• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An innocent Terrasque?

random user

First Post
While I still haven't decided what I believe, I will note that among my initial thoughts, perhaps the other party members thought it similar to a tornado or hurricane (which also both kill lots of people and damage lots of property, but I don't think anyone would call evil.)

If I get other decent thoughts on this, I'll post them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
ShadowX said:
But there is no better predictor of the future than the past.

Being the best available predictor does not make it a good predictor. :)

A person of any alignment can, under a particular situation, act against that alignment. That's all there is to it. A lawful person can decide to go out and get drunk once in a while. A chaotic person can get a bug in his hear about an obscure form of honor. It happens, and one should not be surprised.

Plus, in this case, you're talking about predicting the behavior of a chaotic character - one who is devoted more to freedom of choice and defying patterns than anything else! You're saying that the person who tends to not stick to patterns will... stick to a patern? :)

Aeric

Explorer
Nothing to add that hasn't already been said by others, except this:

CN characters screaming about dishonorable acts? Honor is a code of conduct which requires self-discipline, a trait of Lawful characters, not Chaotic ones. Although I suppose they could have been honorable on a whim that day, that would certainly have been Chaotic of them. :)

Dancer

Explorer
While I still haven't decided what I believe, I will note that among my initial thoughts, perhaps the other party members thought it similar to a tornado or hurricane (which also both kill lots of people and damage lots of property, but I don't think anyone would call evil.)

On the other hand, if people had a chance to stop/destroy a tornado or hurricane before it could kill lots of people and damage lots of property, I'm pretty sure that's what they'd do. Unless of course, their goal was lots of death and property destruction.

Last edited:

I say that any PC who tries to kill the Tarrasque instead of somehow getting it to do his bidding is an idiot.

My bard and druid have a Charm Monster and an animal empathy check respectively with the Tarrasque's name on them.

That being said, an enlightened person probably wouldn't kill the Tarrasque, but instead, would try to tame it so it wouldn't do any harm. At least that's what I'd try to do in that situation if it was in my power. True, it'd be atypical of a medieval atmosphere to have such progressive thinking, but that doesn't mean D&D characters should start burning heretics alive and buying slaves. A thirtieth-level character should be denied use of the "I'm only following the typical mentality" excuse.

Last edited:

Trickstergod

First Post
Aeric said:
Nothing to add that hasn't already been said by others, except this:

CN characters screaming about dishonorable acts? Honor is a code of conduct which requires self-discipline, a trait of Lawful characters, not Chaotic ones. Although I suppose they could have been honorable on a whim that day, that would certainly have been Chaotic of them. :)

Not to throw too big of a monkey wrench into this discussion, but I hold to the opinion that a chaotic character can, indeed, hold to a code of honor.

The point is, though, that it's a personal code as opposed to one from an outside source; i.e., a guild, knightly order, war college, etc.

Most people have their own internal code of morality, after all. A soldier, for example, who adamantly refuses to obey an order from a superior because it violates some personal code of conduct or morality would, in my opinion, be acting in a very chaotic fashion, whereas the soldier who went along with his superior despite any moral or ethical objections would be acting in a lawful manner, in my opinion (presuming the superior's order was in line with what his authority actually granted him to do; not following an 'illegal' order seems lawful).

Zappo

Explorer
It doesn't really matter whether the Tarrasque is innocent or guilty, neutral or evil. It doesn't even matter whether we are applying medieval morals, modern morals, or something in-between. The involved characters' alignment is largely irrelevant as well. There is really no dilemma at all. The Tarrasque is an extremely dangerous animal, which has already caused widespread death and destruction, and which cannot be reliably contained. Medieval people would kill it. Modern people would kill it. Honorable people would kill it. Barbarians would kill it. Good people would kill it. Evil people would kill it. You've got to be nuts not to kill it if you have the occasion to do so with little risk. Would you let yourself die of some plague out of respect for the bacteria's life?

Daedrova

First Post
To answer a few questions:

The battle ended favorably for the Elven character. He is a master of two-weapon fighting, and uses shortswords, so he didn’t have much of a problem dealing damage even after he was swallowed by the Terrasque. (killed it in 3 rounds) However, after he did kill the beast from the inside and exited via means described in the MM he found himself almost a mile below the surface of the sea, under a ton of pressure.
The lair of the beast was in a (magical?) pocket of air in this cave far below the surface. It had easy access to the sea, where the water met the edge of one section of the cave.

He didn’t get much of a chance to follow up with the Terrasque… as in separate tiny fragments of its body one from another so it couldn’t quickly reform (deal enough damage as too keep it so far below 0 that it wouldn’t be up any time in the near future). That would allow him time to find means to permanently dispose of the beast…which could have been done with a ring of wishes- a very thing we came upon earlier in the dungeon of the wizard (the mysterious figure mentioned in first post), had we identified it earlier.

Anyway, after my character swam back to the cave he waited for some time to see if the beast would re-emerge. It did not. He then flew quickly back up to the surface to make sure that the beast hadn’t made its way to the land and waited there also for some hours, patrolling across the shore of the sea.

Oh, what were the other two doing this whole time? They left the dungeon and decided to take all the treasure found and sort through it, then … played chess…. Which they continued to do for those hours I was on the shore. They also made it a point to ask the DM how long a fight like that would take- how long their characters would figure before they “knew Aerendor (my character) was probably not coming back out alive.”

As to finding another means of dealing with the beast- I am sure a pocket dimension would work great… until another evil wizard came upon information about the creature and decided to use it for his own means. Not to mention the fact that a Ranger/Fighter doesn’t have access to ANY of those other types of magical control mentioned above. If there was any good way to deal with the creature other than killing it, the wizard had the means to do it, but she did never even hinted at offering another suggestion other than leaving it be to ravage and kill at its whim…

Philip: “Their promise of not helping you was their way of saying: 'This means a lot to us, if you are our friend, don't do this'.”

That is assuming that argument is even valid, because it could just as easily be turned around (which is closer to the actuality of the argument) to be : “It means a lot to me and to the world to prevent this creature from continued rampages of great destruction. If you are my friends, help me.”

Furthermore, if what you stated was their meaning, that is what they would have said. By their attitude and implications they showed no amount of concern for my character’s well being. It seemed to me petty spitefulness toward not being agreed with. The assumption was “we know he can’t permanently kill it without us, so we are not going to help. That way he will be forced to go along with our idea about this.”

Philip: “Two Chaotic Neutral friends leaving another 30th lvl character facing off against a CR 20 Tarrasque because they disagree on principles....
That's like your girlfriend asking you to get the hornet you discovered in your home outside alive, and you deciding you want to kill it instead (because it might sting someone).”

This is an extreme case of meta-game thinking. There is not “CR” in game. It is known that this is an extremely powerful beast with the power to destroy nearly anything in its path. My character is both confident and courageous however, which is part of the reason he remained to deal with the creature after being abandoned and betrayed by his long time friends. On top of that, he has a concern for the welfare of human/elven, etc. life. Most humans are Neutral (which is as true in real life as it is clearly stated in the Core books) and would share that same concern. It does not take a good alignment to care about people. Being good is much more than just feeling.

The comparison to a wasp I find ridiculous. There is a HUGE difference between “stinging someone” and “destroying everything and everyone in its path, killing thousands.” Assuming that that absurd humanistic response is even somewhat relative to the situation- I would say that it would be perfectly reasonable to kill the wasp as to have it avoid it possibly stinging someone- it is in your house, and hornets are an aggressive insect- that is a very likely thing to happen. Add to that you are putting yourself at a much higher risk of being stung while trying to put the thing outside (where it could quite possibly make its way back inside in the near future and sting someone) than by just killing it… Not to mention that some people (who’s lives are unquestionably more valuable that that of an insects) are extremely allergic to such stings and may die as a result of one.

DonaldRumsfeldsTofu : “I say that any PC who tries to kill the Tarrasque instead of somehow getting it to do his bidding is an idiot.

My bard and druid have a Charm Monster and an animal empathy check respectively with the Tarrasque's name on them…”

As much as I appreciate the blatant insult… I must say that you should think about that which you say before making such bold statements.

Nice that a Bard would have the ability to Charm Monster, I did not have that option. Of course, you are making the assumption that such a spell would actually work- I don’t have the MM on me, but I know that the Terrasque has a healthy amount of resistances and immunities concerning magical effects.

Oh… you would try to use Wild empathy on the Magical Beast? Have fun being eaten. Even if it was just an animal (making wild empathy even plausible) it would require you to wake the beast, and then take 1 minute of attempting to change its attitude… even then you are assuming that the change in attitude would stop it from eating your, or that you even had a chance to succeed at the check- which you wouldn’t as you would be summarily attacked and digested in that amount of time. And then there would be the issue of having to keep the creature fed… which we know requires entire villages of people in volume to do. Unless of course you believe that starving the creature to death is somehow better or less cruel (also assuming that these characters should even be in the mind frame of modernistic moral ideology)

That is the most pretentious post I have seen in some time… and I suppose you are the enlightened one

A salute to you Zappo, for addressing some of the other issues clearly and efficiently.

Philip

Explorer
Zappo said:
It doesn't really matter whether the Tarrasque is innocent or guilty, neutral or evil. It doesn't even matter whether we are applying medieval morals, modern morals, or something in-between. The involved characters' alignment is largely irrelevant as well. There is really no dilemma at all. The Tarrasque is an extremely dangerous animal, which has already caused widespread death and destruction, and which cannot be reliably contained. Medieval people would kill it. Modern people would kill it. Honorable people would kill it. Barbarians would kill it. Good people would kill it. Evil people would kill it. You've got to be nuts not to kill it if you have the occasion to do so with little risk. Would you let yourself die of some plague out of respect for the bacteria's life?

The fact that the dilemma was posted, that characters have argued over this, and that posters here are voicing differing opinions proves that your wrong.

Ever seen Godzilla?

Philip

Explorer
Daedrova said:
Anyway, after my character swam back to the cave he waited for some time to see if the beast would re-emerge. It did not. He then flew quickly back up to the surface to make sure that the beast hadn’t made its way to the land and waited there also for some hours, patrolling across the shore of the sea.

Do you mean to say that instead of a sleeping Tarrasque the world now has to deal with an awakened Tarrasque, and you don't know where it is?

Maybe your 'friends' were selfish/stupid not to help, but now you have created a problem where there was none before.

Maybe another analogy would do: While trying to do 'the good thing' by attempting to disable a timebomb, you were inadequately equipped and trained, didn't wait for backup, and now you accidentallly set it of.

Daedrova said:
They also made it a point to ask the DM how long a fight like that would take- how long their characters would figure before they “knew Aerendor (my character) was probably not coming back out alive.”

This now seems like a meta-game issue. Either the other player's characters were never your friends, or the other PLAYERS wanted to teach you a lesson by letting your character face the big T alone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads