• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternatives to 5E (I ask for no particular reason...)

CapnZapp

Legend
What? I'm reading reviews and no one remotely mentions 4e as a source of inspiration. It's basically B/X race-as-class with a modified d20 OGL and weird random naughty word happening all the time.
I find the 4E mention completely unfortunate, but the rest of the post remains true. It actually "is" a reimagining of old school D&D rather than some kind of faithful clone.

CapnZapp

Legend
I gave it a quick look at the gaming store a few years back. It felt like an OSR game. Elf as a class is very B/X. It's the reason we switched to AD&D.

I'll give DCC a deeper scan the next time I visit the place.
Please do! :)

By the way, the true GENIUS of the module I mentioned, Death-Slaves of Eternity, isn't actually the adventure itself - it is merely very evocative and cool.

No, it it how it suggests the demi-human classes are reskinned into the classes Cultist, Soldier and Pirate.

Not only is this perfect for a humanocentric S&S world, it is GOLD for anyone that understandably thinks race-equals-class is a wonky concept! :)

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
DCC also has a ton of GG support and 3rd party support. Not to mention it’s broadly compatible with their Mutant Crawl Classics and Lankmar stuff.

I’d you want to run a quick zero level funnel this comes in handy.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I was looking for resources to hexcrawl campaigns and was guided to the OSR game Worlds Without Number. There is a free version available to download on DrivethruRPG. It definitely has tools to help build out a hexcrawl sandbox campaign for any system, which I have started using for my 5E game.

Reading through it I have been really attracted to how the setting doesn’t shy from an unbelievably-far-in-the-future vibe that is filled with lost technology that might as well be magic like in Vance’s Dying Earth, or Book of the New Sun. Imagines a standard fantasy, but as if it’s thousands of years after a transhumanist post-apocalypse. And OSR, so plugging in old BECMI monsters and adventures slot right in.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
DCC also has a ton of GG support and 3rd party support. Not to mention it’s broadly compatible with their Mutant Crawl Classics and Lankmar stuff.

I’d you want to run a quick zero level funnel this comes in handy.

That generator even supports the specific adventure I'm talking about :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
DCC is nothing like 4E in the mechanical sense.

(For people like me 4th edition was a rotten apple and I need to make sure nobody gives up on DCC because it's compared to 4E. If you like 4E you should definitely check out DCC though I must confess I haven't the slightest clue why)
Mod Note:

Even though “edition warring” isn’t really a thing anymore, did you HAVE to stir the pot? Be better going forward, please.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
You had me at hello :p most of the covers look like they should be painted on the side of a van!

van.JPG

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I gave it a quick look at the gaming store a few years back. It felt like an OSR game. Elf as a class is very B/X. It's the reason we switched to AD&D.

I'll give DCC a deeper scan the next time I visit the place.
That is a particularly B/X move, and there are other exhies: however, a lot of the Sacred Cows that 4E slaughtered stay dead in DCC, such as Vancian casting which is entirely gone (spells are skill rolls that can be dangerous, meaning a Gandalf type is wise enough to avoid spellcasring if at all possible). The XP system is remarkably different from any used in D&D: sort of like milestones, but the milestone is every encounter giving 1-4 XP (by DM fiat of how cool the encounter went), the encounter possibly being a conversation with an NPC, trap or a puzzle.

The "die chain" core mwchanic is also really innovative: sort of like Advantage/Disadvantage on steroids.

Remove ads