Allow Cannibalism vs. Heavy-handed GMing

Filcher

First Post
The eldest is providing an example for the others. It is his responsibility to be a good example. If the player starts using his PC to antagonize the other players (who are probably too young to emotionally separate player and PC), he needs a kind, but firm discussion alone.

If he chooses not to pull it together, there is the in game option of the GM hammer ("Ooh, the ogre hits you again") and finally, a kind, but firm boot from the game.

Also, I would posit that it is worth having a different "GM philosophy" for adults and one for kids. You've stepped into added responsibility and need to adjust your style accordingly, rather than let kids stab each other with sharp (emotional) sticks, ruining the experience of RPGs altogether.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Let 'em fight it out. And then, when the last bloody combatant is standing, have some bad guys (that they could easily handle as a group) come in and finish him/her off.

Rinse & repeat.

Sooner or later, they will realize that they need each other to survive.

RC

Ahnehnois

First Post
If a particular course of action is "wrong" (be it cannibalism or something more benign), there are reasons why. I would suggest a game as a very good place to let children explore the consequences of their actions. I think children can handle more than most people give them credit for.

It certainly is important to make sure the parents know what's going on however.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Let 'em fight it out. And then, when the last bloody combatant is standing, have some bad guys (that they could easily handle as a group) come in and finish him/her off.

Rinse & repeat.

Sooner or later, they will realize that they need each other to survive.

I don't know if that'll do the trick with kids. Repetition is a good teacher, but only on a willing (or captive) student.

It only gets the right message across if the winner of the internal fight is the instigator. The losers of the fight still lose. That it turns out a Pyrrhic victory may not matter to them.

It only works if they stick around after having gotten plastered by bad guys. When they don't get their way, kids may call the game generally stupid and walk off. Especially if they are taking it personally.

Aplus

First Post
Thanks guys, lots of good input. I guess the thing I struggle with the most in all of this is being faced with a situation where I feel like I should be saying "No, you can't cast sleep on your brother's character and take all his stuff". Playing with other adults, I would never be faced with this situation in the first place, and even if I were, I would be confident that the victim PC could at least plot a proper revenge and all would be right in the end.

GMing for kids is WAY harder than doing it for adults.

On a side note, I did run TOON for them a few months back, and didn't have any of these problems. There was so much other cool stuff for them to be doing, and there was no expectation of cooperation, that there was little inter-PC conflict. And when there was, it was resolved quickly by a PC being knocked out and coming back a few moments later.

I'll definitely be packing TOON with me for next time. It's much better suited for their chaotic nature.

Almacov

First Post
I'd probably allow the cannibalism, but have them roll for kuru.

Seriously though, it can be tricky to weigh the pros and cons, and it is sortof an individual thing.
With older players I'd just make sure to follow through with a full chain of consequence, but with children there are other considerations.

coyote6

Adventurer

I would have the bad guys interrupt the actual fight, while all the PCs are alive. After all, they'd be making a racket, drawing the attention of the dreaded Wandering Monsters. Then the players would get a choice -- stop fighting amongst themselves and fight the monster, or keep fighting each other and die.

Remove ads