• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Am I adding this up correctly?

Taloras

First Post
Ok, I was looking through Races of Stone(currently playing a Goliath monk). I saw the Cragtop Archer. One of their abilities is the arcing shot...so long as you have 40 feet of clear air above you and the area you are shooting through, you can shoot out to 15 range increments(not 10). Then you get an ability that allows you, as a full round action) to make one shot out to its full range without any penalties(so out to the 15th range increment at full attack bonus). Added in is the prereq Far Shot for the class. Now take a +1 Greatbow of Distance. Give this to said Cragtop Archer. Greatbow has range increment of 120 feet. Distance makes this 240 feet. Far Shot takes it out to 360 feet. Multiply that by 15. Thats one shot every round out to 5400 feet with no penalty. Am I adding this correctly?

The only problem I would see is youd have to have a very high spot modifier to even SEE your target. Although I do believe that one of their abilities(or the other prereq feat, i dont recall) halves the penalties for distance on spot(-1 per 20 feet, not 10). Thats still a....270 spot check at that distance.....does this balance out this ability?

kjenks

First Post
You only need to Spot someone if he's Hiding. If he's not hiding, you can see your target at the normal encounter distance (see the DMG rules for encounter distance for different terrains).

Lord Wyrm

First Post
Yeah I think your're adding that up correctly. That's around a Mile, single shot, no penalties. I've done worse with an Epic Hobgolin Fighter, but that's kinda scarry. What's the race prerequisites for that class?

Taloras

First Post
No race prereq. BAB +6, either 5 or 10 ranks in Climb and Jump each(maybe 1 other skill, i cant recall), Far Shot, and Mountain Warrior(from Races of Stone, an archery feat)

Christian

Explorer
kjenks said:
You only need to Spot someone if he's Hiding. If he's not hiding, you can see your target at the normal encounter distance (see the DMG rules for encounter distance for different terrains).
I don't have my DMG in front of me, but I'm fairly certain that standard encounter distances are considerably less than a mile in most terrain types ...

Remove ads