DDAL AL starting gold

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
Can you take 5 gold pieces you start out with and buy a holy symbol? My background gives me 15 starting gold and is a divine soul sorcerer. I was wondering since I can get cleric spells.

I don't know about adventurers league currency, but RAW a divine soul sorcerer does not gain the ability to use a holy symbol as a spellcasting focus.

I suspect most home DMs would allow it, but AL DMs don't have the same freedom to wave rules.

If a spell specifically lists a "holy symbol" as a material component, then you need an actual holy symbol to cast it. You can only use a spellcasting focus/component pouch in place of the listed material components if they don't have a cost, and a holy symbol costs money.

Now, you could argue that a focus can be used as long as the component doesn't have a cost listed in the spell description itself, and many DMs would probably accept that. But since you're playing AL you'll never know how the current DM will rule, so you'll want all your rules interpretations to be watertight.

Davo3

Explorer
You seem to be missing these parts:

Divine Magic
Your link to the divine allows you to learn spells from the cleric class. When your Spellcasting feature lets you learn or replace a sorcerer cantrip or a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose the new spell from the cleric spell list or the sorcerer spell list. You must otherwise obey all the restrictions for selecting the spell, and it becomes a sorcerer spell for you.

In addition, choose an affinity for the source of your divine power: good, evil, law, chaos, or neutrality. You learn an additional spell based on that affinity, as shown below. It is a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn’t count against your number of sorcerer spells known. If you later replace this spell, you must replace it with a spell from the cleric spell list.

And:

Spellcasting Focus
You can use an arcane focus (see the Adventuring Gear section) as a spellcasting focus for your sorcerer spells.

From Sorcerer

Remove ads