• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternatives to At-Will Magic

molepunch

First Post
Maybe make it take longer and longer to unleash that spell due to I dunno arcane fatigue.

First MM: as is
2nd MM: takes an action to prepare it, cast on following action
3rd MM: takes 2 actions now

The "counter" only resets after a short rest?

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I don't much care for at-will combat spells. If the wizard can cast magic missile every round, combat suddenly feels more like an old-west gunfight to me than something medieval.

Deciding how many spells to give rather than at-will is the easy part. The hard part is what to do about the problem they solve, that being finding something for the low-level wizard to do when he isn't casting one of his few spells.

My preferred solution is to make the wizard approximately as good as the cleric at combat at low level, then quickly fall behind as he gains enough spells to keep him busy.

Dark Mistress

First Post
3* + [caster level / 3] + ability mod? (Rounded down.)

That's what I've been using for 3.5 (I use a lot of little house rules; the kinds of things that won't break anything :)), so it should work for Pathfinder too.

[edit] * 5 for Sorcerers. [/edit]

Hmm that might be a good way to handle it. Will bring it up to the group when we play next.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Deciding how many spells to give rather than at-will is the easy part. The hard part is what to do about the problem they solve, that being finding something for the low-level wizard to do when he isn't casting one of his few spells.
I agree...the biggest problem with the wizard is keeping him busy. In combat, he has a limited number of attacks. Outside of combat, he is useful only in special circumstances.

How "busy" a wizard should be in battle is a matter of personal taste. Personally, I have no problem with the wizard buying and using a crossbow, or throwing daggers, or javelins, or whatever ranged weapon best fits the campaign. If Farmer Bill can use a crossbow, why can't the Great And Powerful Oz?

Some people really balk at that idea though. "Wizards shouldn't have to rely on mundane attacks; they are magical!" (But the fighter has to rely on magic flaming swords and pseudo-magical healing abilities. How is that different?)

Ah well. People are funny sometimes.

To answer your question, I will just continue to allow spellcasters to use ranged weapons. It's never been a problem for us.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Side tangent: how many of you complained about Pathfinder giving away unlimited cantrips/orisons?

I don't know how many people over here complain about it, but quite a few have complained about it (as well as supported it) over on the Paizo boards. And I think Janaxstrus makes a good point. Certain magic effects are more tolerable as unlimited cantrips than others.

I run a PF game and we really like cantrips like detect magic, stabilize, light, mage hand, read magic, and prestidigitation being unlimited. The real trouble comes when looking at attack or damaging spells. Acid splash lets a wizard player eat though virtually anything if they have the stupid patience to hit it enough times for 1d3 acid damage. Those sorts of spells are a lot more controversial and I can see why. At least, however, they require an attack roll to hit or have a low base save DC and do paltry damage. Any unlimited magic in Next, I think, needs to include some similar limitations.

Wyckedemus

Explorer
At-will have a place, but Magic Missile shouldn't be one of them.

I like at-will attacks, but I do not like an auto-hit at-will magic missile. Magic Missile should be returned to its former glory.

My proposed solution is to make Magic Missile a Level 1 spell that lets you auto hit with 3 missiles that deal 1d4+1 each.

The missiles can be targeted individually, so you can spread them out or assign them all to 1 target. Then if you prepare it as a higher level spell, you get more missiles. Would you cast a 2nd level spell to auto-hit 4d4+4 damage on one target? Or 5d4+5 damage on one target?

While Burning Hands might do more damage in its cone to more enemies, Magic Missile would be longer range and could target enemies who are further apart from each other. It would be a very flexible attack spell.

A replacement cantrip would be created in its place that does not Auto-Hit. It might require an attack roll at 100 feet range for 1d6 force damage. Perhaps Arcane Bolt?

Or if the designers wanted to go the route of utility cantrips that can be used to damage foes, they could make Mage Hand do a 1d6 damage (maybe even force damage) with a slap.

An Ignite cantrip can heat things, set things on fire, and turn up the heat to burn your opponent.

Ray of Frost can variably chill or freeze things, or crank down the temperature to reduce a creature's speed to 10 feet. (I don't like the immobilized condition being delivered by a cantrip. I would prefer a level 1 spell that did damage and immobilized.)

Stuff like that!

mlund

First Post
I'm definitely on board with removing magic missile from the cantrip line-up and broadening the base to have basic conjugation of evocation effects that would be useful in the lab - heat, shock, chill, corrode, illuminate, dim, mage hand, Etc.

- Marty Lund

BobTheNob

First Post
My proposed solution is to make Magic Missile a Level 1 spell that lets you auto hit with 3 missiles that deal 1d4+1 each.
Thas was my exact same thought with MM. Not a huge amount of damage, but fair with auto hit at a huge range and you can split it. Truely worthy of being a first level spell.

FireLance

Legend
I wonder if a limitation of "only one magic thing per round" might work. So, if a wizard wants to attack with magic missile, he'd better bring along a torch. Or, if his torch goes out and he's forced to use light, he'll have to resort to mundane weapons.

Another possible limitation that has been discussed before (at least with respect to at-will magic attacks) is to require the wizard to have a special implement such as a wand or a staff to cast at-will attack spells. So, a staff of shocking grasp might cost 50 gp, like a greatsword, and a wand of magic missiles could cost 75 gp, like a longbow.

MarkB

Legend
Personally, it's not the at-will-ness of Magic Missile that gets to me, but the monotony.

I'd add one or two more utility-style combat cantrips along the lines of Ray of Frost, and then I'd give each one a 'cool-down' of, say, 3 or 4 rounds before it can be used again - so the wizard can cast MM one round, but must spend the next couple of rounds using other cantrips before he goes back to MM.

Casting any non-cantrip spell would reset all cool-downs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads