D&D 5E Amazon best and worst sellers for 5e so far

TheSword

Legend
5e’s success is Rise of Tiamat’s success. As with all adventures it’s symbiotic. If 5e ended, people would slow down buying 5e adventures. Stands to reason it would have happened with 3e.

incidentally 3e and 3.5 aren’t different editions. .5 was an update, and very specifically not a new edition… that’s why it wasn’t called 4th edition.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
5e’s success is Rise of Tiamat’s success. As with all adventures it’s symbiotic. If 5e ended, people would slow down buying 5e adventures. Stands to reason it would have happened with 3e.

incidentally 3e and 3.5 aren’t different editions. .5 was an update, and very specifically not a new edition… that’s why it wasn’t called 4th edition.
Tell that to the OGL publishers who had put out 3E material.

darjr

I crit!
Huh? At wizards site there are only links to Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds to by Tyranny of Dragons.

Hoard is in stock brand new, but I can't tell if those are recent printings.

HomegrownHydra

Adventurer
Apologies after reading through all the posts so far so still don't really understand what these stats mean.

You say current sales, does that mean:

1) Sales within the last day, week, month? (in which case, recent titles would likely have a big advantage?)
2) Sales of that book for all time? (in which case, wouldn't the books from years ago have a massive advantage over new titles?)

Is the ranking a pure indicator of "book A sold X books in the timeframe, book B sold Y", or does it have other factors, such as price/profitability/reviews/etc.

I think amazon's rankings are both historical and current, in a secret combination, actually.
The sales ranking is purely determined by number of units sold. While the algorithm rewards consistency of sales over a short term spike, it heavily weights recent sales so think of the ranking as how well the product has done over the last week or two.

JEB

Legend
Was curious if the numbers had changed substantively in the last day or so, and checked again:

YearRankings
2014PHB (#1)
MM (#7 -> #4)
DMG (#5)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen (#44 -> #40)
Rise of Tiamat (#121 -> #152)
2015SCAG (#23 -> #21)
Out of the Abyss (#30 -> #28)
Princes of the Apocalypse (#29 -> #35)
2016Volo's (#6)
Curse of Strahd (#21 -> #23)
Storm King's Thunder (#34)
2017Xanathar's (#4 -> #7)
Tales from the Yawning Portal (#19 -> #17)
Tomb of Annihilation (#22 -> #24)
2018Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (#10 -> #9)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (#18 -> #22)
Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage (#24 -> #25)
Ravnica (#31 -> #27)
2019Essentials Kit (#11 -> #10)
Eberron (#13 -> #15)
Ghosts of Saltmarsh (#20 -> #18)
Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus (#28 -> #32)
Acquisitions Inc. (#38 -> #42)
Rick and Morty starter set (#66 -> #78)
2020Tasha's (#2 -> #3)
Wildemount (#16 -> #14)
Theros (#25 -> #29)
2021Fizban's (#3 -> #2)
Candlekeep Mysteries (#14 -> #16)
Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft (#26 -> #19)
Strixhaven (#17 -> #20)

Most stayed where they were relative to other releases in the same year, except:
  • the MM is now ahead of the DMG
  • Out of the Abyss is now ahead of Princes of the Apocalypse
  • Ravenloft is now ahead of Strixhaven
Still, enough stuff moved around that these numbers can at best be taken as a general benchmark, even if they factor in historical and new sales as @TheSword mentioned. They would be much more informative when captured over a longer period. Unfortunately, everywhere that does that for you appears to ask you to pay for the privilege...

Tell that to the OGL publishers who had put out 3E material.

3.0 to 3.5 was a very big shift towards "balance" at the table. I could once again go into detail, but with hindsight I would say that 3.0 was the better of the two editions in many regards. I still wish a few concepts of 3.0 were in 5e.

Muso

Explorer
The MTG settings are actually the worst sellers in each year (excepting 2021, where Strixhaven beat out Ravenloft). I would have thought crossover sales would have done more for them.
Nice news. I really hope WoC will stop wasting time and resources on MtG settings.
I still want 5E editions of Planescape and Dark Sun (Birthright is an impossible dream).

Remove ads