D&D 5E Alternate Initiative Rules

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The HD thing the other DM brought up. It would make fighter types (and monsters) more aggressive in battle by default. Which makes sense, but I would need to see it in play. And yes to the haste and ki points and (and slow!) modifying rolls. Advantage/Disadvantage? Or remove from dice pool? The dice pool will generally be small.

As for Dex, it could even be removed, and relegated to AC and Dex saves where it's already so prevalent. But averaging it in also diminishes the importance greatly.
I guess it just all depends on how you think of initiative. Why would an intelligent wizard (with only a d6 HD) casting a cantrip (generally thought of as "quicker" spell IME) be more likely to go after a quick barbarian (d12 HD) wielding a greatsword? With twice the HD size the barbarian would most often get to act first.

So only you can answer if you like that set-up or not. I wouldn't, personally, but it's your table. :)

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I recently learned of initiative system used in Shadow of the Demon Lord (I think mentioned above as well). I hate rolling initiative, so it's an interesting take for me. It would probably need some work to adapt to 5E, though, as that system gives the option for using two actions (I haven't actually read the system as a whole, so not sure what all is considered an action in that system). Probably easiest thing to do would be to say that characters taking fast turns can either just move or just take an action, and slow turns can do all the things. I'd consider adding a few action options like charging or maybe being scary to frighten people for some extra flexibility in those fast turns.

Nebulous

Legend
I guess it just all depends on how you think of initiative. Why would an intelligent wizard (with only a d6 HD) casting a cantrip (generally thought of as "quicker" spell IME) be more likely to go after a quick barbarian (d12 HD) wielding a greatsword? With twice the HD size the barbarian would most often get to act first.

So only you can answer if you like that set-up or not. I wouldn't, personally, but it's your table. :)

Well, to counterpoint, the current default Initiative doesn't take heavy greatswords or quick cantrips into consideration either, it's just straight up DEX. Ideally i would like weapon speeds and segment casting but it's too much math

Nebulous

Legend
Well, to counterpoint, the current default Initiative doesn't take heavy greatswords or quick cantrips into consideration either, it's just straight up DEX. Ideally i would like weapon speeds and segment casting but it's too much math

Another problem with this, no matter which system, is that monsters need a little formula done too, and that will slow stuff down as it not a simple d20 add Dex.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, how about this: your attack type determines what die type you roll?

A heavy or two-handed weapon (slower generally) might get a d4 or d6
A light or finesse weapon might get a d10 or d12
All other weapons/attacks would be a d8?

Spells could be by casting action if you wanted or by spell level.

This way you aren't doing any more math, but you would have to track action type. Might be too much, maybe not?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Now, an interesting idea about using HD type and larger sized creatures is their size sort of brings "reach" into the equation. A "huge giant" would roll d12s and the chance of going first, despite being generally slow, could be their reach advantage.

Nebulous

Legend

This way you aren't doing any more math, but you would have to track action type. Might be too much, maybe not?

That could work. That's getting borderline too much, but the math would replicate the right stuff. Again, taking my newbie players into consideration (they're still getting grips on the rules) making it too complex will make their heads spin, lol

Horwath

Legend

that means rolling initiative EVERY.SINGLE.ROUND. That is a huge time sink and too much micromanagement.

Remove ads