D&D 4E Am I crazy? I've just gotten a hankering to play 4e again...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It literally doesn't do that. There's a reason I said it ISN'T like Skyrim.
Scaled as adversaries levelled indeed.

In fact AC defenses not scaling in 1e was one of the things which made no sense to me its like they do not get better at really fully dodging things/weapons or really fully parrying things. (a strange and arbitrary limit on fighting abilities of enemies and heroes both)... but they did get better and better at responding to spells no there was no WHY that made sense and Gygax did not try to make one.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
1. But 5e creatures include this quarter-level scaling too. Average defenses go up with CR at about the rate of proficiency. 5e DOES scale, just somewhat more slowly--and yes, ability scores and items (though not feats) are factored into it as well, despite some statements to the contrary. 5e has roughly 4e's math cut in half, and only rising to level 20 rather than going to 30. E.g. max ability score mod is +5 rather than +10, max magic bonus from items is +3 rather than +6, yet these happen 33% faster because you get them over 20 levels rather than 30, so the dropped feat bonuses (roughly) return the math to scaling at half 4e's rate. It still scales. This, for example, is why the non-improvement in saving throws without proficiency is A Problem for 5e fans: save DCs DO scale and you have no real means to fix that besides blowing feats on Resilient.
Is that funny in the oh casters are superior to everyone sort of way? or just in the feat taxes 5e style way?

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
if you'd like advice on how to expand the approach to and use of Skill Challenges, just say the word. I fear they really flop if played precisely as written, but if you just go a little bit further than the RAW (and ignore the terrible examples provided) you really can make them feel great to play.
I, for one, would love to read your thoughts on Skill Challenges. :)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
right because you think it makes sense that higher level enemies should not be better at defending themselves because of FEELINGS which you cannot explain .... yeh whatever
Its not that I can't explain, I just can't be bothered. You love 4e, enjoy it. I think it had issues but that doesn't mean it was a terrible edition, but like every edition, after playing it a bit what I consider flaws stuck out.

pemerton

Legend
The effect of 4e's scaling, as I experienced it, is to help allocate particular NPCs/creatures to tiers, and levels within tiers. Minions and swarms reinforce this.

I don't think it's meant to trick anyone into thinking that combats get easier or harder with levels gained - it's to generate the story dynamics described in the previous paragraph.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Is that funny in the oh casters are superior to everyone sort of way? or just in the feat taxes 5e style way?
Bit of both, really.

I, for one, would love to read your thoughts on Skill Challenges. :)
Alright!

So, to start off: As stated, the example SCs are bad. Like, really bad. They go all-in for a dull systematic approach that deadens rather than enriches the experience. So really don't listen to those examples. Later, when I'm less tired, I can try to assemble a better example. But that's boring, let's get to the interesting stuff.

One of the fundamental problems with the way Skill Challenges are presented is that, unlike 4e's combat system, nothing changes (until they complete) when you run them RAW. Oh, there might be some incredibly minor changes like "you can't use skill X twice" or "trying this again after failing increases the DC by Y," but by and large the situations are static until you hit a magic number of successes or failures. That's boring! The situation not only can but should be dynamic. This means that establishing a turn order (whether by Initiative or some other means) is important; it means that there's value to being the person who goes last vs. first, that the situation on hand requires active attention and you might WANT to be the person who goes after your friend.

This is, of course, difficult to plan ahead for, which means that committing too much to a list of specific skills (as the RAW text suggests) isn't really a viable strategy. Instead, you want to prepare for a more dynamic situation, one that evolves as the players make choices. Perhaps History makes sense as an early roll in a chase-scene SC, because it reflects the character's knowledge of the buildings and layout of the city, but it doesn't make sense toward the end when the party has almost cornered them but they've almost reached their destination.

And that last bit gives a nice segue into opening up the SC to far more interesting possibilities: ranges of success. Under the standard rules, you must get X successes before Y failures, and it's a black-and-white result. Either you do, and succeed, or you don't, and fail. That's also boring, and turns each individual success into just another token in the pile. Having a range of success options from "you absolutely trounced them, great job" to "you blew it completely" makes for a much more interesting and tense experience--each roll matters, rather than only the last roll or two.

So, for example, in a diplomacy-focused SC such as "convince the queen to help the war effort," a flying-colors success doesn't just get you her aid, you've got her entire court cheering for you, and multiple nobles on board to bring their personal levies in addition to the royal ones. With a bare-minimum success, you have only the queen's agreement to invest resources and scouts, with her needing hard proof of the danger before she'll commit her forces. With a narrow failure, she's still open to helping, but is reluctant or needs help/assurance/justification before she can take any real action. Only an abject failure costs the party the ability to get what they need entirely. As with the previous stuff, this IS harder to implement and requires keen improvisational skills on the DM's part, but it makes for a MUCH more exciting experience.

Finally, you absolutely MUST know how to just say "yes" or "no," and you REALLY need to be keen on creative costs/payments on the players' parts. It is really satisfying for a player who has a great idea that you just tell them, "That works. No roll--you got that one." Knowing that it is possible to just succeed IF they can find a genuinely amazing idea does wonders for keeping players creative and engaged. Likewise, being able to just tell the party either "your character would know that doesn't/wouldn't work" or "I'm sorry, it's a neat idea but it won't accomplish what you're looking for, let's think about something else you could do" is important if it really, genuinely isn't just unlikely but truly implausible/impossible. Knowing how to give straight-up "yes" and "no" answers helps players have the confidence to try creative ideas, and the knowledge that creativity is necessary because not just any crazy idea will work.

But I left out the creative cost/payment thing. Really engage with the options a character has available. Healing Surges and Action Points are a possible thing for every player to consider paying as part of an effort/retry/mitigation, but let them creatively re-apply items or powers. Especially if they're Daily or consumable effects, this can really encourage players to treat their character sheet as a toolbox to employ rather than a dead-end for creative thought. Simple examples include stuff like using an at-will fire power (like the Sorcerer at-will burning spray) to light something on fire, using a Barbarian rage power that increases speed to get a bonus on an Athletics check to jump a gap, or expending a daily Diplomacy-related utility power to re-roll a check to persuade someone on a noble cause. (Two of these have actually been used in games I've played!) Doing so will give the players a greater feeling of control and participation; they actually have resources they can expend, rather than just making a couple skill rolls apiece and calling it done.

I hope that the above demonstrates how very little here actually breaks any of the RAW for Skill Challenges. Because that's really the heart of it; the Skill Challenge as presented is a dry, dull, mechanistic affair that lacks most of the subtlety and need for situational awareness that you find in normal 4e play. By expanding in these ways, you can make them much more exciting and involving--they become a framework for evolving situations, rather than static random-chance puzzles. Should people be interested, I'll provide some worked examples, with the caveat that since "my" version of the SC depends heavily on improv, no example can ever quite capture the adaptations the DM must make as the situation unfolds.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Adventurer abilities all scaling in ways appropriate to adventuring in a broad way is something 4e fixed.
But I left out the creative cost/payment thing. Really engage with the options a character has available. Healing Surges and Action Points are a possible thing for every player to consider paying as part of an effort/retry/mitigation, but let them creatively re-apply items or powers. Especially if they're Daily or consumable effects, this can really encourage players to treat their character sheet as a toolbox to employ rather than a dead-end for creative thought. Simple examples include stuff like using an at-will fire power (like the Sorcerer at-will burning spray) to light something on fire, using a Barbarian rage power that increases speed to get a bonus on an Athletics check to jump a gap, or expending a daily Diplomacy-related utility power to re-roll a check to persuade someone on a noble cause. (Two of these have actually been used in games I've played!) Doing so will give the players a greater feeling of control and participation; they actually have resources they can expend, rather than just making a couple skill rolls apiece and calling it done.
I basically read the 4e DMG2 information on skill challenges before playing (got into the game just after it was out). But to me the above is definitely directly presented...

edit:In fact 4e characters all having similar resources they can all apply as skill challenge currency is one of the benefits of 4e wrt skill challenges.

Last edited:

I see almost non-improvement in skills too ... compare skill advancement to elements in weapon using you get the same improvement of trained skills and you probably get multi attacks or increased damage to makeup for less multi.
The lack of any improvement in skills I just fiend WEIRD in 5e. I mean, you're level 20 and you're just mostly not that much better than Farmer Bob. The skill bonus growth in 4e is one of the things which, IMHO, projects the fantastical nature of high level play best. The 30 STR Athletics Monster fighter can pass DC42 ultimate difficulty Athletics checks to pick up giant boulders, or carve a tunnel with his bare hands, or wrestle Orcus and win! That entire concept doesn't really exist in 5e, it just isn't set up for anything like that.

Scaled as adversaries levelled indeed.

In fact AC defenses not scaling in 1e was one of the things which made no sense to me its like they do not get better at really fully dodging things/weapons or really fully parrying things. (a strange and arbitrary limit on fighting abilities of enemies and heroes both)... but they did get better and better at responding to spells no there was no WHY that made sense and Gygax did not try to make one.
It is based in the idea of skilled play. You don't just GET better AC for free, you have to acquire it in the form of magic armor, rings of protection, bracers of defense, cloaks of displacement, magic shields, etc. At least in most of our games a 12th+ level fighter with an AC that was a positive number was a hurting unit, you would not last long! Hell, my WIZARD had a negative AC! (at least in most likely situations).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases