An Awesome Moment

Tewligan

First Post
That is pretty cool!

Although, not to be a wet blanket, buuut...wasn't the mount just an animal, and therefore probably not know the word "stumble"? Or is knowing the language of the command not a prereq for the 4e version of Command?

mlund

First Post
That is pretty cool!

Although, not to be a wet blanket, buuut...wasn't the mount just an animal, and therefore probably not know the word "stumble"? Or is knowing the language of the command not a prereq for the 4e version of Command?

No. All that is required is a target "One creature." The Divine Power of the Prayer forces the creature to comply regardless of intelligence, linguistics, or even the ability to hear. Whatever word you choose to make the emphasis of Command (it is only for Role-playing Purposes anyway, you can say "Bananas" and get the same effect) you daze them and can choose to both knock them prone and slide them a certain number of squares.

Now go hang your wet blank out on the clothes line. :)

- Marty Lund

Padraig

First Post
My question is this: how did you get the rest of the party to comply with your cleric's shining moment? My point is that this is a great cinematic story moment but for a group of players it's one guy hogging the spot light. You could argue that the risks were so great that no one was willing to potentially sacrifice their character, but really D&D isn't made for the "go on, save yourselves!" moment. For my part it would be "That's bulls**t! Move over, I'm standing here, too!" Your group must have a real bond. Does someone else get to stand on the bridge of Kazad-Dum next time?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
My point is that this is a great cinematic story moment but for a group of players it's one guy hogging the spot light.

I think it's more likely that he's playing with socially well-adjusted people who take turns sharing the spotlight instead of insisting that it be on them at all times.

Padraig

First Post
I think it's more likely that he's playing with socially well-adjusted people who take turns sharing the spotlight instead of insisting that it be on them at all times.

You are making that assumption based on what? The story he tells has one guy standing on the bridge.

Admittedly I play with my sons and some of their friends so the dynamic might well be different.

Anyway, my post was an honest question. Sharing the spotlight is great in principle but in practice how would such a thing work for moments like this one? It's not every day an over-powered encounter can be wrapped up with one prayer. Hopefully the DM throws them a bone and the fighter can hold up a portcullis while the rest of the party runs through or something but, honestly, it seems tricky to me. Solving encounters as team is what the game is geared towards, especially with 4E, where every class is built to have their moment to shine (in combat, anyway).

So I guess another question is: how much fun was this encounter for the other members of the group?

Pat

Crothian

First Post
I imagine it was a lot of fun. I love it when my friends take the spot light and get to shine in moments like this. It is a lot of fun for us to watch our friends succeed in critical and highly improbable moments. We know that our time to shine will come and it is more fun for everyone when the other players are willing to step back and let one player shine every now and again.

I'm also not sure how "Save yourself" is not part of D&D. D&D has proven to me to be a very versatile game allowing for all sorts of play styles.

Tewligan

First Post
No. All that is required is a target "One creature." The Divine Power of the Prayer forces the creature to comply regardless of intelligence, linguistics, or even the ability to hear. Whatever word you choose to make the emphasis of Command (it is only for Role-playing Purposes anyway, you can say "Bananas" and get the same effect) you daze them and can choose to both knock them prone and slide them a certain number of squares.
Ah, I did not know that! I'm not familiar with 4e, so I was just wondering if the spell had changed, or if part of it was overlooked/handwaved in this instance. Apparently it's the former, so well-played, sir!

Oh, and Command just has that one effect now? Or can it be used to give other...well, commands? :)

Remove ads