Am I Unreasonable?

Skarp Hedin

First Post
I don't think this is unreasonable, mind you, but hey, can't hurt to ask:

One of the PCs (a wizard) has recently acquired the services of a very unpleasant demon. To be fair, he only thinks he has, since the demon is just pretending to serve him while he prepares to turn the wizard to evil and then kill him and send his soul to The Bad Place. Anyhow, he certainly seems to -think- that the demon will do what he says, since he "freed" it (of course, the demon was pretending, but hey, they lie).

So he had the demon do a couple of pretty meaningless stuff, in the grand scheme, and then he told it to go get him a spellbook. The demon's pretty tough, so I had him get the wizard (Dr. Clayton) a pretty nice spellbook... but I filled it full of Corrupt and Evil spells from the Book of Vile Darkness.. sure, a couple of spells in there are fine, stuff like Dismissal, or Ice Storm, but the rest is stuff like Call Dretch Horde and Curse of the Putrid Husk -- essentially useless unless Clayton's looking to get butchered by his adventuring pals.

So does that seem unreasonable to anyone? He's got a few handy spells out of it, but mostly a pack of rotten stuff that'll turn him evil and get him killed if he uses it. As I say, I don't think it's unreasonable -- he got some new spells for, essentially, nothing*, so... but I thought I'd ask.

Skarp Hedin

* -- "Nothing" except some demon probably coming back later to kill him, of course, but the demon was going to do that anyhow.. soon as he can be sure of trapping Clayton's soul.

Timothy

First Post
This doesn't sound unreasonable, this sounds just like a wish, you have to formulate what you want very carefully, or get some side effects to your wish.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Quite reasonable. As DM, it is your job to set up quandries like this. He's the one playing with fire. If he chooses to ignore the subtle signs that no good can come of his folly, than it is his own fault.

DDK

Banned
Banned
Heh, I don't see why you're beating yourself up about it; I think it's kinda cool. And anyway, any player who thinks for a second that he can trust a fiend deserves all he gets! Lol.

-Warlord-

First Post
Quite reasonable.

He asked for a spellbook, he got a spellbook. And one without firetraps and snake sigils too!

I think it would be quite reasonable that said demon will return in the future to demand a tribute in turn as well.

Sounds great to me!

I would love to know how this turns out by the way. I am surprised that the wizard hasn't figured out that he is headed for trouble, but alas, the acquisition of power sometimes clouds the mind. hehe

Celebrim

Legend
Heck, you would be unreasonable if the demon turned out to be a nice cuddly friendly helper who acquiesed to the players every whim. I don't understand people that think that evil shouldn't be evil, and well, utter evil shouldnt' be utterly evil. In fact it really bothers the heck out of me when the demon inevitably it seems turns out to be a really reasonable fellow who gets along with his buds and is fun to hang out with and is really just misunderstood and is noble at heart.

Remove ads