Pathfinder 1E Alternatives to Merfolk

A

amerigoV

I suggest ... Merfolk

Just because the PCs became friends with a few merfolk does not mean they became friends with ALL merfolk. There are always factions that hate outsiders no matter what. To give an example, just because a few orcs might have saved a some townfolks from an Ogre does not mean the whole town will suddenly be warm and fuzzy with the orcs.

This might be a fun way to highlight the factions in the merfolk society - a bit of intrigue and chaos would be even more interesting obstacles to getting the objects for some players then just sneaking around.

koesherbacon

First Post

koesherbacon

First Post
All good suggestions. My top picks would probably go like this...
4. since the coral drake has already been introduced, maybe there has been a sudden uptake in the numbers of/attacks by these creatures recently...under the command of a black dragon moving into the territory or after some treasure of the mermen's city...or a blue, if you make your blue's to be the oceanic creatures they really should be...or any/one of the oceanic asian dragons (though I don't believe these are generally evil in disposition, iirc. But your game, your monster.)

That made me think of other Dragons. Which do you all think would be a better Dragon for this particular setting:

I figure whichever humanoids the PCs will be encountering will either be working for the dragon, have the dragon working for them. Or, I guess there's always the possibility that the Dragon and some of its kin are a completely different faction in this ecosystem and considers the other two its enemies. Hmm, all things to think about! At any rate, which particular dragon do you think would be best here?

By the way, the PCs' ship is anchored to a large coral reef which lays beneath an area of the world much like our Bermuda Triangle. An area where shipwrecks are extremely common and many of them disappear without a trace or word sent about them being in danger before disappearing. My original idea was simply that the Merfolk in the area were the cause of this, but now that the PCs have decided they want to ally with the Merfolk, I don't mind switching my idea on the fly so that the Merfolks are just trying to survive in this coral reef while someone else is the cause for the derelict ships above.

Of course, since it is a coral reef, there's real-life dangers within like sharks, eels, rays, etc. One of my PCs is a Necromancer who has a large number of bloody skeletons under his control, which means that the sharks in the area are going to be much more aggressive than they normally would be toward the group.

In addition to the coral reef, the area is also home to a graveyard of ships, so I'm planning on giving some aquatic undead humanoids as well. Undead crewmen and women who died with their ships and their bodies+souls have not been able to pass on from protecting their vessels.

Maybe these Merfolk believe its their mission to protect these derelict ships from the other aquatic races? I dunno, keep giving me some ideas! I'm loving it! :D

Man, when my PCs captured one of the Merfolk in their initial encounter and began talking with him, they really opened up a whole new can of worms! I guess it helped the the Paladin of the party rolled unimaginably high on his Diplomacy. Even though it was just after a combat, he brought the Merfolk Rogue from Hostile to Friendly. Was a DC of 26... He rolled a 43.

By the way, to anyone else thinking of doing something like this, give it a second thought. Playing DND on 2D battlemap makes the 3D nature of swimming quite difficult to run. We've resorted to using dice and putting them underneath each creature/PC to indicate how much squares beneath the surface they are. Once they get down to the bottom, we'll switch this and use the dice to show how many squares off the surface they're swimming. Each PC thought ahead and does have a means to survive underwater, be it a Ring of Water Breathing (from the 3.5 Planar Handbook)1, an Everbreath Mask (from Sunken Empires)2, to regular spells being cast, so they don't have to worry about drowning. I didn't want to deal with that aspect of their game. It would really suck if the thing that killed you wan't a monster or something but simply running out of air.

Thanks a lot again!

PS, I apologize that that was a little long and rambling... Had a bout of insomnia last night so I'm not quite as coherent as I normally am...

-----

Footnotes:
1 Ring of Water Breathing - Planar Handbook pg unknown, book info: http://goo.gl/BF4kYu & item info: http://goo.gl/kGSTu7
2 Everbreath Mask - Sunken Empires pg 51, book info: http://goo.gl/hQAtpd

Starfox

Hero
IN a sea with Kopru and Aboleths, basically any creature, good or bad, can be your enemy because it has been mind controlled.

Kinak

First Post
That made me think of other Dragons. Which do you all think would be a better Dragon for this particular setting:

I figure whichever humanoids the PCs will be encountering will either be working for the dragon, have the dragon working for them. Or, I guess there's always the possibility that the Dragon and some of its kin are a completely different faction in this ecosystem and considers the other two its enemies. Hmm, all things to think about! At any rate, which particular dragon do you think would be best here?
For a dragon mastermind, I'd go for Brine Dragon. They tend towards the manipulative and controlling.

For friendly dragons, I'd lean towards the Sea Dragon. They claim huge territories, so they're not going to be able to babysit and overshadow the party. But they're also pretty good-willed. In legend, they also build undersea palaces, which is kind of awesome.

Dragon Turtles and Tidepool Dragons are more on the lines of random encounters. Mixing some Tidepool Dragons in with the drakes wouldn't be remiss.

Aboleths and krakens also make for great undersea masterminds.

Cheers!
Kinak

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
IN a sea with Kopru and Aboleths, basically any creature, good or bad, can be your enemy because it has been mind controlled.

OO snap! The Kopru are fanTAStic old school baddies! I completely forget (as I so often do) about Aboleths...but yeah. Either is a great mastermind/way to get your PCs flustered with "who's the good guys and who's the bad guys?" since anyone can be under their control (if you do/like the whole psychic powers/telepathic control thing. If your PCs don't have a way to thwart this...or you don't put some way into your undersea world for them to, then forget them as it would just be a total TPK - or "TPD" Total Party Domination - as the case may be.)

For your necro with the bloody-undead...yeah, real bad reeeeally bad idea in a reef environment. I would say, as long as they are with the party, the shark attacks would/should be CONSTANT! You'd be drawing sharks from MILES around! Maybe he'll have to learn/play/think creatively to work without them?

There's also the complete possibility, you being the DM and all, that your merfolk could STILL be the baddies!Sure, maybe one or a few mermen are liking them, but the guys "in charge" maybe not so much? Whether they are controlled by aboleth, controlled/ intimidated/manipulated to evil by a dragon/aboleth/kopru/mad giant, or simply just greedy "bad guys" in themselves, wanting to keep the treasure of the sunken ships and/or "racist" against the "walkers/land-crawlers" ["wuddaya call em? Ah feet!" ;)] ...playing/luring the adventurers into a state of complacency.

The smiling villain is always a fun way to go. Being told by the mer-chancellor that "that hallway/room/wreck/section of reef/ocean is off limits" never leads to PCs prying their noses in where they don't belong (noooo, never!:devil:)

As for dragons, I would be inclined to make them blue...cuz I like blue oceanic dragons...can someone explain for me, please, why a dragon attributed to flying over the dessert has blue ont the top and yellow on the bottom?!?! Does it lie on its back in the sand to camouflage itself? When it's flying...no, of course you don't notice the yellow streak against the blue sky...ugh!

Instead of a "line o' lightning" their breath is like a massive "fireball" effect...of electricity. Way nasty/unwanted underwater. Can also have them shoot "bubbles" of magic force to entrap the PCs. Borrow ye olde "Scaly Command" power (originally of the oriental dragons) to have them command sea life to their bidding.

Draconic Aquaman for the win! Schools of small fish to slow/impede movement and eliminate vision. Electric eels for, well, more electrical damage. Giant squid or octopus for...well, GIANT SQUID [or octopus]! "Hey, we got rid of the bloody-undead! Where're all of these sharks coming from/know we're here?!" Giant barracuda, moray eels, poisonous spine-shooting magical-lionfish, all also nasty...OO! OO! An aquatic duplicate of a manticore, like a seacat/-lion and lionfish hybrid, with its tail and spine spikes shootable and poisonous!...[jots note to self]

DAMMIT! I don't have time (at the mo) for an aquatic adventure. I REALLY want one now!

Starfox

Hero
IMO mind control works much better as a plot hook than as a weapon for villains to use. Not that I am above occasional use of MC, but it is better as a mysterious hidden threat than an actual danger.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You might find some ideas in the Aquatic database linked in my sig.

You could also reskin a terrestrial race for aquatic use. For instance, I basically reskinned Dwarves to make a race of anthropomorphic Snapping turtles. You could do likewise with something else.

For instance, you could take something with a nasty touch attack- say, one of the undead- and make them into intelligent, evolved jellyfish. Change the paralyzing or energy draining touch into a painful poisoned stinging touch (because of their nematocysts), and you have something suitably nasty.

Also, [MENTION=2072]Aeolius[/MENTION] should have some ideas.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Hidden at wizards.com you can also find the 3.5e Monster Index, which I find quite useful.

Admittedly, I an rather fond of using shellycoats (aquatic greenhags) and sea hags in my undersea games.

Merrow are another good one mentioned above. With 3.5e templates you can really cause a bit of confusion by introducing half-merrow scrag and half-scrag merrow. To add to the chaos I made sea hags the offspring of shellycoats and merrow and added shoal hags, daughters of shellycoats and scrag.

And yeah, monkeying with merfolk is always fun.

7479869218_186a3b4809_o.jpg

Remove ads