D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Quickleaf

Legend
Lal's eyebrow shot up.

" "Make listen"? An interesting choice of words. When someone speaks of "making" someone listen, they never mean merely listening. They mean forcing someone to *agree*... It is interesting that this ... linguistics error... is present in most languages, and both among mortals and djinns, is it not? "

The Al-Aeshma passes his blazing eyes over Lal Qalandar stoically, the faintest squint of irritation at the edges of his eyes, but remains silent.

GM: For convenience, here is the post where the Al-Aeshma made its original offer – choice of a secret for freeing one of its kin: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...Flame/page65&p=7300385&viewfull=1#post7300385

Salahuddin glances towards Lal. The man just confirmed many of Salahuddin's impressions. Salahuddin thinks to the small puzzle box he had not yet completed. It's use would make an enemy out of this Al-Aeshma but it would be an effective cudgel to get to the truth. But it was not complete so would not help in these negotiations.

"You speak as someone who will refuse to listen themselves. Your punishment was the Grand Caliphs attempt to make you listen. How did that go over with the Al-Aeshma?" Salahuddin smiles to take the bite from the words. "Making others see your side is not effective. I do not expect the Al-Aeshma to submit. But the Great Caliph will want you to be bound by the wishbond. What will you do when you come to this impasse? For your current banishment is the result of the last time this impasse was met."

Salahuddin pauses for a brief second before continuing.

"I see many risks for myself in this bargain. What can you say that will alleviate these fears?"

Quickleaf

Legend
Salahuddin glances towards Lal. The man just confirmed many of Salahuddin's impressions. Salahuddin thinks to the small puzzle box he had not yet completed. It's use would make an enemy out of this Al-Aeshma but it would be an effective cudgel to get to the truth. But it was not complete so would not help in these negotiations.

"You speak as someone who will refuse to listen themselves. Your punishment was the Grand Caliphs attempt to make you listen. How did that go over with the Al-Aeshma?" Salahuddin smiles to take the bite from the words. "Making others see your side is not effective. I do not expect the Al-Aeshma to submit. But the Great Caliph will want you to be bound by the wishbond. What will you do when you come to this impasse? For your current banishment is the result of the last time this impasse was met."

Salahuddin pauses for a brief second before continuing.

"I see many risks for myself in this bargain. What can you say that will alleviate these fears?"

For a moment the Al-Aeshma's form wavers, as if he might vanish into a cloud of sand borne on the evening winds. He maintains solidity through force of will, a scowl descending over his face as he hangs on Salahuddin's words. "You do not realize the gift you've been given, O Wind Called, the power. I have known many sha'irs in my time; some overreach for what is beyond their grasp, while some take the knee before the rulers of genie-kind. I thought you might be one who walks the fine breath between these." His eyes blaze with intensity, as if looking at the sun's diffuse light through a sandstorm.

"You worry of the Great Caliph, binding yourself to him like a fawning servant. And in the same breath, you seek to mettle in affairs of the wishbond far older than you. Can you not leave what affairs belong to the djinn with the djinn, trusting the affairs of genie-kind to genies? Can you not see that you are the wolf, and not the sheep, seeking your own fortune in the world of men?" There is a fierceness in the Al-Aeshma's voice, but a plaintive undercurrent as well, as if he still hopes for Salahuddin to accept his offer.

"Our risks are matched, are they not? I must trust you will honor your word to release my kin, as you must trust mine to deliver reliable secrets," even as the words leave his mouth, the Al-Aeshma casts a sardonic glance toward Akilah as if to imply her magic circumvented the risk of trusting his word, as if to imply the Al-Aeshma is actually the one taking the greater risk.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal Qalandar withstood the glare of the Djinn placidly. His feet were planted in the ground and he could feel the earth beneath, and the stars wheeling above. He was not afraid.

"A strange reply - if you wish us to leave the affairs of Djinns to Djinns... then we should not interfere. At all"
"... but on the other hand, perhaps we should have faith in the Grand Caliph's ability to deal with ... developments"

In a lower tone, he added to Salahudin: "It would be peculiar for the Caliph to grant mortals the power to free these renegade Djinns, yet condemn us for using said power... but I still feel unquiet. Our need is great, but not world shaking. These affairs are foreign to me. I cannot advise if the cost is proportional. But back home we say one does not hire a dragon to light a torch"

Quickleaf

Legend
The looming Al-Aeshma attempts to remain silent at Lal Qalandar's musing, the shadows of evening clouds playing across his pale violet face, but the fallen djinn's pride compels him to speak. "Wanderer," he intones deeply, the restrained vitriol plain in his voice, "surely you have seen much, and thus possess wisdom. And with this great store of wisdom that you've gathered like a palm leaf gathers rain, surely you see a difference between righting an injustice and interfering beyond your reach? All I ask is a chance for my brethren to argue our case before the Great Caliph of Djinn. And, in your wisdom, you must also recognize the value of the secrets I can share..."

Rising up once more, winds causing your pack camels to press their heads against one another and your tents to flap vigorously, the Al-Aeshma addresses Salahuddin and your party with the tone of one for whom the taste of words has grown dry in his mouth. "O Wind Called, render unto me your judgment and answer! Are we to have your pardon and a chance to bend the Great Caliph's ear? Or do you condemn us all over again by taking no action? Will you receive my secrets or will you not?"

OOC: Work has been busy the past couple days. I'll get a post up tonight. On a separate note I have no idea how my character will answer and I both love and hate the fact that you gave me this dilemma.

Salahuddin looks at the Al-Aeshma he had made his decision. It might be the wrong choice but the secrets the Al-Aeshma dangled in front of him were to important to let slip past. He bows his head when the Al-Aeshma asked for his judgment.

"Yes you have made your case and I will make my judgment." Salahuddin pauses for dramatic affect. "I will pardon a pair of your brethren. They will be allowed to return to the winds of creation and plead your case before the Lords of Air. Is this acceptable?"

Salahuddin waits patiently for the Al-Aeshma's reply.

Quickleaf

Legend
Salahuddin looks at the Al-Aeshma he had made his decision. It might be the wrong choice but the secrets the Al-Aeshma dangled in front of him were to important to let slip past. He bows his head when the Al-Aeshma asked for his judgment.

"Yes you have made your case and I will make my judgment." Salahuddin pauses for dramatic affect. "I will pardon a pair of your brethren. They will be allowed to return to the winds of creation and plead your case before the Lords of Air. Is this acceptable?"

Salahuddin waits patiently for the Al-Aeshma's reply.

There is a sudden stillness in the night air, and even Amina and Harun who are apart from the rest of the party can feel a shiver run down their necks as the temperature drops slightly. The cool of night comes swiftly in the desert, it is true, but this supernatural chill goes down to the bone. Even the smaller dustdevils that Amina kept an eye on seem to spin slower, as if placated somehow by the negotiations between sha'ir and Al-Aeshma.

"It is acceptable indeed, O Wind Called," responds the Al-Aeshma, his voice still a rumbling stormfront, the only sign of his satisfaction in the outcome of the negotiation a clearer more intense light in his eyes. "The ones you shall pardon are named Ashtigal and Yehiena... Tell me, which of my secrets do you wish to know first? I have heard many secret truths carried across the Badu al-Kabir..."

"I know the fate of Sheikh Ja’afar-al-Din al-Shakari, his banners broken and his faith betrayed by red robes..."

He speaks of Sheikh Ja'afar-al-Din al-Shakari, the sheikh of the Shakari jann tribe, anti-urbanists to which the jann Usqual belonged. According to Usqual, the Shakari were defeated in battle against the Khalduni jann and their sheikh was supposedly taken captive.

"I have witnessed the hazards of the desert from the Badu al-Kabir to Rukh Mountain and the Valley of Mists..."

The Badu al-Kabir is the current desert region you're exploring, a forlorn and inhospitable desert viewed with superstition by desert tribes. However, Rukh Mountain and the Valley of Mists are unknown to you.

"I know of the winged death, who the jann call Zu'l Janah, and where it dwells..."

The "water bearer" at Hakim oasis made fleeting references about Zu'l Janah being a flying monster the Khalduni jann fear.

"I remember when the Awamîd al-sharîr, the Pillars of Wickedness, were erected, and how one may circumvent them to reach Khaldun..."

The Awamîd al-sharîr, the Pillars of Wickedness, were mentioned by Usqual as surrounding Khaldun oasis with "wicked" magic.

"And I know the three secrets of the red robes that lie within the Badu al-Kabir, hidden from mortal minds..."

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Amina paused and crouched lower still in the puddle of shadow that concealed her. There would be a reckoning for this choice, she felt, and it would fall on all of them, if perhaps heaviest on Salahuddin. Later she would ask the Vizier about this, but for now she waited and listened. The red robes featured heavily in his offers, and she sensed that the answers might serve far more purpose than simply satisfying curiosity...if he chose as she hoped he would.

OOC: So I'm pretty sure I just made a really stupid decision but my PC can't pass up the chance to learn some of these secrets.

"The first secret I wish to learn is the three secrets of the red robes that lie within the Badu al-Kabir, hidden from mortal minds..."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases