Alternatives to 5E (I ask for no particular reason...)

Mezuka

Hero
Some great suggestions here, DCC is intriguing, Shadow of Demon Lord as well. I've never tried the DW etc but heard lots about them.

This sounds really cool for occasional one shots with a non D&D vibe Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20

Noticed nobody mentioned any Monte Cook stuff?
DCC is a retro-clone of old school D&D. SotDL is like a distillation of the d20 OGL fused with a distillation of Warhammer Fantasy. Depends what you are looking for.

Mezuka

Hero
Not really, it's actually a complete rebuild of the concept from the ground up: more an alternate take on how to play stories like old pulp Sword & Sorcery rather than replicate the idiosyncrasies of OD&D. More of an alternate 4E.
What? I'm reading reviews and no one remotely mentions 4e as a source of inspiration. It's basically B/X race-as-class with a modified d20 OGL and weird random naughty word happening all the time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What? I'm reading reviews and no one remotely mentions 4e as a source of inspiration. It's basically B/X race-as-class with a modified d20 OGL and weird random naughty word happening all the time.
No, it's a reaction to 4E: how Goodman decided he would do a radical rethinking RPGs, after frustrations with trying to be a 3rd party 4E publisher. The game is no more B/X than it is 4E, however, nor is it 1E. It is as radical a retool of 3E as 4E is, just with a different design goal. It stands out because it is not a retroclone, but rather a fresh rules approach to old fictional space.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
DCC is my TTRPG of choice, by a mile. It scratches every itch I have.

Of course, I have 30-ish years of experience playing TTRPGs, so it's easy for me to gloss over and alter little bits I want to tweak, and to fill in the blanks where necessary. One size does not necessarily fit all here.

Mezuka

Hero
No, it's a reaction to 4E: how Goodman decided he would do a radical rethinking RPGs, after frustrations with trying to be a 3rd party 4E publisher. The game is no more B/X than it is 4E, however, nor is it 1E. It is as radical a retool of 3E as 4E is, just with a different design goal. It stands out because it is not a retroclone, but rather a fresh rules approach to old fictional space.
I gave it a quick look at the gaming store a few years back. It felt like an OSR game. Elf as a class is very B/X. It's the reason we switched to AD&D.

I'll give DCC a deeper scan the next time I visit the place.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I gave it a quick look at the gaming store a few years back. It felt like an OSR game. Elf as a class is very B/X. It's the reason we switched to AD&D.

I'll give DCC a deeper scan the next time I visit the place.
I broadly concur with Parmandur. I would say it's still at its core a D&D variant; it is built off the 3E OGL chassis. But with new funky dice (to recapture the feeling of polyhedrons being "weird" and to offer more math tweaks with fewer modifiers), race as class (and each class has pretty strong niche elements), the elaborate spell system with failure and all those charts with variable effects, and some other interesting sub-systems (like Luck) meant to make it emulate Weird fiction and pulp adventure stories better than D&D wound up doing.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I too vote for DCC, Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Its level 0 starting adventure Death-Slaves of Eternity is excellent for starting a badass sword and sorcery campaign!

(I know Leiber counted the term and all of Appendix N technically counts, but I'm talking "core" Conan-style Sword & Sorcery now. Call it the Barbarians & Princesses subgenre if you will)

Edit: while I'm sure my autocorrect would love for Fritz Leiber to be Count von Count in disguise I must clarify I meant "coined".

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Not really, it's actually a complete rebuild of the concept from the ground up: more an alternate take on how to play stories like old pulp Sword & Sorcery rather than replicate the idiosyncrasies of OD&D. More of an alternate 4E.
DCC is nothing like 4E in the mechanical sense.

(For people like me 4th edition was a rotten apple and I need to make sure nobody gives up on DCC because it's compared to 4E. If you like 4E you should definitely check out DCC though I must confess I haven't the slightest clue why)

Remove ads