Alternity: The TSR/WotC game that time forgot!

JohnSnow

Hero
Does anyone other than me still have their "Alternity" books sitting around? I think today, Alternity is best remembered for its "Dark*Matter" setting, rather than the system itself. But one of the things that struck me recently is that Alternity clearly heavily influenced the design of Dungeons & Dragons 3e, and some of its key concepts have gone on to be brought back in other, more modern RPGs. Unlike 3e (released in 2000), Alternity was still badged as a TSR game. It came out in 1998, and its chief designers were Bill Slaviscek (late of WEG Star Wars) and Richard Baker. Dark*Matter, for the record, came out in 1999 and carried a WotC badge.

For those who don't remember, Alternity used a Control (d20) + Situation Die (variable) mechanic. You attempted to role under a target number (based on an ability score, a skill, or some other number). Checks could produce results of Ordinary, Good, or Amazing. Even damage followed this metric, with the results equating to stun (O), wound (G), or mortal (A).

Overall, it was a pretty neat system, and I always liked it, especially because it gave regular use to ALL the dice in a way that D&D never has. The one thing that always felt kinda clunky to me was the "roll under" mechanic, but I've generally chalked that up to its appearance in a world where descending armor class was "good."

The system got a little finicky at the edges, but I always felt that a second edition of it might have been an amazing game. Alas, it was not to be. I had glimmers during the D&D-Next playtest that the step die might replace static bonuses, but unfortunately that mechanic didn't survive play-testing. Which is a bit of a pity, as my players kinda dug it.

Anyone else have thoughts? Who remembers Alternity?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I do. While it was never my cup of tea (I've always preferred fantasy to science fiction) I bought a few of the books at the time, and went back and got more later on, when "Alternity-isms" started appearing in things like d20 Modern. I particularly enjoyed the Dark*Matter book, which I received as a gift and which absolutely blew me away. I also really loved the Tangents generic sourcebook (i.e. it wasn't for Star*Drive or Dark*Matter), which had a seriously great overview of parallel universes and how to use them in your game.

When Wizards let the Alternity trademark lapse, Sasquatch Games Studio picked it up and produced a sort of "second edition". It's much like the original, but has strait bonuses instead of stats, high rolls are better, and a funky initiative system. Unfortunately, it also doesn't have the IP associated with the original game.

Alternity at DriveThruRPG.com

Stormonu

Legend
I was at the WotC/TSR 1998 Game Camp when this was released. Just about everyone there bought the black-covered deluxe edition, got the designers to sign it and had a Q&A on it. Except me - I was too focused on D&D at the time and for some dumb reason, didn't participate (I think I was bummed out that it wasn't Star Frontiers).

I do, however, have all the old Alternity books - though it took me a couple years to appreciate them and their design. I first used them to do a Matrix campaign, and while short-lived, enjoyed it. The books got set aside when d20 modern came along, but I've been swinging back to favor Alternity and just need to get some players to try it again.

I recently found out about the Sasquatch version, but I think I prefer the original rules better - especially if the point costs for purchasing skills are changed to all be the same.

JohnSnow

Hero
When Wizards let the Alternity trademark lapse, Sasquatch Games Studio picked it up and produced a sort of "second edition". It's much like the original, but has strait bonuses instead of stats, high rolls are better, and a funky initiative system. Unfortunately, it also doesn't have the IP associated with the original game.

Alternity at DriveThruRPG.com
Sadly, the replacement of the straight bonuses with stats would kinda bug me. One of the things I actually loved about Alternity was the dice-based step system. I would prefer a rework of the system to be "roll over" plus raises (kinda d20 mixed with Savage Worlds), but I haven't even dug into how complicated that system might be and whether it would work out. Always seemed like a cool idea to give all the dice more love.

(As an aside, the fact that thanks to Dungeon Crawl Classics, there's now a d14 and d16 has had me thinking there's now a chance for a smoother expansion of the "step dice" mechanic.)

RobJN

Adventurer
Bought the Alternity books when they first came out and devoured them. Still have them, sitting on the shelf next to my copy of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia. PHB+GMG+Beyond Science+Mindwalking makes for a game system with which I can pretty much play anything, from sword-and-sorcery to "Star Wars".

A lot of people love/swear by Star*Drive, but it never really hooked me like Dark•Matter did. Exit 23 is still one of the best intro adventures I've ever read.

Sasquatch's Alternity tried-- really tried-- to recapture the magic of the system, but didn't quite get over the bar -- although I do like how they handled psionics, with the notion of exerting "effort" replacing psionic energy point bookkeeping.

Unfortunately, their attempts at campaign structure fell a bit flat, and a lot of the promised "modules" (cyberpunk, spaceships) never manifested. I still hold out hope that the Shipyard supplement gets the Warships partially-complete-release treatment.... but I'm not holding my breath.

Sadly, the replacement of the straight bonuses with stats would kinda bug me. One of the things I actually loved about Alternity was the dice-based step system. I would prefer a rework of the system to be "roll over" plus raises (kinda d20 mixed with Savage Worlds), but I haven't even dug into how complicated that system might be and whether it would work out. Always seemed like a cool idea to give all the dice more love.
Nah, it still has the die steps to determine difficulty, but since it's no longer roll under ability score + skill they dispensed with ability score stats in favor of strait mods to the target number. So, all the subtraction is front loaded.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I loved Alternity back in the day, and I still have my old books.

It's not my go-to space opera game anymore (that would be White•Star), but I definitely use Alternity (especially Star*Drive), d20 Future, and Star Frontiers as system-agnostic supplements when I have occasion to run White•Star.

Riley

Legend
Alternity was great! I picked up a black-covered prerelease version at Gen Con, and we tried its mechanics for a D&D-esque fantasy mini campaign when we were getting tired of 2e. (It petered out.)

Last edited:

Remove ads