D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Ruling his DC 17 Wisdom save vs. Akilah's hold person an automatic failure due to the circumstances.

No one but Akilah would be any wiser of the man's attempted deception, for the man is paralyzed long enough to get him locked within the would-be leucrotta habitat. Suelasta handles locking of the iron gate leading from the cell.

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: The save DC for Akilah's spells is 17. Zone of truth is a Charisma save.

So, I recommend whenever casting a spell that involves a saving throw to mention your save DC as a courtesy. I do try to record those in my document with notes on your PCs, but I doubt other players especially are going to such lengths.

Man's DC 17 Charisma save vs. zone of truth _: 1D20+2 = [20]+2 = 22 succeeds

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] When it comes to "how hard is it to escape being restrained with rope (or its equivalent) in 5e?" we're in the realm of improvisation. My thinking is a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, which you may opt to 'take 10' on instead?

[SECTION] The man cracks an eye, breathing in a high-pitched tone for several heartbeats as he struggles against the restraints before resigning himself. "Well-played, hakima," he concedes begrudgingly. However, the gleam in his eye tells Akilah that the man is well-acquainted with this sort of enchantment magic, and it won't work on him.

Despite his artful feint, he seems genuinely dazed from Amina's capture of him, groaning as he feels the bruises above his kidneys. However, his discomfort does not stop the wiry man from evaluating the cell he now finds himself in. A rueful low-bellied laugh leaves his lips, dissolving into a grimace of pain. "We were surprised to see you viziers in the auction house. I'd have thought Sheikh Ali al-Hadd kept his favored pets on a tighter leash." The way he intones "sheikh" suggests very little respect for the present man in the office.[/SECTION]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Amina dutifully found a length of rope and with clever hands tied it around the man's wrists in a nautical sort of knot that tightened when struggled with. It had been awhile since she had tried such a thing, but since she was standing right there, ready to put him back down if he got up, she wasn't overly worried about it.

[roll0] Sleight of Hand. (Hope I don't regret not taking 10! :))

Thateous

Explorer
Akilah ignores the blatant disrespect towards her father and just continues with her questions. "Well you wanted our attention and now you have it. So speak!"

Shayuri

First Post
Amina clears her throat. "Vizier...he did not want our attention. He was well hidden, watching us. I believe his intent was to notify the others of our movements, so they could ambush us and take the book."

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION] "The spellbook?" sneers the thin man, his lip curling up along with the spotty hair of his poorly groomed goatee. Now that his vision is back in focus, he watches Amina closely, recognizing her voice as the one who'd turned the tables and ambushed him. "You don't know what it contains, do you? It's not the spells...as I hear it, they're paltry magic...it's the map."

Nodding his head toward Amina, he offers begrudging praise, "You got the drop of Derafsh. My name is Derafsh. Never thought an acolyte would bring me down. Now, I'll tell you what you wish to know...all about my family and our oath against the Sheikh...but if you wish to find the rest at Rawun's Well, it must be just you and I. Otherwise, they will never let you get close. Well, perhaps you. But if I come with just one of you, then we'll be permitted to pass. This is the best way, I assure you." He stares intently at Amina with a smug smile.[/SECTION]

[SBLOCK=Amina / Ankabut]His eyes seem to momentarily glimmer with amber ethereal light. Make a DC 12 Wisdom save vs. charm person.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Amina's eyes narrow behind her veil, and she cuffs him across the back of his head.

"Try that again, and I will not be as gentle with you as I was when I first brought you down."

She looks at Akilah and adds, "With your permission, honored one. He was using magic against me."

Without casting a spell, no less. What is this, I wonder? Human?

Amina saves! [roll0]

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Amina's swift blow across the back of Derafsh's head elicits a wincing groan from the man. However, something doesn't feel right about how her hand made contact, almost like she was striking... a mouth at the base of his skull! Sure enough, the strength of the reprimanding blow having knocked aside the man's keffiyeh (head scarf), a bizarre toothy second mouth is visible at the man's occiput amidst matted black hair. It moves in parody of his own lips, albeit no sound issues forth.

"Your gentleness," he winces, "is not in dispute. You would make an excellent wife for my brother." A trembling laugh leaves his voice, seeming to occupy two pitches at once. Heaving a resigned breath, the man slumps down, apparently having no more tricks up his sleeve...at least for now. "My family once served the sultan -- whose name is forbidden to speak -- but in his final hours the gray-bearded coward abandoned us to our fate. And so we've made our own way in a city that despises us for our past service. Only my brother Nimar al-Solak holds onto the hope that the sultan will one day restore us to our former graces, but it is a fool's hope. We are alone. And neither sheikh nor sultan will give us succor."[/SECTION]

GM: Anyone familiar with Tajar, such as Akilah and Najiyah, know the sultan's name was Nazir al-Azrad. He was deposed through the efforts of Sheikh Ali and Sheikh Ali's father. A DC 15 Intelligence (History) check can recall more details...

Get a total of 20+, and you can choose one (or two with 25+):
  • Details of what happened to Nazir al-Azrad after he was deposed.
  • Details of the current succession issue around the Sheikh's foolish son and possible descendents of Nazir al-Azrad.
  • Details on the secret police that Nazir al-Azrad created, of which Derafsh appears to have been one.

Get a total of 10 or less, and you must choose one (or two with 5 or less):
  • You or your forebears crossed Nazir al-Azrad's path, and he seeks revenge against you.
  • One of your spells/magic items/trinkets (choose one) was taken from Nazir al-Azrad's looted palace, and he can use it as a spell focus (e.g. for scrying).
  • You know three rumors about Nazir al-Azrad, only one of which is true.

GM: Anyone can attempt to identify just what kind of creature Derafsh is with a DC 15 Intelligence (Nature) check.

Get a total of 20+ and you can choose one (or two with 25+):
  • Weaknesses of the creature type.
  • Innate magical abilities of the creature type.
  • A brief tale explaining the creature's habitat/society.

Get a total of 10 or less, and you must choose one (or two with 5 or less):
  • These creatures robbed you recently, though you just now make the connection about the nature of who robbed you. Deduct 250 gp from your personal wealth.
  • These creatures - in particular those in Tajar - have blackmail material on you, and have been using it to leverage you to cover their tracks.
  • You know three rumors about this type of creature, only one of which is true.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases