D&D 5E An inexperienced DM is asking for your pennies ...

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Run Kingmaker from Pathfinder.

Mod it to 5e.

Profit.

Kingmaker is a hexcrawl/exploration/kingdom-building pre-generated Campaign Path that is large enough that you can also drop anything you please within its "walls". At its outset, the player(s) are told "Go south, map the wilds, and you will be given resources to found a kingdom as your reward."

Kingmaker is directly responsible for those same city-building rules you want to use; consider the ones in Kingmaker itself the "beta" of the new ones and USE the new ones in place of those.

He'll get his dinger up with all of the resource management and buildings; you'll have him crawling in dungeons and ruins and what not in order to clear hexes for his territory. Win-win.

Will Doyle

Explorer
Meet in the middle. Set the game in a campaign world where scheming warlords vie for control of a continent-sized dungeon. The Emperor of Puzzles wages an unending war against the Prince of Traps, while kobold wildtribes continually reconfigure the dungeon wastes that lie between them.

Nickolaidas

Explorer
Run Kingmaker from Pathfinder.

Mod it to 5e.

Profit.

Kingmaker is a hexcrawl/exploration/kingdom-building pre-generated Campaign Path that is large enough that you can also drop anything you please within its "walls". At its outset, the player(s) are told "Go south, map the wilds, and you will be given resources to found a kingdom as your reward."

Kingmaker is directly responsible for those same city-building rules you want to use; consider the ones in Kingmaker itself the "beta" of the new ones and USE the new ones in place of those.

He'll get his dinger up with all of the resource management and buildings; you'll have him crawling in dungeons and ruins and what not in order to clear hexes for his territory. Win-win.

If I'm not mistaken, Kingmaker is the same 'engine' they finally released in Pathfinder - Ultimate Campaign. We used that book. Aside from the city building, the entire army management/conquest/mass combat rules are abstract and vague as flark. They don't even tell you what happens when you wish to claim an already claimed hex by another kingdom. Do you need an army to claim it? Is the hex supposed to contain enough troops / patrols to dissuade a PC party from claiming it? Do I need to think of these things myself?

It doesn't say.

Say, how much does it cost to hire gnoll ranger mercenaries of lvl 1? Answer: Beats me! It doesn't say. Anyway, nothing that can't be house-ruled per se, but it does hurt the impact of the book's quality (especially when it refers to a 'brothel' building, and that building type is nowhere to be found). Horrible proofreading.

Which is why we turned to the Mass Combat rules of the Rules Cyclopaedia.

But anyway, I think I made up my mind. I'm not going to work in campaigns. I am going to write stand-alone adventures, with the necessary buildings, towns, and dungeons as necessary, without having to take into account anything from the previous sessions. The only thing which is going to stay is the XP accumulated by my players' party from the previous adventures. Basically, I am going to treat it like a standalone published adventure.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Is he a bad player for wanting all this stuff because he's spoiled by the video games? Am I a bad DM for not giving my player what my player wants, simply because I find it tedious and a bit of a drag? Are we both bad for trying to enforce our wants and needs and should probably go our separate gaming ways?
Yes. ;P

Thoughts?
It's a funny thing, because one DM I know has been running a campaign for years that has that sort of theme, it's like a SimCity D&D campaign, the party's building up this town that they've founded, and doing all sorts of things that impact the campaign world and have consequences for their place in it. It really has little to do with the D&D rules (or any specific rules, AFAIK), themselves.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If I'm not mistaken, Kingmaker is the same 'engine' they finally released in Pathfinder - Ultimate Campaign. We used that book. Aside from the city building, the entire army management/conquest/mass combat rules are abstract and vague as flark. They don't even tell you what happens when you wish to claim an already claimed hex by another kingdom. Do you need an army to claim it? Is the hex supposed to contain enough troops / patrols to dissuade a PC party from claiming it? Do I need to think of these things myself?

It doesn't say.
The city-building system is in Ultimate Campaign, sure, which is why I said to use it in place of the one in the actual Adventure Path. But also, it's an _Adventure Path_ - you may not be aware of all of the dungeons/stuff he has to explore to get resources before these issues ever become a problem.

Spoilers follow....

[sblock]The first adventure has the heroes "go south" into the wilds of an uncharted forest. Their goal is to chart every hex in an area and return. Once this is completed, they are given Resource Points with which to start their first town.

There are something like 26 hexes with stuff in them, some of them role-playing opportunities, some of which are natural traps, a few are points of interest, a bunch of fights, and the meat of the adventure is a Thieves' Fort with a guy in charge called the Stag Lord.

Now, it also turns out that should the heroes defeat the Stag Lord, they can either turn him over to a second town or someone will come from there to investigate; regardless, the players get more Resource Points.

This all takes the heroes to level 3.

Then, the city-building can begin. The heroes spend up to a year to clear hexes and do stuff with the city, and then...

More hex-crawling. Each campaign month, the players get a special "city-building" turn where you follow the Ultimate Campaign stuff based on what your players picked for their town.[/sblock]Also, on some level, yes, you're responsible for putting in details that are not covered in the Path. That's your job as DM. It's also your job to make sure you're having fun, too, though - so this is the opportunity to add in extra dungeons if you like.

Last edited:

Remove ads