• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

All non-essential functions disabled

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have cut down the forums to their bare bones. No avatars, no calendar, no birthday announcements, no searches, no member lists etc.

Hopefully this will make them run a bit better. If it works, I will start introducing the features again gradually, one at a time. Some of the features are more intensive than others, and right now I'm not sure which ones are slowing the server down and which are not having any real effect on it. So they're all off until further notice.

Indeed. Every time the page has to check with the database the more power it need. Consider disabling ratings as well.

If there are things you know, you won't turn back on for quite some time, I would also recommend editing them out of the templates as it uses power too just to check if they are on or not.

For instance the little symbol telling you whether a user is online or not in each of their posts is hardly necessary unless you plan to send private messages to them.

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
I understand the situation

Morrus:

I hope your actions help out. The board have been unusually sluggish, and I have had to try to repeatedly post my responses. (In the case of the IR thread, it seemed very sluggish yesterday. I kept on having the connection to the thread fail and had to try for a long time to get my post up.)

Also, on the IR thread topic, I asked Edena of Neith to talk to you and some of the other moderators. It seems that he is having his own technical problems.

Overall, I think the boards are going well. Since I have an IT background, I understand more than most the headaches of keeping everything running. Keep up the good work and thanks for the efforts to keep everything going smoothly.

William

Galfridus

First Post
Thanks for taking this step, Morrus. To be honest, I'd rather have a bare-bones board -- even if there's enough processing power at a given point for more features, eventually the board will grow to the point where it's a problem.

FYI -- at about 3:40 PM EST I got a "server too busy" message when trying to connect.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The one feature I'd like to have immediately back is the jump-to menu at the lower left. I can't function without it! :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Galfridus said:

FYI -- at about 3:40 PM EST I got a "server too busy" message when trying to connect.

For the moment, I've told it to only allow 200 people at once to use the boards. That will be the first thing I switch back to normal, before any of the features.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Piratecat said:
The one feature I'd like to have immediately back is the jump-to menu at the lower left. I can't function without it! :)

According to the Control Panel, that's one of the mor eintensive functions. i don't see why, myself. *shrug*

We'll make sure it's early in the list for gradual reintroduction.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I can live with out any of those features if it means I can get on the boards easily! Limiting to 200 people might be a bit tough, but I don't know what the typical traffic patterns are.

What I do know is that noon is the busiest time; I noticed this way back when I first started my Story Hour last August. If I posted an update by 10am, I frequently had responses by 1pm. If I posted at 2pm, I didn't see a response till the next day.

Anything that keeps the board running smoothly during those 3-4 hours is a good thing.

graydoom

First Post
I can live without these features,,, but there are some I really want back :(.
Once you feel ready to start re-implementing features, please re-implement the drop-down list of forums in the low left that lets you jump to any forum you want, and please re-implement Who's Online. I have found it extremely useful to see if the other participant in Fight Club threads is still online.

Remove ads