• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternity (and OOP games in general)

kaomera

Explorer
Chainsaw Mage said:
2) How many of you play OOP games in general? I have a buddy who only plays games that are out of print. It's sort of a point of pride for him. His argument: waaaay cheaper, he's off the "buy this new supplement" bandwagon, and, well, he loves OOP games. Which is the best reason, obviously. ;) So if you play OOP games, which ones do you play and why?
I would, but most players seem to be the opposite of your friend: If it's not in print they really have no interest in it.

masshysteria

Explorer
I GM'ed an Alternity Dark Matter game just last weekend. My gaming group has been taking a break from D&D and running a bunch of different systems and one shots. It has been fun and we really enjoyed the Dark Matter game.

I personally find Alternity to be much better suited to Dark Matter than d20 Modern. I think my gaming group was also surprised to see the names of the developers on the Alternity books are the same developers they like for a lot of their d20 material.

Now, I'm probably admittedly biased as I own every Alternity book (most were bought after the line went OOP for super cheap), except the introductory boxed set. But it is a fun and flexible system. It required a little bit of thought up front, but can be run off the cuff quite easily. I think that is one of the reasons I'd rather GM Alt than d20.

---

While not necessarily OOP, I have a soft spot for the old FASA games. If I ever become a billionaire, I'm buying all the rights to Shadowrun and putting out a full color high quality line of Shadowrun books with streamlined rules and a logical layout.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Love it and had some really great memories playing it. I almost considered running it for our group as an 'occasional' thing. Some of our players are not hard-core gamers and I pale at trying to explain the system to them.

I compiled a Alternity primer to help ease the pain and aggregate the information and tables to play, but I stopped shortly after that once I heard that Star Wars: Saga Edition was coming out.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Chainsaw Mage said:
2) How many of you play OOP games in general? I have a buddy who only plays games that are out of print. It's sort of a point of pride for him. His argument: waaaay cheaper, he's off the "buy this new supplement" bandwagon, and, well, he loves OOP games. Which is the best reason, obviously. ;) So if you play OOP games, which ones do you play and why?

I love OOP games, but don't get to play them hardly.

Ozmar

First Post
Chainsaw Mage said:
Two questions:

1) Anyone here play ALTERNITY? If so, any opinions, thoughts, comments?

1) Alternity is AWESOME!!! Just had to share that.

2) Don't actually play other games at the moment - not enough time and we spend it all playing D&D.

Ozmar the Single-minded

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I own a LOT of games, but my current main group only plays 3.0 D&D (Core + splats, no psi).

So while I have much love for other games, I don't usually get to play them.

Some that I love, I don't neccessarily love the whole game, but find that they have elements that make them invaluable additions to my collection.

SSI's Universe: not as thorough as Traveller (a better game, overall), but parts of it are much better- like its planetary system design rules, robotics, etc.

TSR'sAlternity: another great sci-fi game

TSR's Amazing Engine: a pretty good 2Ed-ish take on a setting-neutral RPG, with some interesting campaign worlds.

Mayfair Games' Underground: The best dark superheroic game I can think of.

GDW/Heliograph's Space 1889: mechanics? Not the best. Setting? Brilliant!

Pinnacle's Deadlands: again, a great setting.

Pagan/Hobgoblyn's Godlike: a classic and well-researched WW2 supers game.

Chessex (and many others') Lost Worlds: not an RPG, but a semi-collectible player vs player fantasy (or in some runs, sci-fi) combat game. M:tG before there was an M:tG.

Remove ads