• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Amazon not yet shipping Ptolus?

buzz

Adventurer
Amazon currently has it listed for $100, i.e., no discount, FWIW. I have no idea if they offered a discount when it was first released.

I dunno. Amazon offers big discount on almost every single RPG product they sell. I find it weird that retailers would have been surprised by this. But, hey, I'm no retailer.

Glyfair

Explorer
This is what Monte had to say on his forum in this thread.

Retailers get burned by Amazon and other similar sellers (but lets be real, it's 99% Amazon) all the time. The higher the price, the more they get burned. (Retailers got burned on World's Largest Dungeon, for example, although eventually even Amazon got burned on that one, but that's a long story.) The thing that happens is that your local retailer buys a book and puts it in his store. Then, a customer comes in, flips through it, decides to buy it, but doesn't buy it from the store. He goes home and orders it through Amazon to get a big discount.

We decided early on that we didn't want that to happen to Ptolus. We want to help out our retailers. So beyond selling direct through the website, we're offering Ptolus only to hobby distributors. Not book trade distributors.

So here's what likely happened. Amazon has found out that the book is coming, perhaps through their related third party vendors (do they still call them z-shops or something? I think so.). Anyway, they've listed the book, assuming that they're going to get it the way that they've always recieved books from us. But we're not selling Ptolus to their normal suppliers, or directly to them. It's possible that Amazon will buy it through hobby distributors, but that's quite unlikely. And if they do, they'll likely not honor the $75 price, because they'll be losing money with each one.

Here's the really crappy part. Even though we're contacting Amazon directly right now and explaining the situation, it's very, very unlikely that they'll take that page down. They do this to drive attention to their associated third party vendors who will be selling the book--almost certainly not for $75, having bought it through the normal hobby channels. This means that people are going to preorder and order through Amazon to get the discount and very likely never get their book. The consumers will eventually get a refund, but it will be long after our online and retail preorder programs are over. (Conceivably, it could be after the book is sold out.)

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their money, but if you or anyone you know is planning on ordering through Amazon via that page at that discount, be very, very cautious. It's possible that you'll get it, but in my informed opinion, it seems very unlikely. In fact, you might want to warn people about this.

I will also say that it's a free market. If Amazon wants to track down a hobby distributor to buy from, and then still sell it for a huge discount, and lose money, we can't actually prevent them from doing that. Your local hobby store might decide to buy a copy of Ptolus for all of their good and loyal customers and give them away for free too. I don't control what happens on that end. I don't think either is likely, however.

Monte
www.montecook.com

BadMojo

First Post
Ambrus said:
At the very least they can try explaining why that can't provide a book that's already listed as being released.

I don't think Amazon has bothered to explain that in their 10+ years of doing business.

Ambrus

Explorer
BadMojo said:
I don't think Amazon has bothered to explain that in their 10+ years of doing business.
I guess I'm just naive in thinking that a business should be able to explain to their customers the contradictions in their written material. :(

Dark Psion

First Post
buzz said:
Amazon currently has it listed for $100, i.e., no discount, FWIW. I have no idea if they offered a discount when it was first released.

I dunno. Amazon offers big discount on almost every single RPG product they sell. I find it weird that retailers would have been surprised by this. But, hey, I'm no retailer.

Amazon originally had it for $75, but they have missed every shipping date thay have given. I have talked to them several times and they are trying to get the book, but Malhavok is making it difficult for them to find the book.

While Amazon did give me $25 in gift certificates for my delays over that last couple months, when they moved the delivery date to November, I gave up and ordered it at EnWorld shop.

Personally I do not blame Amazon for this, the fault falls on Monte Cook for forgeting that not all gamers have a Friendly Local Game Shop.

If you want to call Amazon.com, their super secret customer service number is 1-800‑201‑7575

See here for more secret numbers: http://gethuman.com/us/

Crothian

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Yeah but they don't have the discount! :p

I got it from RPGshop for 90 and I still got the bonus module and the free swag they offer and 5% cash back into my account. It came in three days, I was very pleased with it all.

Banshee16

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Yeah but they don't have the discount! :p

I preordered mine and got it before Gen Con along with a buncha extras.

Did you preorder it, and are still waiting? Or preordered it, and you have the book?

I can kind of understand why Monte's doing what he's doing. But it's frustrating all the same, given the expense of some of the books.

Some FLGS' are actually instituting programs where if you preorder books through them, they'll give a discount similar to what Amazon does, thouigh not quite as much. My local shop gives me 25% off every book *if* I order it at least a day before it's released. It's not as good as Amazon, but it's pretty close...and it's supporting my local shops.

Banshee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads