Air Conditioner Madness (What do you set yours at?)

What temperature do you usually keep your AC set at when you're home and awake on hot days?

• 78 F / 25.5 C or above

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • 76-77 F / 24.5-25 C

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • 74-75 F / 23.5-24 C

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • 72-73 F / 22-23 C

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • 70-71 F / 21-21.5 C

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • 69 F / 20.5 C or below

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Have AC but don't know what temperature the room is

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Don't have AC even though it often gets above 86 F/30 C

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Don't have AC, but it rarely gets to 86F/30 C here

Votes: 12 15.4%

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
We recently got new air conditioning and heating units for our house (our old units were 30+ years old; we're in the US south where we will have at least a couple days each summer over 100 F/37.8 C).

When I mentioned what temperature we keep our house at in the summer (77 F = 25 C) a bunch of friends here were shocked we kept it that high, even if it's a degree F lower than what the US Department of Energy recommends. Being from the upper-midwest in the US, I was surprised that so many folks in the US south (where we are now) had it set so low compared to what I was used to (I would have thought they would be more heat tolerant).

So, what do you keep your AC set at when you're at home and awake on hot days? In the comments, I'm particularly interested in what region of the world you're from and the region you live in now.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Your setting seem high to me, but I'm sure it's still a respite from the heat. Especially since it will dehumidify the air as well.

We keep ours at 72° F. I'd keep it a couple degrees cooler, but my spouse and 7yo complain about it being cold already.

I'm in New England, USA, for reference.

Zardnaar

Legend
Middle of winter here and the heat pump is on 22 Celsius.

In summer we drop it to 18 or 15 if it hits 30+ or 29+ at night.

12C/53F outside mild for this time of year. Cold snap expected tomorrow probably below freezing with snow perhaps.

Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I live in San Francisco. We open our window and let in the fog!

October is usually our summer, it can get into the high 80's or low 90's. That wouldn't be a problem except that for the last few years smoke from the wildfires have prevented us from being able to open our windows.
I lived in Oakland for 20 years, up until '09, and I only turned on my AC once or twice, it was rarely above 80.

aco175

Legend
I'm in New England as well and put in a few window units around July for a couple months. Tend to use them only on days above 90 though or at night to cool/dry things to sleep. Daytime would be around 77 and night around 72 on these times- maybe 10-15 days a summer.

Remove ads