Alternatives to XP costs

Wolf72

Explorer
... Bad, bad, bad idea. Because it was basically free, the cleric would just craft tons of scrolls and single-use wondrous items (heal). It got to the point where the cleric and mage both had 50+ scrolls each at any given moment.

limit supplies or availability? limit amount of gold ... limit using realistic economies of scale (town, village vs city, urban area).

Be my brother as a DM (I'm 37 .. he's 40, so I'm talking back in the early and mid 80's) ..."50 scrolls?! wow that is cool ... where do you keep them all, how do you know which one is which?"

when he asked us to describe our character and what items we had, he listened to make sure we were reasonable ... when the 9 str magic-user had over 70 lbs of gear he questioned.

Der Kluge wrote a book published by Mystic Eye Games called The Artificer's Handbook (or something like that). I believe it's still being offered by Phil Reed's company in PDF. It's a complete overhaul of the magic item creation system so it doesn't use XP.

Try the Spell Slot Item Creation System. It's an updated version of the system presented originally in the Artificer's Handbook and can be downloaded for free from post #3 here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-rules-discussion/240200-artificer-handbook-update.html

If you want the actual Artificer's Handbook, you can still buy the pdf here:
http://www.yourgamesnow.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18_8&products_id=630

Getting hold of a print copy of the book is probably going to be more difficult.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I tried a separate XP pool for magic items in a game once (basically that's where roleplaying XP went and non-casters could pay XP costs on behalf of the caster). Bad, bad, bad idea. Because it was basically free, the cleric would just craft tons of scrolls and single-use wondrous items (heal). It got to the point where the cleric and mage both had 50+ scrolls each at any given moment.

I'd advise against anything to remove the XP cost. It helps keep more control of magic items in the DMs hand, especially if you don't allow for magic item wal-marts.
The main point of XP costs is to prevent abuse; which is why I am looking for other rules that prevent abuse. I am puzzled as to how magic item creation gets that out of hand, though. How much free time do these characters have? To craft 50 items takes at minimum 50 days under the core rules, days with access to the supplies and where you can't do very much. In my games at least, even the most epic campaign takes less than a year (in-game time) from start to finish. It is also of note that the core rules do not describe such items (Heal single use); for this particular situation the DM might want to put a premium on the price or add other restrictions (the magic item creation guidelines aren't hard and fast rules and advise one to do such things). In any case, scrolls at minimum caster level (and spell-using items in general with weak CL and save DCs) aren't usually overpowering, as they increase a character's endurance but not his potency.

I still require special items for powerful magic items (a cloak of charisma +6 for example would require a feather from the king of the giant eagles given freely, but not for a +2). Be creative and it'll make your players interested. You can probably check unearthed arcana for more suggestions (take a look at the section on superior spell components and borrow).
The other point of XP costs is stylistic, attaching something in-game to magic item creation that says its different from non-magic item creation. I like the rare components to this end; it's just a lot of work/thinking, depending on how many items require such components and how you decide what component is appropriate.

Honestly, taking out XP costs for spells is far more concerning to me-Wish, now that's abusable.

Try the Spell Slot Item Creation System. It's an updated version of the system presented originally in the Artificer's Handbook and can be downloaded for free from post #3 here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/general...ok-update.html
I find the idea interesting, particularly the calculation of in-game creation times.

der_kluge

Adventurer
http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-rules-discussion/240200-artificer-handbook-update.html

If you want the actual Artificer's Handbook, you can still buy the pdf here:
MEG: Artificer's Handbook [PJR291] - $9.95 : Your Games Now, Publisher Co-Op

Getting hold of a print copy of the book is probably going to be more difficult.

I read that link, and remember that post! Wow, that was out of left field.

It amazes me that this topic continues to come up all the time. I'm glad to know that I have a few followers that can spread the word for me since I don't spend very much time here anymore.

I've probably spent more time thinking about magic item creation than a rational person should. I really like the Artificer's Handbook method, but embarking down that path, one should understand that it really does muck around with the core economics QUITE a bit. GMs utilizing it, really probably do need to be prepared for how much cheaper some things are going to be. Optionally, they can modify the formula's GP constant from 10 to something like 15 or 20 if they feel like it's too low. But that's kind of self-defeating, since one of the side goals of the system is to tone down the economics. It always bothered me that high level characters were expected to carry around a bank's vault worth of coins. It's kind of ridiculous if you really stop and think about it.

Also, the system really tends to lend itself extremely well to a more grim/low magic game. Since a big focus of a lot of the chapters from the complete book were devoted to components. Idea being that one of the easiest and most logical ways to eliminate the artificial XP burden on item creation was to just require "tongue of newt" and "eye of frog". Of course, GM's can easily handwave that for "mundane" magic items by just saying "Ok, you spend 1,000gp on all the crap you need at the market square for you item." It gets difficult to come up with fancy, expensive ingredients for a magic item, especially if the thing is a damned stick - like a staff of the woodlands, for example. Good luck with that one.

To this end, I started working on an E6/E8 specific adaptation to those rules last year. Here is that document. It has a few new things in it, like alchemical variations for potions, and some wand charts near the back.

Lastly, and more on-topic, I've NEVER used XP in any game I've ever ran. Even in 2nd edition. Admittedly, it's harder in 3rd. This isn't because I'm some avante garde rebel, it's simply because I'm lazy. I always handwave it "Congratulations! You're now 4th level". Easy. Plus, I tend to be kind of cavalier with treasure nowadays - I actually award things like ability score increases, skill points, and action points nowadays.

For magic items, the documents linked and attached should suffice.

For spells, it's a little harder, but fortunately, there aren't that many spells that require XP. At one time, I had a list of them, and I'd gone through each of them and decided how to replace XP in them. I can't find it to save my life, though.

But basically, I removed permanency - I found it too unworkable. For any spell that summons a creature, I require a favor. Something like Planar Ally, et al. When summoned, the creature demands a magic item, cash, or a favor (GM's discretion). For things like wish/limited wish, I'd actually worked them in a similar way as Planar Ally - if you use wish/lw to just replicate a lower level spell, it doesn't require anything (which if you think about it, is not all that unlike just leaving a spell slot blank). But if you use it to actually "wish" for something, then it actually summons an Efreeti or Noble Djinni who then "grants" the wish for you on your behalf. So, get the wording right!! And then, of course, they're going to want something in return...

Attachments

• E6 Item Creation.doc
    1.1 MB · Views: 166

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Well, this suggestion isn't for everyone for flavor reasons. In practice, though, it works out pretty well.

My latest product, Complete Gear, gives an alternate to Item Creation (and Item purchasing, as well). Players are given a pool of influence points through which they can influence the mundane items that they buy. This has an upside of making disjunction and anti-magic fields a fun tactic in game that isn't crippling to the party. It also has the positive effect of making NPCs able to be equipped with anything theDM wants without fear of the treasure falling into the hands of the party and unbalancing the game. It has the downside of some people not liking the flavor of the unmagical fighter being able to "influence" their own potions/swords/etc. From a power perspective, though, power balance is maintained. It isn't a form of power creep.

For less than $3, I would say that it is worth reading for ideas, if nothing else. You can find the link below in my sig. Effectively what it could do for your game is to turn 3.x into a game where Item Creation (for profit) is removed completely while Item Creation (for personal use) is made much more full and flexible. Perhaps best, it completely removes all the XP/ Item Creation mess completely from the game.

Oh, and just ot be on the up-and-up, this will only help reduce the issue with XP and item creation. Complete Gear will not help you with the XP expenditure and spells issue at all. Sorry!

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
Lastly, and more on-topic, I've NEVER used XP in any game I've ever ran. Even in 2nd edition. Admittedly, it's harder in 3rd. This isn't because I'm some avante garde rebel, it's simply because I'm lazy. I always handwave it "Congratulations! You're now 4th level". Easy. Plus, I tend to be kind of cavalier with treasure nowadays - I actually award things like ability score increases, skill points, and action points nowadays.
I used to keep track of XP separately for 10 players, awarding ad hoc for combat, plot, and non-combat achievements. This time around, I figured I'd try XP free. So much easier, so much more time and brainpower to devote to other aspects of the game. Of course I end up with a party of three spellcasters and one who takes item creation feats.
Thus my dilemma.

Rleonardh

First Post
I just house rule:
Cost gp and exp as normal, however if you drop in exp that lowers your level, you don't lose the level. If the party levels up and you don't, you now get more exp from encounters.

Remove ads