• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ampersand to reveal mystery of the disappearing books (apparently)

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
...except in D&D: My Little Pony, they don't have hit points, they have Heart Points. Powers using the Wonderful power source are called hugs.

This is a topic begging for a Dragon article, at least!

-AY
I love how My Little Pony is the go-to for good-natured self-deprecating D&D humour. Hasborg has quite the IP portfolio.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
The new Ampersand is up.

The Class Compendium, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium and Hero Builder's Handbook are gone. Period. Heroes of Shadow is now a hardcover April release.

Plastic miniature booster packs and magazine compilations are also gone.
Wow, that's horrible news.

I don't care one whit what format HoS was to be in, but the other books being gone, as in deleted, really sucks. I was looking forward to them. Yes, perhaps we will get snippets from them delivered as Dungeon and/or Dragon content, but... pfft.

Minis? I couldn't care less. WotC minis are silly-looking anyway.

But the magazines? That's another thing entirely... ditching the monthly compilations of Dragon and Dungeon articles. You might as well just call it what it is: the end of Dragon and Dungeon. Fail.

Updates to articles now will be made several weeks after release (probably without warning). Fail.

Probably a measure to cut costs by no longer needing any sort of cover art, and recycling several books into the magazines over the next year or so as articles; all stuff that's already paid for. Fail.

Your DDI sub just got less valuable. Again.

So, I wonder when we will see those multiclassing rules for Essentials? Ever?

Last edited:

malraux

First Post
Finally, I wanted to let you know that we’re making a change to the way we handle D&D Insider content. Subscriber data informs us that the vast majority of you consume our articles individually, when they are posted, as opposed to downloading the monthly compilations. So, starting this month, we’re just providing the articles. There won’t be any more monthly downloadable compilations.
WTF!?!?!?!

Joining the PDFs together takes all of 3 minutes. I'm one of the few who liked to archive and read them as a whole (especially when away from the internet). Now that option is gone. This puts me in the pessimistic on the wotc/DnD future group for sure. They're pulling back from their main products, have apparently no money to spend on even simple niceties, and generally seeming like they have no good direction. It's been a long time since I've been excited by a WotC announcement, and I don't see any sign of that changing soon.

Blastin

First Post
Wow.....That really doesn't bode well at all. They are trying to spin a collectable card suppliment and a board game as replacements for books????

JoeGKushner

First Post
Yeah, not too impressed.

But it does feed into one of my theories that the DDI is going to become a mainline of D&D material if all that stuff that was going to print is no just DDI.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads