D&D 5E ALL BEAST MASTERS HELP ME

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
From a DM's point of view, I agree with you, but I think when you're talking about an animal companion for a PC, it's a bit different.
Yeah, there's the D&D Effect. The rules, the book tone, and the corporate producers of the game expect us to play a certain way. #RejectPlanescape

A hit-and-run style doesn't really work here either; the spider doesn't have any way to gracefully exit melee or ranged combat options, so if ambush tactics are off the table, frontlining's really the only option.
Sounds like a foregone conclusion. But it's not my spider, and I really wouldn't want to sit in a giant web with my spider while we waited for prey to stumble by. That's pretty gross! (although I read wolf spiders aren't web-slingers)

Asisreo

Patron Badass
From a DM's point of view, I agree with you, but I think when you're talking about an animal companion for a PC, it's a bit different. Running ambushes is a pretty heavy playstyle investment for the whole party, and while that can work for some groups and campaigns, a lot of the time, you just don't have that luxury—villains act, heroes react, etc. A hit-and-run style doesn't really work here either; the spider doesn't have any way to gracefully exit melee or ranged combat options, so if ambush tactics are off the table, frontlining's really the only option.
Unfortunately, it can't be helped. When a statblock has to be used both as a enemy type and player option, there's going to be design spaces that aren't typical.

But that means that OP should understand to play into having a spider, not just a companion. The spider has exceptional stealth at a +9, meaning they're better than even a rogue. There's plenty of OOC uses for this, like stealing and stalking someone. It can also be useful to stealthily dismantle a group of weak enemies one-by-one, especially since it doesn't kill and an intruding wolf spider isn't necessarily a reason to suspect an invasion beyond a single pest if its spotted.

But if you're engaging in direct combat, you might want to avoid it getting into combat.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This isn't really help for your question, but it could help "in general" and thus help your companion.

Are you using the beastmaster from the PHB, or from Tasha's?

Lastly, it ... kinda sucks, but every hit your brave mount takes is a hit that you or your fellow PCs didn't have to take...

jgsugden

Legend
A few thoughts:

1.) It is pretty well agreed that the PHB Beast Master is under powered. Talk with the DM to ask if some accomodations can be made to keep the class fun. Don't expect a certain answer - but it is worth asking.

2.) Consider that the subclass may not be necessary for your character concept. You may be better off playing a different type of ranger and just befriending a giant wolf spider. Just to throw the idea out there: One of my players wanted to play a Beast Master but was troubled by the design. We threw around a few ideas and he settled on playing an Order of the Ancients Paladin that started the game with a scroll of Find Steed. Through spell selection and taking the Druid Magic Initiate feat at level 1 (Variant Human), the PC felt like a Ranger at the core, but was mechanically a paladin.

Remove ads