• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Salahuddin smiles at Usqual and nods slightly at the compliment. The Sha'ir begins to put away the ritual items. He takes care not to spill or damage any of them. As he works he listens to Easifa's report. So it seems Usqual has been mostly truthful or smart enough to maintain the story even when not present. Salahuddin gives his commands as he finishes packing away the rug.

I will be heading to you shortly. Watch those in the cave. If they suddenly change their behavior or look to be preparing some form of ambush alert me.

With the last of the items again placed in the bag he stands.

"Now with the greeting complete we can retire to the shade of the caves. We can speak further on the troubles that have befallen the caravan and this oasis."

Matthan

Explorer
Husam finishes wrapping up some food in cloth as Salhuddin finishes his greeting with the Jann. His mind was troubled. He wanted to help these people, but something was strange. First, there was the hydra who shouldn’t be able to live here. Then, they found a murdered corpse of an honorable man. Finally, there was this Jann who was altogether far to insistent for his liking. The situation felt like a trap, but he couldn’t see where it would spring from where he stood. The Vizier was renowned for her wisdom and the Shi’ar had to be brilliant to have dealings with genies. The prince and Lal were both clever. The handmaiden had vanished into shadow before his eyes. They could figure this out and if the danger was real, turn it around on those who wanted to harm them. The best thing he could do was to create the space necessary for his companions to respond.

“I have taken the liberty of gathering some food for your fellows. It’s not much, but it should give them the strength to come and join us by our fire for a proper meal. The cave is up this trail, correct,” Husam says as he walks past the others and pauses by the Jann. “Would you honor me with your presence for this walk? I would not want any of your companions to suffer in hunger for longer than necessary, and I am afraid that I have a terrible sense of direction.”

OOC:
Husam motions for the Jann to join him. If he does, Husam deliberately keeps himself beside the Jann and in front of the others.

Quickleaf

Legend
Obsequiously bowing his head despite the look of chagrin knit on his brow, Usqual guides you to the base of the escarpment. Natural ledges have been hewn into the sandstone creating a switchbacking staircase no more than a few feet wide, just wide enough to move in single file.

Ajan's men and Nimar's rogues wait for you at the moonlit pond's edge, waiting for word about whether the caves were safe and would accommodate their numbers.

[SECTION]Sinjin, towering valet that he is, studies the narrow stone stairs dubiously. He glances toward Salahuddin, "Perhaps it would be better if I wait with the rest of our caravan. You may be Wind Called, but the stairs are quite little, and my feet are very large. I have no desire to slow you down." He explains, making it clear he's worried about falling.[/SECTION]

[SECTION]Turning to look over his shoulder as he begins ascending the single-file stairs, one hand on the stone face, Usqual raises his brows in a pleased expression. "While my waters have been taken, I still possess the powers of earth. If your servant would consent," he looks toward Salahuddin, "it is a simple magic for me to bring his stature down to that of a man. Do you find this agreeable?" His inoffensive voice lingers in lilting question as Husam moves in behind the jann.[/SECTION]

GM: Implied dilemma is that Sinjin, who is Large, has the ability to cast create food and water 1/day [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION].

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
"Usqual," said Amina, looking up a little, but careful not to meet his eyes. "Forgive me, but I am curious. Why was your water taken from you?"

"What say you shaqiq (brother)? Usqual has offered to shrink you down to my stature. Making your feet and the steps a perfect fit." Salahuddin smiles at his valet. "Or if you prefer to take to the skies after so many centuries I could command the winds to lift you. It is your choice."

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Looking once more at the narrow staircase, Sinjin places a hand over his broad chest, "Thank you, oh janni of the High Desert, but I fear a reduction in stature would do little to teach this one humility." Despite Sinjin's self-deprecating courtesy, the janni barely seems to pay attention to Salahuddin's tasked genie servant. "It would indeed be preferable to fly, Alrriah Yusamma. That way I may accompany you as I was meant to."[/SECTION]

[SECTION]Nodding, as if he has no attachment to the tasked genie's choice, Usqual returns his hand to the sandstone wall as he ascends the escarpment gracefully. At some points the stairs become quite narrow, and in the soft moonlight you must keep your eyes peeled for the fluctuations in height and depth of the stone-carved stairs. "My tribe has long been pitted against the Khaldunis," responds Usqual over his shoulder to Amina, "may they rot behind their pillars of wickedness. It was they who took my waters from me after our last battle. Others fared worse. Never have the Fates created a more irascible people than the Khaldunis." In his bitterness, Usqual uses a very unusual term – 'Fates' – when nearly ever other traveler or philosopher you've had dealings with in Zakhara uses the singular form 'Fate'.[/SECTION]

After a careful ascent of the moonlight stairs, you approach the cave's mouth.

Last edited:

Salahuddin nods to his servant and pulls his rod from his belt. He is about to begin casting then pauses.

"The winds can carry one other in addition to myself and Sinjin. Does anyone else not trust their footing on this climb?"

As the Sha'ir waits for an answer from the others he begins to cast the spell. He gestures towards the north and moves the rod in small circles ad if drawing something towards himself. AS he does this he speaks.

'adeu alriyah. tueal walqiam baladay aleata'at

As he finishes the last incantation he touches Sinjin. Sinjins pants begin to flap as if in a strong breeze yet the air seems still. Salahuddin's robes do begin to flap as well. He then touches whomever decides to take the last of his spells energy.

"The winds will now carry you to the top of the steps."

OOC: Casting fly using a 5th lvl slot. Casting it on myself and Sinjin. I can cast it on one other. Anyone else want to fly?

Quickleaf

Legend
Risen up on invisible gusts, Salahuddin, his valet Sinjin, and Prince Harun reach the top of the escarpment about a minute ahead of the rest of the party led by Usqual taking the stone-hewn stairs. The sandstone cave's entrance is recessed and kept dark, only intermittent shifting of shadows hinting at a fire burning within; closer study of the shadows reveals the hint of a man's head near the entrance. Faint echoes emanate within the cave, but it's hard to make out anything intelligible without drawing close and deliberately listening.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
"Don't forget to announce yourself" Lal said pleasantly as the others rose up. Let them fly. He could walk on water, he didn't need the fun. Turning to the others he added "please, after you, I will guard the rear and go last"

He looked at the stone steps. He was enormously strong and sure footed but... his knees were starting to hurt. He wasn't going to be able to do this forever... but he wasn't done. Answers were still out there.

Remove ads