D&D 5E An Argument for Why Paladins are the Strongest Class in 5E D&D

My position is discussing RAW.
The rules specifically say they happen at same time.

No, they don't. The phrase "they act at the same time" is referring to their entire turn. It does not mean their Actions are all keyed to take place at precisely the same moment.

This means, as the DM, if I have a group of monsters, I can break up their moves and Actions however I like, and I don't have to do it the same way from round to round. It does not mean that all Actions are keyed to be exactly simultaneous, down to the nanosecond, because RAW, D&D rules abstract away natural, normal activity, not video-game-like animation frames.

There is nothing that prevents two DM controlled creatures from taking their turn at the same time. The precedent is literally written into the description of initiative. It even passes the common sense test, since we can both draw a gun and shoot each other successfully.

We cannot both draw guns and perfectly time our shots so that the bullets strike the same target at the same instant...let alone do so involuntarily over and over...let alone have a whole infantry regiment do so. So, no, doesn't pass the common sense test.

You don't have to agree with me, but I consider it RAW.

What you consider RAW and what's actually RAW are two wildly different things in this instance.

I whole heartedly agree with Fearsome Pirate. Reading a rule in such a way that the whole bunch of 6 orcs at initiative count 12 (for example) go all in together at the same nanosecond is both impossible and unrealistic. It is said in the rule that the DM will decide who goes first. Not that they act at the same time, but who goes first.

Initiative is just a way of deciding a random order for ease of play and to make things a little more random. It is neither RAW or RAI to allow nanosecond simultaneous actions. You can even do side initiative. The group that roll the highest goes first in any order they want. Then the second group goes in any order it wants. This simultaneous thing is way out of both RAW and RAI. But to each his own.

Ashrym

Legend
The epic boon of spell mastery allows casting one 1st-level sorcerer, warlock, or wizard spells the character knows at it's lowest level at will. A divine soul or celestial warlock who adds cure wounds and adds that boon at 20th level+ games has unlimited healing after every battle.

Who's laughing now? :p

Which DM would ever give that boon? Still... a long time to heal 400hp (assuming a 100 hp of damage per character and assuming four characters) with 1d8+5... A lot could happen during that time. It means 50 rounds on average or 5 minutes... A lot can happen during those 10 minutes.

Ashrym

Legend
Which DM would ever give that boon? Still... a long time to heal 400hp (assuming a 100 hp of damage per character and assuming four characters) with 1d8+5... A lot could happen during that time. It means 50 rounds on average or 5 minutes... A lot can happen during those 10 minutes.

Way faster than those 5MWD's I keep hearing about where a lot more can happen. ;)

The way it's worded the DM chooses the boon but the recipient chooses with spell to use it on. Investing just as much time at 20+ as getting to 20th level earns half the list already. A DM would eventually give it to a the spell caster, and I see DM's work with the player for what they want most of the time anyway.

It's faster than a short rest without costing any resources. The epic boon isn't the issue. I reworded it to state "a spell from the sorcerer, warlock, or wizard spell list that you know and can cast". More RAI, I think. RAW it's just unlimited healing available.

Arcane tricksters and eldritch knights can pick up that boon too, btw. They specifically cast wizard spells instead of having their own lists.

Remove ads