An actual Chick tract was left on my door

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
My personal experience is that many, if not most, younger Catholic priests have had extensive positive experience with D&D. The literally most staunchly "conservative" priest that I know (former Marine, Latin Mass advocate, etc.) also has the largest AD&D collection I've personally ever seen. The latest D&D book was written by a Christian cleric, for that matter.

So "Christians" as such aren't in conflict with D&D, certain subcultures notwithstanding.

Excellent point sir--I have changed it to be conservative evangelical Christians (since I think this is the correct theological description?)

I've heard quite a few former military are into D&D--when you're on base at peacetime, there's a lot of dead time to kill.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Excellent point sir--I have changed it to be conservative evangelical Christians (since I think this is the correct theological description?)

I've heard quite a few former military are into D&D--when you're on base at peacetime, there's a lot of dead time to kill.
No worries - though even "conservative evangelical Christian" would apply to Gary Gygax himself and a lot of the other original D&D crowd, so really this is sub-subculture getting cut pretty finely.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Thats awesome. I wish someone loved me that much ;). I think I still have the dnd one. I keep everything in a TSR P.R. folder they sent out back in the early 90s. I had saved a lot of those dnd satanic-panic and heavy metal devil music tracts and newspaper articles that were shoved down our throats by the churches and AWANA groups in rural Minnesota.
[I believe I just had a bitter moment].
Laughable nowadays.
We were just kids and got attacked at every turn for being dnd players.
even my basketball coach asked me, "are you going to be ok? Are you going to get hurt going out into the woods with your swords?"
There was talk of welding down the manhole covers so we wouldnt end up like Tom Hanks.
Churches prayed for us and some kids werent allowed over to my house anymore.
This was rural America in the final death throws of the churchy stranglehold.
It would now be labeled as psychological child abuse--and 'get your churchy stuff out of our faces.'
Heh. Anyways, have fun with your new kindling.

GreyLord

Legend
I just came across my first one ever at Halloween. Someone handed it to my kids while trick-or-treating instead of candy.

So...IF I understand this right...

According to this, all I have to say is a few words and then I'm right there even with anyone else going to heaven.

It doesn't matter how good or bad I am according to the pamphlet, I can go out and be a mass murderer as long as I've said the words.

So...as per Chick himself...it actually doesn't matter whether I play D&D or not, it has NO BEARING on my salvation or going to heaven. As per his tract here, I just say the words and I'm good. I then can play D&D (or do whatever the heck I want...heaven can be filled with the worst people you've ever heard of as long as they say the words) to my hearts content, and I'm still going to heaven.

In essence, this tract trumps all his other tracts...wouldn't it?

Interesting dynamic he has going on there.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
So...IF I understand this right...

According to this, all I have to say is a few words and then I'm right there even with anyone else going to heaven.

It doesn't matter how good or bad I am according to the pamphlet, I can go out and be a mass murderer as long as I've said the words.

So...as per Chick himself...it actually doesn't matter whether I play D&D or not, it has NO BEARING on my salvation or going to heaven. As per his tract here, I just say the words and I'm good. I then can play D&D (or do whatever the heck I want...heaven can be filled with the worst people you've ever heard of as long as they say the words) to my hearts content, and I'm still going to heaven.

In essence, this tract trumps all his other tracts...wouldn't it?

Interesting dynamic he has going on there.

From what I understand, the repentance has to be sincere (and nobody else will know if you're lying but God sure will), but I'll let one of the Christians here chime in.

GreyLord

Legend
From what I understand, the repentance has to be sincere (and nobody else will know if you're lying but God sure will), but I'll let one of the Christians here chime in.

I'm going by his tract and what it said...not necessarily what some of the Christian religions teach.

Remove ads