Airwalkrr's Legends of Mistyka

airwalkrr

Adventurer
It is a fine day for an adventure. The sun in shining, the birds are singing, and your purses are practically empty. Your party has gathered around a tavern table at the Rushing Boar Inn, a hang out for locals and the occassional traveler making their way through Dillarak. The object of your current interest is a map that purports to lead the way to the fabled halls of Duomir, a once-great dwarven community where mithral was forged into the finest armor the world has ever seen. Legends surrounding the ruin are many, but it is well known that the place has been abandoned for years. Why is something of a mystery, though the locals doubtless know some rumors if you were to ask.

After careful study of the map, you estimate it will take approximately a tenday to reach the ruins if you proceed on foot. There is no road, so travel will be a bit rough, and as the journey takes you through the Tathek Hills, a place rumored to be filled with monsters, it is likely to be even more difficult going. It may be a good idea to speak with the locals at the tavern to see if you can learn more about the environs before setting out.

More to come regarding the people of interest in the inn.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Reminder regarding Knowledge checks. If your character has the selected Knowledge skill, you may roll a knowledge check for any spoiler block. If you succeed, you may open the spoiler. I have no way of policing this. Use the honor system. Please make all rolls using invisible castle with your character's name and link to the roll.

[sblock=Knowledge (history) or bardic knowledge DC 15: Duomir; automatic for dwarves (but not duergar)]The dwarven ruin of Duomir has been abandoned for at least 100 years. Dwarves say the area is cursed and it is said that no dwarf who once dwelt in the place is still living. No one seems to know why.[/sblock]

[sblock=Knowledge (geography) DC 12: Tathek Hills]The Tathek Hills are home to both a tribe of ogres called the Skullcrushers and a dromite hive. The dromites occasionally trade with the people of Dillarak, but their presence has been rare of late. The ogres are an infrequent nuisance. Other monsters common to hill terrain are known to wander the land.[/sblock]

Griffith, a boisterous and jovial man with a balding pate welcomes your group to his humble establishment with hearty hello. He invites you to summon either of his daughters, Tian or Zuella, if you wish for anything this fine morning. To make you feel more at home, he offers you a plate of biscuits on the house, "New customer special!" he exclaims. Griffith seems quite chummy with many of his customers, several of whom appear to be repeat business.

[sblock=Knowledge (local) or bardic knowledge DC 16: Griffith]Griffith the innkeeper is well known to all who travel along the highway that runs between the Johaki Empire and Macea. His prices are fair and his service is excellent. If there is an interesting bit of gossip in the border region, Griffith probably has it.[/sblock]

As Griffith returns to the bar, he begins chatting up a tall elf with long hair dressed in earthy colors. The elf carries no armaments but a longsword, and is garbed in a brown and green tunic with bleached leather breeches. He and Griffith appear to know each other and soon the two are swapping stories over a bottle of wine.

[sblock=Knowledge (arcana) DC 17: the elf]The elf fits the description of one Quarion of Leymeet, a traveling peddler of magics. He is said to be zealous for learning new spells and willing to offer a fair price for such treasured information. He is also known to be a skilled arcane spellcaster.[/sblock]

Sitting alone in the corner munching hungrily on what can only be a roasted boar omelet is a black-haired man dressed completely in crimson leather. The man's style notwithstanding, he has an air of confidence about him. Though the man is alone, you are never able to stare at him long until he stares right back at you. Clearly, he is quite aware of his surroundings.

[sblock=Knowledge (local) or bardic knowledge DC 15: the man in red]This man fits the description of one Rirsh of Lasmyrick, also known as Rirsh the Red. He is often seen traveling near the border and is well known in Dillarak. He is known to be a friend of adventurers and appears to work for the King of Macea, although whether he is employed on a permanent basis or merely a contractor is unknown. As a patron of adventurers, he often farms out lesser tasks bid him by his liege to others.[/sblock]

A group of armed men sits at a long table near the bar breaking their fast on eggs, buttered rolls, grits, roasted potatoes, and a spiced ham. Tian and Zuella are kept quite busy keeping up with the demands of the men who eat messily and call often for the girls to refill their mugs with cider. They each wear heraldry depicting a griffon and a shield upon a blue and yellow background.

[sblock=Knowledge (nobility and royalty) or bardic knowledge DC 17: the band of men]These men are Peacekeepers, members of a traveling contingent of guards who protect towns and villages along major highways from monsters and villains. You recognize their leader as Captain Stalsh, a decorated soldier who is well-respected by his men. Because the Peacekeepers keep to the well-traveled and heavily populated areas, they have been known to hire mercenaries and adventurers for task in less civilized areas.[/sblock]

arcanaman

First Post
I rolled the DC for the Bardic knoweledge(otherwise know as bardic cheating) I know go over to ask the bartender for a gig and then make a gather information check to collect folklore and any old songs that may exist about Duomir

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Markon looks at the notable people with passing interest. A few names ring a bell, but he does not know everything. He taps his fingers on the table, somewhat disgusted with himself that he cannot figure out the armed group. He had the feeling he should of known who they are.

He finally stand and approaches the elf near Griffith. "Pardon my intrusion, are you Quarion of Leymeet? I am known simply as Markon. I would like to enquire about a place known as Duomir. I have a general history of the place. I know how the dwarves feel about the place and that it has been abandoned for nearly a century. Is there anything else that you could inform me about?"

Arcana, History, N&R checks (in order) (1d20+8=23, 1d20+8=22, 1d20+8=10)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Remember to link to your rolls on www.invisiblecastle.com arcanaman.

[sblock=arcanaman]You recall a ballad about Duomir, a sad dwarven tale lamenting a clanhome lost. The ballad contains few specifics and is mainly a mourning dirge. Feel free to extemporize the details.[/sblock]

"You're more than welcome to perform here," Griffith replies to Lyrea's request, "just be warned the locals carry a good number of rotten tomatoes with them," he adds with a chuckle.

*****​

"Why, you seem to have me at a disadvantage, sir," the elf responds when Markon approaches, "you seem to know me by name yet I cannot recall yours. Do forgive me. And tell me why you ask of Duomir. I confess I know very little other than what most people could tell you. It is a wretched place, being underground and all, and has been abandoned a good many years."

"And for good reason," Griffith interjects, "I hears that dwarven spirits wander the place. Crazy spooks! No place I'd want to go wandering about."

"Yes, well," the elf replies in amusement, "I don't know if all that rot is true, but it is a mystery. Tell me, might you be an explorer planning an expedition? If so, I might have a proposition for you."

arcanaman

First Post
Did the bartender give her a job singing tonight
Lyrea returns to the group "I got way to make money tonight and I found a new song I think I will sing it tonight.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Aredal Light - Human Cleric

"I'll have a mead, thank you" The young man with golden hair says to a waitress with a warm smile. He sits down to a table looking over at his new friends. It seems the minstrel was already setting up a performance and the other fellow seemed to know this elf. Aredal fiddles the amulet hanging from his neck and decides to enjoy the show waiting for his friends to gather around once they were done.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
"Forgive me, I am afraid my name isn't well known. I am Markon Plampa. I am planning on going to Duomir, and would be greatly interested in any sort of a proposition."

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
The hulking female of a half-orc strolls into the inn seeking comrades on a quest. "Hmm, seems to be quite the jovial place," Melara says without a second thought.

She walks over to the bar and has a seat. She waits patiently for the bartender. When Griffith does arrive to tend to her she speaks to him. "I'm seeking comrades on a quest. Anything'll do, I've got a loan shark I need to pay off for the wares I've got with me. Do you think you can give a girl a hand?"

OOC: Knowledge Local 1 & 2 (1d20+7=16, 1d20+7=9) / Melara succeeds her roll regarding Griffith

Remove ads