• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An alternate idea for Item Creation Exp cost

Mean DM

Explorer
This thread (Loosing XP in item making) got me thinking about a recent house rule that I have been planning. I have proposed the following to my group as a House Rule. Since I am not the most mechanically inclinded DM ;), I'd appreciate any feedback, thoughts, or constructive criticism.

A character can assist in the processes of item creation. The exp cost can be paid in full by the character for which the item is being created. The only catch it that this enhancement will only work in the hands of the person who spent the XP. If the weapon is transferred, its power will dissipate in 1d4 minutes. Conversly, if returned to the original character, the previous powers will be recharged in 1d4 hours. At any point following the initial enhancement, the powers can be make permanent with the additional expenditure of 1/2 of the originial XP cost by a character with the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat.

Thanx for reading this!

Mark

Last edited:

Coredump

Explorer
Um... why? How is that a disadvantage?

It seems safe to assume that if I am willing to spend the XP, it is not to sell the device, it is for ME to use.

Isn't it an advantage to know that no one else can use it? Hell, I would make it obvious, and not worry about theives, or others wanting my stuff.

Now, if the person contributing the XP *can't* use it, that may cause some soul searching.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I suggest you take a look at Artificer's Handbook by Mystic Eye Games, which comes out later this month. We have not one, not two, but like 4 or 5 ways in which you can alter the magic item creation system without using XP as a balancing factor.

Remove ads