Amazon Orders

Lygah

First Post
Has anyone ordering from Amazon.ca had thier orders shipped yet, I had to make my order through a friend, and he won't be checking the status every couple of hours like i would be.

TalonComics

First Post
Coik said:

Well, that depends on who owns the media company in question. If the parent company has Wal-Mart stock, they'd probably praise it as one of the most masterful marketing moves in economics.

I honestly don't know why WotC bothers with street dates. It's pretty much confirmed that no one (except the distrubutors they can withhold product from) honors them, and one would think that it would be to their advantage to get the books out there as soon as they're ready. After all, the sooner they sell, the sooner they sell out, meaning the reorders happen sooner, which in turns means WotC gets to make a second bank deposit a lot sooner. (It also means that the inital rush will be over sooner, but the business mind is unable to comprehend the amount of time invovled for that to happen...profits now, everything else can wait)

My low-grade mocking of Adam Smith and his invisible hand aside, didja have any luck, Derek?

I found out some interesting things from WotC.
One, they're looking at doing away with a "street date" and going with a "release week" to try to avoid this problem in the future. It's still be debated though. The main reason for WotC to have a street date, and it's something I agree with, is to allow everyone to be able to sell the books at the same time. In theory, this would allow everyone to compete equally.

Second, we'll probably get the official decision tomorrow regarding the release of the books to everyone else.

Something I found out about the Harry Potter release is that Wal-Mart and other stores were put under threat of lawsuits if they released the books before the street date. The street date was made for the exact same reason WotC tried to do with the core books.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have the books on Wednesday.

~D

drothgery

First Post
TalonComics said:
Something I found out about the Harry Potter release is that Wal-Mart and other stores were put under threat of lawsuits if they released the books before the street date. The street date was made for the exact same reason WotC tried to do with the core books.

Of course, it's quite likely that Scholastic sold more copies of Order of the Phoenix on its first day than WotC will ever sell of all the 3e and 3.5e core rulebooks combined.

JoeGKushner

First Post
With Amazon, I can't complain too much. I've shopped with them enough to know that usually, they don't specialize in RPG materials and that if you get them early, it's a bonus but I don't expect it.

Having said that, I have received confirmation that my books are on the way as of today from Amazon.

Coik

First Post
TalonComics said:
The main reason for WotC to have a street date, and it's something I agree with, is to allow everyone to be able to sell the books at the same time. In theory, this would allow everyone to compete equally.

Of course, as you note, in this regard it's a lot like communism. It looks really, really good on paper...

Second, we'll probably get the official decision tomorrow regarding the release of the books to everyone else.

I'd be surprised if they didn't give everyone the go-ahead. And rather disappointed to, given that both Amazon and Wal-Mart have techincally broken the street date at this point (and to not allow anyone else to sell them would really screw over other businesses, particularly the game ships), and, well, they said themselves they're for sale

Something I found out about the Harry Potter release is that Wal-Mart and other stores were put under threat of lawsuits if they released the books before the street date.

Nasty. Did that come from the publisher or Rowling herself? From what I understand, she's something of a control freak, and definitely has the money to make corps take notice when she threatens legal action.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have the books on Wednesday.

Hopefully. The more lead time before Gen Con I have with these, the better. Our DM's expecting my evaulation soon after I get back.

youspoonybard

First Post
Keep it up, Talon!

Talon, I ordered the books from you, and even though I don't have 'em yet, I appreciate the effort you're going through to get them to me. Keep us informed, please!

I can wait the extra few days, no problem.

Technik4

First Post
My MM and DMG are in shipped status, but not my PHB????

Oh, I still love amazon and everything, but why must they torment me?!

Technik

Coik

First Post
Technik4 said:

Oh, I still love amazon and everything, but why must they torment me?!

Technik

It's how they get their sick little thrills.

Jeff Bezos is reading this thread right now, and laughing.

haiiro

First Post
The Walmart order that I put in yesterday shipped out today, and with priority (middle level) shipping it's expected arrival date is Wednesday or Thursday. Woot! :)

Oddly enough, as others have mentioned, the first shipment is just the PHB and DMG -- the MM is still processing. Still, that just means more time I can spend obsessively tracking the whereabouts of my goodies.

Er...so to speak.

Remove ads