• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Incredible Sacrifice!

schporto

First Post
A couple ideas....
Banishment from homeland to save the land.
Loss of arm to save something.
Loss of family heirloom sword (and thus hatred of family).
Being ostracized from family due to your belief in a different god.

-cpd

Take a vow of poverty, silence, or mercy.

I'm particularly keen on the vow of mercy - the other players don't really like the whole 'I'm not going to kill anything that isn't stinking with evil AND an immediate threat to our safety... I might fight it to unconsciousness, but the give it a chance to redeem itself... not going to kill it outright' thing, though.

Doesn't mean that you *can't* kill... but, that you will not kill so much.

I really like the idea of giving up the ability to rage... it sucks, true. But, eventually maybe it could be replaced with a Religious Zeal for your particular God? ... could easily be worked into a vow of mercy.

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
drnuncheon said:
Rage isn't generally thought of as very saintly. Sacrificing your ability to do that would definitely qualify as 'important'.

J

That was my exact thought as well. Give up your rage ability.

The DM may (MAY) let you get it back from time to time when the situation really warrants it.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
I really like the idea of giving up the ability to rage... it sucks, true.
It's not an extraordinary sacrifice if it doesn't suck. If you don't have to think long and hard about it, you're not giving up enough.

Romnipotent

First Post
I only rage when I could smite, Smrage as we call it. I dont speak much anyway, and I am calm while raging.

"It's not an extraordinary sacrifice if it doesn't suck. If you don't have to think long and hard about it, you're not giving up enough." Thats why death is a big whoop as sacrifice to me, I always have been able to come back, rich game. I already donate to orphanages and churches of good aligned deities and community focused groups.

The character would stay behind to guard a great door to evil for all eternity even. These are just character traits, and while some would see it as a great sacrtifice, it wouldn't be for him. Thats the problem when all you can think is "but its duty, and honour, and I must do it... even though Im a free spirit and all that..."

Argh the tumour grows:p

fafhrd

First Post
Romnipotent said:
I dont speak much anyway, and I am calm while raging.

Either I'm confused or you are. Have you reinterpreted the concept of rage to be righteous indignation or somesuch?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Giving up Rage is entirely too much of a sacrifice. Remember, Sainthood doesn't require the loss of class abilities. It'd say so if it did.

I'd go with something like voluntarily subjecting yourself to torture and abuse to save another (like, say, trading yourself to the LE Baron to save an innocent shepherd girl). Or, go find a list of medieval saints and see why they were canonized.

Brad

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
fafhrd said:
Either I'm confused or you are. Have you reinterpreted the concept of rage to be righteous indignation or somesuch?

Actually if you think of Rage as taping into a spiritual power source within (sort of like Ki for a Monk) then their is no reason why rage should not be calm - intensely focussed and beyond outside distraction - but calm nonetheless

Not all rages need be frothing-at-the-mouth, gurgling, blood-frenzies

dvvega

Explorer
You mention that to your character duty and honor are part of him so it is no sacrifice to do those things ... but what if those very things ARE what you must sacrifice.

What would happen to your character if they were duty and honor bound to guard against a great evil, but their true love, or their best friends needed him to lift just a single finger.

However by lifting that finger you go against your duty and honor. It seems to be the most important aspect of your character.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads