• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Am I the only one who doesn't like the D&D Vampire? (Pointless rant, I suppose)

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:

A prestige class would not make sense. A template along the lines of the half fiend would make more sense.

Why? I know it's easier, and usually a class of any kind represents training, and templates represent a genetic lineage or physical set of traits. However, a lot of people want a vampire that gains new abilities and powers, and increases in strength over time. Also, not every vampire would have the same abilities, which requires a selection of feats, or something similar to simulate. A template is a bit inadequate for these purposes.
You could randomize a vampire's abilities in a template by putting different abilities into charts and then roll for a result, but that still causes the vampire to gain all of the abilities it will have for the entirety of it's eternal unlife the very moment it becomes undead.

If you think that, outside of the vampire's original creature type, all vampires are created equal, then a template is ideal.
If you would rather have a vampire more closely resembling one of Anne Rice's or perhaps WW's, then something else will need to be devised.
Of course, you could make the perfect vampire template and I'll admit I'm wrong most gratefully. ;)

Or in other words, "Crow never tasted so good."

hong

WotC's bitch
Bran Blackbyrd said:

Why? I know it's easier, and usually a class of any kind represents training, and templates represent a genetic lineage or physical set of traits. However, a lot of people want a vampire that gains new abilities and powers, and increases in strength over time. Also, not every vampire would have the same abilities, which requires a selection of feats, or something similar to simulate. A template is a bit inadequate for these purposes.

Using a template doesn't have to mean identical vampires. First, you have the abilities of the base creature itself, and second, the template itself can offer a selection from a range of abilities. Eg the ghost.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Kenzer's Kalamar module, Harvest of Darkness, features templates for a vampire cult that are not overloaded with superhuman powers (no changing to bats, wolves or mist, etc.). I thought them very well done and the cult itself an interesting take on d20 vampires. Check it out!

BTW: Sean K Reynolds has a Buffy-esque vampire template on his site, also very good.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
hong said:

Using a template doesn't have to mean identical vampires. First, you have the abilities of the base creature itself, and second, the template itself can offer a selection from a range of abilities. Eg the ghost.

I just said that.

What that doesn't address is the vampire gaining all of it's abilities in one shot.

Storminator

First Post
Tonguez said:

So the answer isn't simply to make your Creature a mega-powerful super monster, its to be creative and create an atmosphere of dread and loathing through successful roleplaying and 'throwing out the rules' as you see fit.

I don't think you need a super monster, but a couple of special powers tailor to terrorize PCs wouldn't be bad. Frex, any hit with a magic weapon means the weapon must save or lose one level of plus, combined with DR 10/+1. Each plus drained gives he vamp 10 hp. Blessed weapons are immune.

2nd power, every spell targeted on the vamp means the vamp and the caster make opposed caster checks (with the vamp using his HD for level) and if the vamp wins the caster loses an additional spell of equal level. Each drained spell gives the vamp 3*level hp. Good spells are immune.

Just for kicks, give him improved evasion.

Now your vamp will scare the hell out PCs, because it destroys weapons and spells at an alarming rate, and there is no good method of attacking.

And neither of these powers are in conflict with any folklore, because no one casts spells at vamps, nor do they hit them with magic weapons.

PS

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Bran Blackbyrd said:

I just said that.

What that doesn't address is the vampire gaining all of it's abilities in one shot.

I cited the Half Fiend Template for just this reason; take a look at it, and you'll see what I'm getting at.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:

I cited the Half Fiend Template for just this reason; take a look at it, and you'll see what I'm getting at.

I see what you're saying, I just think that the people that want a more in depth vampire want a level of complexity that we haven't seen yet in a template. I grant you, that doesn't mean it can't be done. So someone, please, do it. :) I would, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I stink at doing crunchy rules stuff (I'm probably only mediocre at the non-crunchy stuff).

BTW, I never count the differences in to races that have a template as counting towards the variety of the template itself. A templated creature will almost (I said almost) invariably have the same array of abilties at it's disposal as another of a different race. Unless it's too stupid or weak to take advantage of said powers.

EDIT: Joshua Dyal, I haven't seen the Warhammer vampire. The closest I've come is the Mordheim version, and I don't have a set of the rules of my own. Besides, my warband was made up of Sisters of Sigmar.

Last edited:

Remove ads