• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

an attempt to discuss the actual *content* of the BoEF

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Being that i've read the whole book I have a unique position in my ability to comment. I'll try to do so from work tonight.

I'll also repost all the free previews from the valar site in this thread.

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
ArthurQ said:
Being that i've read the whole book I have a unique position in my ability to comment. I'll try to do so from work tonight.

I'll also repost all the free previews from the valar site in this thread.

Isn't there something, like, a Kiss of Life spell? That sounded neat. I'm not sure if that's exactly what it's called. Can you describe some of the spells, etc?

BSF

Explorer
Arthur,
If you have read the book in it's entirety, then it sounds like you have playtested it to some degree. You might also be under obligation to an NDA. So, if there are specifics that you can't discuss, that's cool.

If I might throw some general requests on for info ...

How many feats are specifically geared toward the new magic system? How many feats could be used without adopting all of the book's material?

As a broad overview, how do spells breakdown?
As noted above, I like the flavor of the preview spells. So, what proportion of the remaining spells have similar flavor? How many require nominal adoption of the rules? How many require complete adoption of the rules?

How many new Classes/PrC's are there? How many have a sex-related hook as vague backstory (Such as the Vestal Virgin) compared to the ones that requirea strong sexual theme to use?

How many, and what sorts of Gods are there? What role should those play in a campaign?

How many critters are in the book?

Again, answer what you can/what you feel like. I don't need hard specifics, just a general summary of things. Other people may want mroe detailed info, so anything you can provide will be appreciated.

Ghostwind

First Post
I have the preview and I think the content of what is there is quite good if you are looking to add a more mature element into your game.

The section on alignments supplements the existing rules in that it shows how each alignment approaches relationships (and not sex) in general. While not every alignment has an example, the ones that do are well written and succeed in making you understand the thinking behind that alignment. For example, the Lawful Neutral section tells of how "the local noble has the option, nay, the duty, to initiate the newly wed into sexuality. It's a bond between the aristocracy and those who owe them fealty. It strengthens the bloodlines and makes the nobles care more about their people."

There is a very brief section on new uses for existing skills, four new feats and a variant rule adding Appearance as a seventh ability score (reminiscient of the 2nd ed. Comeliness).

The deities may not be everyone's cup of tea but are interesting. Vershnat is essentially a goblin fertility goddess while Kaladis is a deity that "formalizes the bonds of a union. He is unconcerned with love, passion, or other emotions-only the legal contract matters." Basically, marriage is a long-term commitment akin to an oath in his eyes and those who break it suffer harsh penalties. Each deity entry describes the behaviors of the clerics and has a dogma section describing the overall attitude of the deity and how it applies to campaigns. For instance, with Kaladis, arranging proper unions is crucial and many children are expected from that union so that the line may continue.

The prestige classes are primarily NPC in nature and do have some real game mechanics issues as indicated in an earlier post. The Vestigal Virgin really does not blend well with a paladin but rather should be an alternative paladin perhaps. The Disciple of Aaluran actually has some parallels in their overall attitude as worshippers of Sune do in FR. There is a more carefree attitude regarding sex and relationships. It does generate a ton of interesting adventure hooks and plot ideas for urban campaigns. The Dominator is definitely an NPC class in my opinion, and probably has what it takes to be a good add-on to an arch villain. I'd doubt I would let a player take the class because they gain some really powerful abilities like passing the pain and damge he sustains on to others. The Rake essentially uses sex appeal to get what she wants. It's more of an NPC class but I can see urban campaign rogues getting some use out of it. It's a powerful class, but the lack of strong sneak attack bonuses or the overall utility of her abilities acts as a balancing factor.

Magic and Spells gives us three new domains that fit with the overall theme of the book and several new spells. Most of the spells in the preview are sex-driven but have interesting effects. Block the Seed is the fantasy equivalent of a contraception. Fiendish Seed sets up the target to become pregnant and deliver a half-fiend child. Impotency is an overly powerful spell that permanents make one impotent plus a few other game effects. Kiss of Life is quite interesting, but I would make it bard only (as indicated in an earlier post about the mechanics issues). Mind to Mind is basically a telepathic communication spell. Reverse Gender has role-play potential written all over it. It does need to be a much higher level spell since it is permanent (Clr 2, Perversion 1, Sor/Wiz 3).

The Creatures section gives a few examples. The Fallen Cherub has tons of potential for storylines but would unlikely see much use. The Pleasure Golem is also more of a plot device. The Greater Succubus has, perhaps, the most utility of any of the creatures presented. MOre devastating than your typical succubus, this creature is not only a good plot device but also makes for good encounters for those cocky (no pun intended) adventurers.

Overall, the content in the book isn't bad despite the subject matter. Anthony has promoted the book to be more than just sex and that there is a lot of information on relationships and how they can be applied in game terms so I am interested in seeing the final product. The preview didn't have much regarding that, but then again, I didn't expect it would. Would I use the book in my world? Probably some of it based on what I've seen, but not heavily. Like any other d20 book, in all likelihood, I'll pick the parts I want and need and shelf the rest.

[EDIT: Spelling]

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
Djeta Thernadier said:
Isn't there something, like, a Kiss of Life spell? That sounded neat. I'm not sure if that's exactly what it's called. Can you describe some of the spells, etc?

Djeta, yes, there is a spell called Kiss of Life. It is my favorite example to keep bringing up! :)

For anyone that wants to see the previews, you can go to Valar Project Home Page. You will need to register as a user to see the previews. (For that reason, I would think that it would be better for ArthurQ to not post the previews. If Valar feels the need to self-censor, by requiring registration, that should probably be respected.) You will see examples of the artwork by entering the site. Personally, I don't find the previews offensive, but YMMV. I just want to provide fair warning. :)

Sirius_Black

First Post
Ghostwind said:
The section on alignments supplements the existing rules in that it shows how each alignment approaches relationships (and not sex) in general. While not every alignment has an example, the ones that do are well written and succeed in making you understand the thinking behind that alignment.

Well, that's disappointing that not all alignments are shown. I agree with you that the preview of the one alignment's view on relationships was very well written.

Thanks for the information. I look forward to getting the book, hopefully, and being able to judge it myself as well.

shadow

First Post
I've not seen the preview, but from what I've heard, it contains a lot of fetishes and bondage- a fair amount of "kink". Not exactly my definition of erotic.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
shadow said:
I've not seen the preview, but from what I've heard, it contains a lot of fetishes and bondage- a fair amount of "kink". Not exactly my definition of erotic.

To me that was the artwork in the preview.

My feeling on the book is that I will view it as I do BoVD and Villian Design, something to use for reference and to build NPCs, stories and plots from (that is if I buy the book) as a DM not a player.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I doubt I'll buy the book of Erotic Fantasy as I can't imagine it serving any purpose in my games.

What romantic elements I have in the game can be sufficiently modelled by Charisma, Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate rolls...and I have exactly *zero* need for mechanics of the physical acts of sexuality (Which I'm not even sure the Book of Erotic Fantasy contains).

It just seems to me that I spent most of the 1980's with people think that roleplaying meant Satan Worship. Now here at the beginning of the millenium, it often gets assumed that when I'm talking about Role Playing that it is of the "Spankings by a hooker dressed up as a nurse" variety.

In both cases the ill infomred public was wrong, but The Book of Erotic Fantasy seems to change the answer from "wrong" to "not entriely wrong".

But I'll suck it up and take the hit. Hell, people thought I was sacrificing cats to Satan in the 80's, how much worse can it be having folks think that I'm tying up some hot chick and making her call me master? :)

I wish Anthony Valterra and his crew well though. Their booth at Gen Con was a fun one, and they employed my favorite booth babe this year (or any year actually) Calle (hope I got the spelling right-ish)

babe9b.jpg

Remove ads