D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Quickleaf

Legend
Several passing theologians and philosophers scowl at the visage of an acolyte of Hakiyah carrying a drunkard through the streets. The man's scimitar and jambiya are secured on Ankabut's person, completing the illusion of her doing her civic duty by the unconscious man.

GM: Eep! Good catch! I've edited it to make the reference to Akilah.
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] let's give you the benefit of the doubt about having Inspiration cause I can't remember either. Ankabut is aware that she was drawing upon her ki-empowered strikes against this man, which is quite unusual.

Shayuri

First Post
Amina brings the man over, off to one side. Though she doesn't make any noise, she catches Akilah's eyes when the vizier notices her and motions very subtly with her head towards the unconscious man on her shoulder.

When Akilah, and any others, move close enough, she says "He was watching us. One of the men following us from the auction. The others are near the west gate, at Rawun's Well. Or so he said. You may want to ask him more, but be careful...there is more to him than meets the eye."

Salahuddin half listens to the remaining conversation as he thinks back to his studies. The creatures taken had some uses in the arcane arts these raids could be unrelated. However their proximity to where Jina's men where raided and the similarity of the attackers made that unlikely. There was a connection here that alluded Salahuddin. He hated being in the dark. He turns facing his invisible Gen as it speaks.

Then let us hope he is as bad at his craft as you seem to think or I may need to ask the Great Caliph for a new servant.

Salahuddin chuckled to himself at his Gen. The djinnlings antics always made Salahuddin smile. He turns back to the group as Akilah dismisses Suelasta. He is about to speak and suggest moving on to the last of the merchants when the vizier's handmaid gets her attention and waves them over. He eyes the unconscious man and listens to the woman speak of his compatriots waiting near the west gate. It appears that the book he had the viziers acquire was more valuable than he thought.

"Easifa show yourself."

There is a small gust of wind and the djinnling materializes near Salahuddin. The gen floats several feet off the ground and keeps itself hidden from prying eyes. Easifa looks expectantly at it's master.

OOC: I am going to use light blue text to indicate when I am speaking in Auran

"Easifa there are men waiting at Rawun's Well near the west gate. They are dressed as this man here." Salahuddin indicates the grey robed man in Amina's arms. Find them, when you do inform me so that I may look upon them. Go now."

Easifa bows "I server your will master." The djinnling vanishes in another gust of wind.

"Easifa will find these men if they are there. He will scout for us and see what these men are planning."

Last edited:

Foxbytes

First Post
Najiyah lingered behind the others as they departed down the pathway away from Suelasta's menagerie, silently perturbed by feelings too alien for her to identify. Distracted by a trail along the bricks leading deeper into the merchant's private residence, Najiyah noted that said trail mysteriously stopped right where they had all been standing.

She lowered herself briefly, bending at the knees so as not to part the skirts of her elaborate caftan and immodestly expose her legs, then scooped up a bit of the grain and rubbed it between her fingers. Animal feed? She stared after Salahuddin's back with narrowed eyes before finally following after the party and rejoining them.

Najiyah tucked her sleeves more over her hands and rubbed them together for warmth, the night quickly bringing its coolness to the dry, desert lands. Though portly men such as Suelasta might sweat easily in the heat of the city's braziers, Najiyah frequently found there was never enough fire around to keep her comfortably warm. But even more so, tonight. All day, she had been feeling uncomfortably chilled by...something.

And so it was that when Salahuddin unceremoniously, and without warning, bade the wind genie to appear, Najiyah's reaction was...less than composed.

Her black eyes dilated until they appeared otherworldly and beastly, and she thrust her finger pointedly to Salahuddin and Easifa both, with any thought towards Amina's prisoner completely overshadowed by something more instinctual and more powerful taking over.

"I KNEW IT! I...KNEW...IT!"

To anyone witnessing this scene without knowing Easifa was there, it would look as if the vizier had spent too many hours in the sun. Emotions were running hot and fast from the pit of her stomach, only to boil some place around her ears; emotions so foreign and so uncharacteristic for the jovial Najiyah that it took her quite some time before she ascertained the nature of them. Anger, disdain, hostility.

"He's been here the whole time!"

Something about the djinni made Najiyah wrinkle her nose and resist the urge to spit at his non-existing feet. But that was completely irrational, rude, and frightfully unlike her. She had no reason to feel this way about someone she had never met. Great gods, she'd never even seen a wind genie, before.

The shock of having identified the unprovoked hatred for what it was, was at least enough to shake Najiyah out of her possession. She pressed the heel of her hand against her brow as she stumbled back, her gaze blurred and unfocused as she tried to look towards Amina and Akilah.

"I'm sorry...what? Who is trying to follow us?"

Jago

Explorer
~ Several things happened at once, and even the sturdy Mamluk was thrown off guard. Amina appeared having captured someone: where in Zakhara did she learn such skills of disappearance and reappearance, bearing gifts, no less! And this man had been following them since the Auction House? Had they truly made a powerful enemy by procuring that strange book that none of them had yet to try and read?

And then there was a Djinni! Appearing out of thin air, the creature was gone as quickly as Salahuddin had summoned it forth from the ether! Kaniel had never had dealings with such creatures, but often knew that sometimes, just sometimes, they could be allies out along the desert. They were often friendly to al-Badia such as himself.

This realization made Najiyah's reaction even more uncharacteristic for the cheerful Vizier. The Half-Orc was taken aback by her exclamation of deduction, as if she had noticed something peculiar about Salahuddin since they all had met ... and who was to say she did not? Sheikh Ali al-Hadd did say that Vizier Amahhum was his expert on matters concerning the mystic arts and genies, after all. But Kaniel also remember the woman that had saved him in The High Desert as someone divinely compassionate and genial, not ... not this.

When Najiyah tumbled backwards, Kaniel swiftly moved behind her and laid his hands upon her shoulders, keeping her upright and balanced. He peered over at her from the side to make sure that her own two feet could sustain her before slowly, gingerly removing his grip.

" What in the name of The Loregiver was that?" he asked pointedly of her and Salahuddin both, not accusatory but definitely seeking answers.

" We've ... We've been in the company of a Djinni this entire time? And why does this bother you, Nujaym?"

Starlet, he called her, for in his mad visions in the desert as a teen, he recalled that her skin had glowed with flickering suns, as if the haze of heat had given him some arcane insight to what she was beneath this mortal shell. It had been his own, personal name for this saving grace of his for years before he had ever come to know her as Najiyah Amahhum, Sorceress Supreme, and so it slipped from his tongue now.

" While we've clearly other matters to attend to, I would like an explanation on this. From both of you. Does the 'Venerable Fatima ibn Zaida' instruct you to keep this genie hidden in our midst on behalf of the Djinn? And Najiyah, as astonishing as this may be, why the loss of composure ..? Are you feeling alright?"

Though he was sincere in this, Kaniel's tone made it quite clear that he did, in fact, want this addressed sooner rather than later. They had all just begun to work together, and it did not behoove them, the Sheikh, or The Grand Caliph to have misunderstandings on their natures and goals. ~

Thateous

Explorer
Akilah turned back to notice Amina motioning her over and explaining the circumstances of the situation. As she's digesting the information Salahuddin summons and dismisses his Djinni which prompts an out of character reaction from Najiyah followed by her nearly colapsing causing the Mamluk to jump to her aid and ask for explanations from them both.

Akilah took a deep breath as she mentally balanced the situation.

"Amina, take this man inside the Menagerie and put him in a cage. Avoid the scorpion, as it is not as tamed as Suelasta would have everyone believe." "Kaniel!" she called, "Take her inside, this is not the time nor place for this discussion." Akilah then moved to assist Amina in moving the man.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

Shayuri

First Post
Amina blinked in surprise and dismay at Najiyah's outburst. First that she'd had no idea they were being followed, and then by the realization that this was not a team of people used to working together, except for her. Not entirely.

There would be interesting conversation tonight, she thought.

She dragged her quarry to Suelasta and said, "I need an empty cage...or a cage with something that will not attack a man who's fainted."

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Suelasta's eyes go wide at the revelation of the unconscious man, but his surprise quickly turns to grumbling as he fiddles with the large set of keys at his belt. "An empty cage? An empty cage? Why, with these dastardly raiders I have a surfeit of empty cages and not enough revenue! Now, I'll trust the good vizier not to go fabricating charges of me holding sentient beings in my cells anymore, hmm? That issue with the cobra was quite enough for one time, thank you!" He complains just loudly enough for Vizier Akilah to hear, but begrudgingly leads Amina to a habitat.

A coiled python some 12 feet tall slumbering in tree branches makes him reconsider, and Suelasta moves to another cell, unlocking it. "This was to be the leucrocrotta habitat," he gestures, opening the door wide. Within is a sizable space for running, a simulated desert habitat, and several small caves constructed by masons. "And how long, pray tell, will I have the pleasure of hosting this man as my guest?"[/SECTION]

[SBLOCK=Akilah, passive insight 19]. [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] As Akilah hefts the man, something about his breathing and movement of his eyes beneath closed lids unsettles her. Instinctively, the answer flashes in her mind. This man is feigning unconsciousness, and is actually still lucid![/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Thateous

Explorer
Akilah let's out an audible sigh as she adjusts her hold on the man with one hand holding his arm that was draped over her shoulder and her other hand placed comfortably on his spine. Without specifying who she is speaking to she begins, "You should've known better than to try and pull such a ruse around a Hakima." her eyes never leaving the intended direction of travel. "How long did you think your little deception would've lasted?" Akilah sighs again and then mutters something under her breath before patting the man on the spine.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

Foxbytes

First Post
Tiny lights dance in the darkness among tendrils of smoke. A shower of sparks accompany the waves of heat, eminating from some unseen source just off to the side of her peripheral. All she had to do was turn her head slightly to reveal the truth of what was there. She turned her gaze.

Najiyah looked over her shoulder and blinked to bring Kaniel's worried visage into focus. Her perpetual smile returned her lips as the fog cleared from her eyes, replaced instead by an expression of self-deprication and slight puzzlement.

"Oh, thank you Kaniel, what a clumsy bungler I can be!"

She released the vice-like grip she had on the mamluk's arms, seeming to not have taken any notice of how her fingers had dug into his arms hard enough to leave little white marks in his chartreuse skin.

She brushed her sleeves off as she regained her footing, all signs of hostility and upset completely vanished.

"Bother? Me? No no, of course I am not bothered, merely intrigued, but why in Zakhara would you think I was...oh, you mean where I lost my footing? I'm sure it was just an uneven stone I tripped over. But I hardly think I can be accused of 'losing my composure' just because I have two left feet."

She chuckled brightly as she looped her arm through Kaniel's to lead him back to Suelasta's abode herself. "And I'd thank you not to draw so much attention to my little topple next time. Come, let's go watch Akilah work her magic on our new friend while we wait for Easifa to return."

Remove ads