• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ampersand to reveal mystery of the disappearing books (apparently)

Dungeoneer

First Post
Let's look at the 'disappeared' books:

The Class Compendium

Seems like there were quite a few people looking forward to this on this forum, but from my understanding this was basically a reprint of existing classes + errata. The completist in me wants that, sure, but my practically speaking its not something most of us need.

Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium
So despite the cool name, my understanding is that this was basically going to be Adventurer's Vault 3. I never found the first two that interesting, personally, and I've heard they weren't big sellers.

Hero Builder's Handbook
Actually, I don't even know what this was supposed to be. Sounds vaguely in the line of the Player's Strategy Guide? Anyone?

I guess my point is that these three books didn't represent a ton of groundbreaking new content. I'm assuming that Wizards still wants to make money and will come up with other books to sell us those months. In the meantime, we get the Heroes of Shadow book, and in hardcover no less.

So don't throw yourselves off a cliff in despair just yet!

Obryn

Hero
WTF!?!?!?!

Joining the PDFs together takes all of 3 minutes. I'm one of the few who liked to archive and read them as a whole (especially when away from the internet). Now that option is gone. This puts me in the pessimistic on the wotc/DnD future group for sure. They're pulling back from their main products, have apparently no money to spend on even simple niceties, and generally seeming like they have no good direction. It's been a long time since I've been excited by a WotC announcement, and I don't see any sign of that changing soon.
Yup, absolutely.

That's a decision that, IMO, makes not a lick of sense.

I don't look at individual articles; I look at the compiled issues.

At this point, I will not be resubscribing.

-O

Obryn

Hero
I guess my point is that these three books didn't represent a ton of groundbreaking new content. I'm assuming that Wizards still wants to make money and will come up with other books to sell us those months. In the meantime, we get the Heroes of Shadow book, and in hardcover no less.

So don't throw yourselves off a cliff in despair just yet!
I don't think that's really the point.

If they were planning other books as replacements, they would have (1) mentioned that, and (2) probably had pitches, at least, already.

Even a vague "other books" throwaway line would have indicated that.

-O

Aegeri

First Post
Let's look at the 'disappeared' books:

The Class Compendium

Seems like there were quite a few people looking forward to this on this forum, but from my understanding this was basically a reprint of existing classes + errata. The completist in me wants that, sure, but my practically speaking its not something most of us need.

I agree with your point here actually. I wasn't that keen on buying the same PHB1 classes again, even with errata.

Hero Builder's Handbook
Actually, I don't even know what this was supposed to be. Sounds vaguely in the line of the Player's Strategy Guide? Anyone?
This is the one that hurts, because it was the book with themes and other things in it. That is now gone :(

I really want themes outside of Dark Sun.

lutecius

Explorer
So, I wonder when we will see those multiclassing rules for Essentials? Ever?
good question. I don't play 4e but I like the essential design and I was waiting to see if the multiclassing rules introduced enough flexibility to start an all-essential campaign.

now I'm glad i waited to buy the books.

Klaus

First Post
I agree with your point here actually. I wasn't that keen on buying the same PHB1 classes again, even with errata.

This is the one that hurts, because it was the book with themes and other things in it. That is now gone :(

I really want themes outside of Dark Sun.

Actually, the book with themes, etc, was Champions of the Heroic Tier.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
good question. I don't play 4e but I like the essential design and I was waiting to see if the multiclassing rules introduced enough flexibility to start an all-essential campaign.

now I'm glad i waited to buy the books.
The worst part is, this information, these rules: they exist.

Class Compendium was slated for March release. With the required lead times on these products, the final PDF was likely submitted to the printer. Heck, they may have even received the physical product to warehouse.

But now, we don't get to see it, and we don't know why.

Perhaps a leaked copy will make its way online sooner or later.

Last edited:

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
But the magazines? That's another thing entirely... ditching the monthly compilations of Dragon and Dungeon articles. You might as well just call it what it is: the end of Dragon and Dungeon.

I agree, 100%.

I STRONGLY prefer the compilations. I have always, in fact, waited a few weeks before reading the content, and conveniently saved the issue alltogether. This is very disappointing.

The loss of minis is telling. Not so much because the product will be gone, but it says a lot of the futire direction of the game, IMO. (And I don't mean cardboard tokens, which I happen to like).

Lastly, I cringed at this statement, as if it is a true replacement: "While this means fewer books, we plan to deliver just as much great content for players this year through other formats, including board games, accessories, and digital offerings". Ugh. boardgames (which are fine) as a replacement for RPG content?

As a defender of all things 4E, I can still say a lot of this news makes me cringe. While I don't think they are abandoning the product line at all (ref the movie), I think they have had some mis-steps and are NOT doing the right things to recover from them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads