards makers around the world?

Joke aside, it's sure that AI tools will transform the artistic job market. Even if one is to oppose it, learning to be fluent in its use will be useful for a lot of image-related jobs. Much like knowing Excel is a must in a lot of office environments, even if you prefer doing your calculations with a trusty old calculator and will use only 0.1% of Excel's functionalities for the job.

U.S. Copyright Office February 23, 2024 letter to Congress giving updates on its AI initiative

See section "Statements to Congress" at the U.S. Copyright Office's AI webpage, or view this PDF file.

From the letter:

Since the Registration Guidance was issued, the Office’s Registration Division has examined hundreds of works that incorporate AI-generated material and has issued registrations to well over 100 so far.

The second section, to be published in the summer, will address the copyrightability of works incorporating AI-generated material. It will analyze U.S. law’s human authorship requirement and its implementation by the Office in registration decisions, including how to determine when AI-generated material can embody human authorship; survey international practices; and assess the policy arguments with respect to copyright protection for AI-generated material.

Today's release of Stability AI's model for generating 3D models was trained on creative common licenced data only. While it doesn't speak of their soon to be released SD3, as the need might be higher for a text to image model, it is illustrating at least a branch of AI art (for videogames) where the accusation of theft is no longer current. I fully expect it to be the case for most models in the next few month (which is long term in AI time). I look forward to the end of the ethical debate by years'end.

Remove ads